Luna Cycles Offers the Gear Sensor to its Customers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna Cycles Offers the Gear Sensor to its Customers

Luna Cycles has been added to the list list of distributors of the Gear Sensor product.

http://gearsensor.com/distributors

We will start proudly selling this product to BBS02 and BBSHD customers starting in February.

Also any other dealer who wants to offer them can freely buy them at a fair price from us.

Good times :)

So how does it work? And how does it connect onto bbsxx systems? Will it be plug and play or require modifying the existing wiring?

Comment

For existing owners you would have to change the controller....it requires a special connector to be on your controller. we will be offering a discount on controllers for existing customers who already own a bbsx and who want to switch out. Its a big debate on whether the gear sensor is really needed or not. Mostly we will be able to sale our units with an optional gear sensors so nobody can say their bbs02 or bbshd is better and worth more because it has the gear sensor.

Comment

luna cycles caption must be killing competition!!! :D

Comment

That's a great option to offer! I would have ordered it. Great to see you constantly adding more and more!

I'm using a hall sensor on the front brake - I just tap that brake lever like a clutch while shifting. I think that's a decent solution for guys with existing BBSHSs from Luna that don't have the feature, if they don't wan to change out the controller. I still may upgrade, though, undecided. Timing is critical with the 'clutch switch' method.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I have to weigh in. I was among the first testers and sent GS to the competition 2 years ago. You can find the thread on ES. While a lot of new users think they are great, I still think they are just not needed. I have 4 samples returned to me by long time eBike builders that all thought they were overrated. I have one that installs into the brake cable and after a week I took it off. A simple back pedal or brake tap works for me. Some power users think they are a help. But being an experienced rider and used to shifting, I'm in the MEH, no big deal crowd. Mine are in the parts box and an interesting interlude. That said, others love them. YMMV. I'm glad we have them. We'll do a better job of supporting them and maybe I'll be convinced.
            Last edited by Louis; 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, good points.

As I get more used to shifting with the brake tap, I'm sure it will become natural. I still muck up the timing once in a while, as in not just a 'click and then nice quiet chain noise' - I sometimes get a slight gnashing grind due to power on during the shift. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.4

But, as a marketing feature, I do think shift sensor is a good thing to offer. For users not used to manually shifting, it could be an attractive feature and thus help Luna better compete in that market. Some folks have more mechanical aptitude than others, those with less may prefer to have the option. Kind of like how I always order the M/T option for cars, but others prefer automatics.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

It'll be popular. No doubt. When built into the pric especially. As a $90 add on as first introduced, I wasn't hopefull. I still think it's just something else to trouble shoot.

Comment

I get the sense that this would be a good option in the builder-selling-to-public category. I like the idea, but I have been using the stock Bafang brake shifting technique and I agree with Louis...meh....

DrD

Comment

I'm excited to try the controller version. The versions I tested were like the HWBS, and used the shifter cable. Having it work with the controller may be an entirely different animal.
                    As soon as Eric sends one I'll beat on it, with an open mind. I liked the concept from the first read. The cable version was a definite MEH. But I can still learn...HTFU Eric! ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post
                      A simple back pedal or brake tap works for me.
                      That's the second time I heard someone mention backpedaling as a shifting method. Could you go into some detail about it? My build isn't finished but I asked a friend who's got a bbshd and he said it didn't seem to cut power so maybe I misunderstand how all that works.

Comment

Basically in PAS just turn the cranks reverse direction of normal pedal direction by 1/8 rotation and motor cuts out. I basically start my back pedal and hit my shifter at same time and pause till shifter is done, tenths of seconds. How effective this technique is for you may depend on your derailleur. Good quality derailleurs will shift under power with little trouble unless you are at 1500W full throttle at slow speed on a hill I guess.

I didn't come up with it but first time trying it out I got comfortable using this technique. I let off the throttle before I shift if I I'm using throttle, pedaling backwards doesn't cut out throttle. I found I like PAS for most of my commuting situations, but throttle has its place as well I have found.
                        Last edited by BikeB4Drive; 02-27-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

So if you are in PAS and want to shift to the highest gear do you repeat this process for each gear, or can you just backpedal and shift through like five gears at once?

Comment

If I'm cresting a hill I can back pedal and jump shift a bunch of gears. The gearing keeps you from bogging down the drive so jumping a bunch of gears in one action only works in certain situations.

Comment

If you ever try a NuVinci CVT, you very likely will toss your derailleurs in the parts bin along with your gear sensor and never look back! Smoooth as butter and NO noise! You can even shift at a stop! They are too heavy and have some internal friction (that lessens with break in time)that makes them less than ideal for pedal only cycling (IMHO) but are near perfect for ebikes!

Comment

Working...
                              X