No announcement yet.

Luna Cycles Offers the Gear Sensor to its Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never tried one but have looked into them and read some about the CVT's. I would like to try them out, they seem ideal as noted by Rix Ryds. I'm not about to give up my standard cog/derailleur setup because it was existing to my bike, works well enough (I've had zero problems in 70 miles and don't see any coming), field replaceable, but needs weekly tuning (basically cleaning) so you don't need to mess with the derailleur during a ride. Get a CVT if the costs are no big deal, try the derailleur first if cost is a concern. A cheap derailleur (below Shimano XT grade or similar) is likely going to be a disappointment after a short time, especially if it isn't kept clean.

Comment

I wish the Nexus 3 wasn't so loud or I would have got that when building my rear wheel. Got a bike with one of those for my mother and the constant clicking is a bit unnerving. Damn shame though, that IGH seems to be the only one on the market priced reasonably.

Comment

How much work is it to change the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by KBilly View Post
          How much work is it to change the controller?
          It not too bad...maybe 20 minutes the first time you do it.....

Comment

Just make sure all the connectors are well seated. They are all Anderson except one.

Comment

Ok, I should be able to manage that, are they available to existing BBSHD customers yet? Link...?

Comment

• Louis
                Louis commented
                Editing a comment
                You'll see them on the web pages as soon as they are.

With a 250 W motor changing gear causes fewer problems. On my current build I am adding a cut out button which I will use for gear changing (Nexus 8 Inter) if I need to. I don't have and will not have brake cut off switches because I don't have a throttle.

Comment

• Louis
                Louis commented
                Editing a comment
                Americans don't buy 250 and 350 as a rule. I love my BBS01. Nicest conversion ever. One will stay in daily service.

What would you consider the best nuvinci? For eBikes.

Comment

I had a warranty return on a wonky BBSHD controller and Eric was kind enough to give me the option of upgrading to a GS. I have a couple of IGHs and a 10-speed deraileur on my ebikes. Honestly, I plan to try it on the IGHs if possible since I have become comfortable with the backpedal technique on my deraileur bike and I think the GS may be well suited for use by my spouse and other relative novices. i e it might help with training to not have to worry about being embarrassed by grinding gears, just being able to shift at stop signs seemed to be a welcome effect of our previous Nexus 3s.
                Last edited by Lance Tesla; 03-21-2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Does the upgraded controller at http://lunacycle.com/motors/bafang-m...ntroller-3077/ have the gear sensor plug? What's the difference between the derailleur version and the IGH version of the gear sensor?

Comment

Here's what Karl thinks,
                    Are there different gear sensors for IGH and Derailers?
                    Yes, figure out what setup you’re using and get the right gear sensor for your setup. If you are using a CVT like a Nuvinci N330, N360, N380 or N171 or if you are using a Roloff IGH then you will want the gear sensor for standard derailleurs (not the IGH gear sensor). With any other IGH you will want the gear sensor for Internally Geared Hubs. I know, it’s really confusing, blame someone else, I just work here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovelight View Post
                      What's the difference between the derailleur version and the IGH version of the gear sensor?
                      This from Radim Mráz
                      gearsensor.com / Head of Sales, Co-owner

"The difference between GS-I and GS-D is in SW setting (there is no any mechanical different). We have this difference in SW, because both shifting systems (hubs and derailleurs) do have different shifting process. But I can't share more detailed information as it is our know how :-)"

Comment

I'm thinking of getting the gear sensor. This means I also need to upgrade the controller... what is the difference between the two controller versions?

Comment

The gear sensor can be plugged into the brake input, avoiding a replacement.
                          Alan B

Comment

Still wouldn't mind knowing what the difference is between the two controller versions. Are these new controllers better than the stock version that came with the motor?

Comment

Working...
                            X