Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Luna Video 300 pound rider hill climb with 50 amp controllers and PF batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Luna Video 300 pound rider hill climb with 50 amp controllers and PF batteries

Please check it out and tell me what you think.

Just spent the whole day and night editing that video.

After lugging our drone to the top of the hill we realized we forgot the memory card ....so this video is lacking the drone footage we usalally have :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrLDyMUhW0

Still awesome, and maybe the beginning of more events for get-togethers...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post

After lugging our drone to the top of the hill we realized we forgot the memory card ....so this video is lacking the drone footage we usalally have :)

Cool video. I liked it was the bbshd any different on his bike ? It looked blinged out with a silver cover .I'm wondering is there Any 2017 version of the bbshd coming soonish im Looking at buying a new motor soon anything worth waiting for please .

Comment

Great vid! How steep is that climb?

Comment

• Eric Luna
          Eric Luna commented
          Editing a comment
          it was 1000 feet in 3.5 miles.... not too steep.

• LI-ghtcycle
          LI-ghtcycle commented
          Editing a comment
          Still, over that long of a distance, the constant climb makes for an impressive run! The 2 mile hill here in Oregon City is about the same over-all grade, (yours was about 5.4% using an online calc.) but that really adds up over such a long distance!

Good to see how well all the bikes performed! I judge a system on how well it climbs our steepest road in town which would be Pearl Street (7% grade, 75ft increase over 0.2 miles) and not many can handle that let alone the average of approximately 5% over 2 miles. : )

Looks like a really cool ride!

Comment

Fun video, but you gotta teach yourself to use Adobe Premiere, the 3D text is just...too much. What is this? 1995?

Comment

• Eric Luna
            Eric Luna commented
            Editing a comment
            i know premiere :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161019-205437.png
Views:	2
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	20848 50 amp controllers and PF batteries , sweet as looking cooling fins .it's getting hot in here so take off all your clothes!! .I don't know what else is in there but I want one . What a tease *!

Comment

I don't know how many people have ridden an E-Bike over this kind of distance with a constant up-hill grade, but I can tell you in my own experience, not even most DD Hub motors can accomplish this much less with low heat!!

I judge a E-Bike by it's ability to climb a 7% grade to start for 0.2 miles followed by nearly another 2 miles of 5% average here in Oregon city, and VERY few that I have tested over the last 7 years have been able to do it at all, and MOST would either:

A) burn them selves out (in the case of a friction drive I was using), make more heat than forward motion, even with strong pedaling, and stuggle to the point that I was just now riding an extra heavy bicycle up hill, or

B) Climb the hill but use 2x the energy and require way more battery, thus requiring much heavier batteries, and in the case of a DD hub motor in the rear wheel, have a motor winding that either gave you good climbing OR good speed on the flat, NOT both.

That is why I first started experimenting with my Amped Bikes DD hub motor as mid-drive many years ago, but unless you're like me and also want to carry a heavy cargo trailer, and loaded up cargo bike, I cannot see anything out there possibly better than the BBSHD, particularly with the new 50amp controller since most riders are not going to be planning on lugging around 150 - 200lbs of cargo with their E-Bike!

Hats off to you Eric, this is truly exciting!

Correct me if I am wrong, but it's my understanding that California is or has made different classes of E-Bikes so that you can have a high powered bike that would only be restricted or at least less restricted for some applications? For my needs, 2000w constant for climbing hills with heavy cargo would be about right, and if I am then restricted to no more than a speed - pedelectric (28 - 30 mph while pedaling) that would be perfect!

Comment

Can someone please tell me is the 2017 bbshd modifications going to completely transferable with the current bbshd? I'm looking at buying a new motor this week if it's not going to be compatible with all the upgrades I might cry.
              I'm sweet with buying updates later as so would most of the new buyers of this mid drive kit.. what's with the big secret? .

Comment

• Eric Luna
                Eric Luna commented
                Editing a comment
                as far as i know there is no upgrades planned on the bbshd at all...

bafang spent 200k on the tooling...trust me they are not going to obsolite it for a number of years.

That test does a lot for credibility of the BBSHD hardware being tough. Temp readings drove the point home. Big rider on 50A version......drop the microphone. Point made.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

It would be helpful to use Strava to record these type of rides.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/LunaCycle
                Last edited by osmaster; 10-21-2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Awesome stuff! the performance and reliability of the bbshd is realy shinning and I find your upgrades realy exciting. interesting times we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post

Nice video not only ride up a mountain with a 300 pound rider but also sho0t video with drone, May i ask you a question, I like drone and often diy quadcopter such as FPV or quadcopter for fun and shoot photos. what's your drone? Dji? rider hill climb with 50 amp controllers and PF batteries i think it's anwsome. pls share more on here.

Comment

is that bike and battery combo currently being offered by Luna cycles? that is something i would be interested in also if the upcoming torque sensing motor also has the same power i would certainly be interested in it.
                      thanks

Comment

Luna has this bike for sale now. It's clearly a bit improved over the version in the video, refined battery mount etc: http://lunacycle.com/luna-ludicrous-...-50-amp-bbshd/

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• Eric Luna
                          Eric Luna commented
                          Editing a comment
                          yeah the test bike did not have the custom built battery pack we are using on the production bike....
                      Working...
                      X