Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna looking to hire a wheelbuilder in Los Angeles

Hi guys

If you happen to be an experienced professional wheelbuilder in the Los Angeles area and are looking to work with Luna, please let us know, as we have a position available.

I am in Santa Rosa, CA and you can ship me components to assemble. I am a Certified Bicycle Technician with all of the tooling to build any hub (including motors) with dropouts up to 200mm into any rim. I have a spoke threading machine for 13 and 14 gauge, tensiometer, dishing tool, all size nipple wrenches and more.

I can also come down there for 7 weeks a year starting in January 2018 at which time I will be a DT Swiss Certified Wheel Builder.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 04-07-2017, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Man that would be awesome but we really need someone in LA, too expensive to ship stuff twice. Plus that would make it so either half the order would be shipped separately from your location or we would have to be then pay for having everything shipped back to us for fulfillment. You're exactly the kind of person we need, it would be great.. if you ever want a change of scenery I know we'd love to have you here.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
        Man that would be awesome but we really need someone in LA, too expensive to ship stuff twice. Plus that would make it so either half the order would be shipped separately from your location or we would have to be then pay for having everything shipped back to us for fulfillment. You're exactly the kind of person we need, it would be great.. if you ever want a change of scenery I know we'd love to have you here.
        I understand about the added cost of shipping. Think about having me come down for a 7 week stint every year if you want. I will bring all of my tools.

Comment

• Eric Luna
          Eric Luna commented
          Editing a comment
          would love to have you here... . it would be a good internship i think for you :)

Probably yes, there is no shortage of work that's for sure, just let me know when you are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
          would love to have you here... . it would be a good internship i think for you :)
          I am still keeping my 7 week blocks of annual vacation open for Luna. My ultimate dream job is building wheels for ebikes and working on ebikes is a close second.

Can you tell us all what sort of wheelbuilding goes on there so that those of us who are interested can master the techniques at home?

At home I use a 32h rim with the very common 3 cross pattern for bicycle hubs and a 36h rim with a one cross pattern for motors. I use steel spokes, brass nipples and Spoke Prep.

I use a tensiometer a lot. I set the working spoke tension to 25 units (on the Park Tool TM-1, see picture). I do lateral, radial, dish and tension repeatedly in that order. I never tighten the spoke over 29 units (on that tensiometer). If a spoke needs tightening and it is already approaching 29 units, I loosen every spoke on the wheel a half turn.

For my own bikes, I get the lateral, radial and dish runout down to 0.2-0.4mm. Finally, I check the spoke tension on every spoke so that they all average about 25 units. A few spokes with units as low as 15 or as high as 29 units is acceptable.

At Luna, I would imagine that productivity is a priority so I wonder how much time you allow your wheelbuilders to build a wheel and what lateral, radial and dish tolerances you establish. Do a lot of your wheels have dishing requirements?

Click image for larger version  Name:	71SfbD0TwiL._SY450_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	33135
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Got one of those myself, it's a great tool. Love the park WTA! Yeah there's various dishing requirements for sure.

This sounds interesting to me too :)

But as an Austrian i would need a greencard, right? Does anyone have the phone number of Arnie? ;) Maybe he can help me working in LA! haha ;)

Comment

Working...
          X