Luna Cycle Releases New Promotional Video and Announces Giveaway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna Cycle Releases New Promotional Video and Announces Giveaway

Luna Cycle has just released our first real video, where the Luna team took off to the hills of Malibu for a day of spring time ebike riding. What better way than video to convince the world that what we offer is a life changing technology.

Check out the video here:

We are announcing our first giveaway… we are giving away a Bafang BBS02 750 watt ebike kit with one of our Mighty Mini Panasonic 18650 lithium battery packs, a $1000 value.
    To enter the contest just like and share the above video (or our facebook video) on your facebook or other social media page. Also you are helping spread the good word by sharing.

Subscribe to our new youtube channel which is brand new but we have been adding videos every week:

What a great idea to use drones with cameras! This is a very professional video--great job.

Comment

So we are getting a lot of negative comments on social media about not wearing helmets. This is really interesting to me.

We did consider wearing helmets on the shoot but in all honesty we meet regularly at Luna to do trail rides like this and we never wear helmets and the only ones we own are full face and i think that would really put out the wrong image.

So what do you think? should we have wore helmets on the shoot?

As you can see the shoot was done in nature with no concrete or cars around.

California law does not require anyone over the age of 18 to wear a helmet.

Should we be projecting an image of safety or freedom? i know both are good. .... helmet or no helmet?

Comment

Here it's more common than not to wear one. In the Netherlands, it's more common not to. I think where the law allows, adults should be allowed to assess the risk themselves and make their own choices, after all, it's their heads.

The negative post I read was a little OTT and one has to wonder if some of your competitors had a hand in that.

Comment

I never ride more than 100ft. without a helmet, and gloves. 90% of the time I wear a SixSixOne padded shirt, padded shorts, and Dainese knee pads. But, I ride fairly extreme trails with steep rutted downhill chutes, rocks the size of footballs, and occasional 2' drops. Followed by sections of unmaintained fireroad we go over 30mph on.

Comment

I love the video, nice lighting, colors , music, I've watched it a few times already.

Comment

It's still a free country as far as I know. Thanks for the beautiful video. Those meddlesome buggers need to get outside and play.

Comment

THanks guys...we are already working on a new video...this one will include helmets :)

Comment

Its fine the way it is, if the folks in the video don't normally wear them then that's that. Be true to yourselves. Honesty and being genuine project more messages than any contrived PC Bull%#$@. ever will.

Comment

Helmet threads have ripped forums apart. Most successful forums now bann the discussion. Neither side of the argument can STFU.i own 3 new unworn motorcycle helmets and 3 unworn bicycle helmets. In the winter riding on ice and snow I wear one. If I remember. Usually I need goggles so I remember since they're attached. Social media is completely over run by ninnies.

Comment

• JPLabs
                      JPLabs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've had almost that many damaged helmets. I must crash things more than you do.

Damaged helmets are the most valuable helmets...

• CraigAustin
                      CraigAustin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha! I am with you 100% JP.

That is a nice video. Fun to watch.

So what do you think? should we have wore helmets on the shoot?
                    I guess that depends. What's your main intent? For showing the 'fun potential' and selling kits, the video works great, as-is. For promoting ebiking in a positive light, it could have been done more delicately, IMHO.

I won't touch on if people should wear helmet or not. Their choice. Don't want to start any arguments. But for a promo video, some thoughts:

I wear a helmet practically all the time, now that my bike is electrified. Both for my safety, and to appear responsible. It looked odd to me not seeing helmets on you guys. I understand what you mean about not wanting to wear full face lids, as making the wrong impression, sure. But bicycle-type helmets might help shape impressions away from 'reckless biking'.

Fast bike + no helmet = easy outrage for anybody looking to argue. Why make it so easy for them? Considering any high-visibility ebike promotion is going to be a lightning rod for scrutiny for the foreseeable future, making the best possible impression upon vocal bicyclists is something to strive for, if promoting the sport and a positive Luna Cycle image are goals. I think using helmets would work well towards that end. Project safety and responsibility.

Tread lightly, as well, if you don't want to fuel anti-ebike arguments. Since erosion and trail cutting are such sensitive issues for MTB riders, tire spinning and riding off trail gets people excited, too - I noticed some negative comment about that. A little subtitle mentioning 'private land used, respect public property' or some such might make sense. I know that sounds uptight, and it is, but it would help avoid the potential for such backlash. Or, just stay on the trails and take any wheelspin shots riding on a beach or similar where it doesn't matter.

Or shoot the videos however you like, and just add one of those disclaimers at the end saying 'we're professionals, do xxx, not what we did...', like everybody else does.

Well done, in any case. It portrays the fun of ebiking, which was the point, right? It worked, it was absorbing and effective. I don't mean to tell you to do it any differently. But you might want to decide if you want to nurture a responsible image, or more of an outlaw image, from a bicyclist's perspective, and film accordingly if their potential negative impressions are any concern.
                    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Like it or not, Luna Cycle is a role model and spokesman for the entire industry. Simply by virtue of their place in the marketplace they have been thrust into this position and as their business expands so will their influence. It will not be long before the major (network) and minor (local news) media discover ebikes and who is the logical source for information about the industry? Why, the biggest retailer of ebike motors and batteries in the world, that's who. It will not be long before some reporter will show up at Lunas door one morning with a camera crew and a notebook full of questions.........

If the Internet is critical of the lack of helmets in Lunas first promotional video, imagine the response from a hasty, unguarded answer to the wrong question or an impulsive response to a "gotcha" type question when broadcast on the evening news. This is probably old news to Luna and they may have a list of talking points and company policies worked out already for the obvious issues that a reporter will be covering. Things like land access, power ratings and limits, speed limits, battery safety, etc.

BTW, the New York Times had a story today about how China is beginning to restrict ebikes in some cities due to bad behavior by the riders. If this becomes the angle that the American media use to tell the ebike story to the general public, we are all in trouble. If so, it won't be the first time that something new has been demonized: anyone remember the anti-skateboarding hysteria or, more recently, the exploding hoverboard freakout?

One last thought, I sure hope that the video was filmed in a place where it was both legal to ride ebikes and legal to ride ebikes with throttles. (Is a non-Class 1 ebike permitted on CA beaches?) It would be unfortunate if someone on mtbr.com recognized the area and it turned out to be restricted. That would not be helpful for our cause. You can be certain that the anti-ebike brigade watch these videos with as much interest as we do and we all know that nothing on the Internet ever really goes away.
                      Last edited by Lance Tesla; 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• JPLabs
                        JPLabs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great comments, Lance.

Is Luna really the world's largest kit retailer, though? USA, I would believe. Globally? That would be really impressive, but would surprise me greatly.

If you wear helmets, nobody will complain. But you won't get all this free publicity either. Lot of folks that didn't know about e-bikes and especially Luna are now poking around the internet...

Comment

JP, there is probably some retail outlet in Beijing or Chengdu that sells more, but from what I saw while working there I can't imagine any outlet in Europe or Australia selling more motors per year. I should have qualified my statement by saying "the Westwrn World" (can we still say that?).

Comment

I thought the vid was awesome. I imagined my self riding a cool ebike at the beach with the wind in my hair. That's called a good sales pitch. Since you are making another vid with helmets, I would say that problem is about to be solved. This is still a free country and I choose to wear a helmet all the time. I really don't care what others do, it's not my business. I will say some of those negative posts generated more interest. It's funny how the world works these days

Comment

Working...
                          X