Battery theft and security; 52v luna direwolf 21ah ebike battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery theft and security; 52v luna direwolf 21ah ebike battery

I would love to use this Direwolf 21AH battery on my bike. Does this battery have a locking mechanism to try and deter theft? This is quite important for short stops in public places where you may not stay long, but must leave your bike locked up out of sight for 10-20 minutes (e.g. while delivering food and groceries to an apartment or office building).

This battery does not appear to have any security. Anyone can just walk up and remove it.

I realize the locking mechanisms on many batteries do not prevent them from being cut off in 60 seconds with tools, but they do still help.

That said, can you recommend a way to securely attach this battery to a bike frame so that it is difficult to remove without keys or proper tools?
    Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 03:23 AM.

When you say permanently attach, how permanent do you mean because you could for example use kydex to essentially build a thermoplastic cover over the entire bike triangle, with not much more than a couple sheets and a $20 heat gun

Comment

• pho
      pho commented
      Editing a comment
      Not quite that permanent! I believe I described what I need in my post. The ability to secure the battery so that nobody can just grab it and run off, without a key or a tools. Because I will still want to be able to remove it easily myself.
      Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 02:39 AM.

• pho
      pho commented
      Editing a comment
      More info: This is the main reason I have not purchased a 20-25AH triangle battery in a triangle bag. They are just held on by straps. Which can be unstrapped in seconds. At most you would need nothing but a screwdriver or hex wrench to unstrap the bag. Whereas most downtube batteries have a locking mechanism and a key. The lock is easily picked or drilled or cut, and the screws holding it to the bike frame can be easily cut, but not without tools. A drill or bolt cutter or hacksaw, which most opportunist thieves do not carry with them.
      Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 02:41 AM.

Bump.

Please. I would really like to engage the community and Luna's experts on the topic of battery security. Anyone and Everyone, may I ask for your considerable mechanical knowledge and ingenuity to further this discussion.

I need ideas that will let me rest a little easier when my bike is out of my sight for short periods of time.

This $3600 build with an $800 battery will turn heads. I have already had several people ask me about it and ask to take pictures of it.

It will never be locked outside overnight, only for short periods of time less than 20 minutes in a busy city where bike theft is common. I am confident the two very expensive locks I always carry will be enough to prevent the theft of the bike itself, but they cannot secure the battery.

Of course, I can always just remove the battery and take it with me when locking my bike, even for short stops of a few minutes. That will probably be what I wind up doing, as it is the best way to prevent theft. But the battery is heavy and huge and does not even come with a handle or carrying case.

Luna, I love you, but you have failed to consider security on your amazing batteries. One good kick from a thief and my expensive battery is gone forever.

Comment

Maybe steel cable ties or zipties through the rail along the bottom would work

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
        Maybe steel cable ties or zipties through the rail along the bottom would work
        Ok that prevents theft of the rail, the battery mount, but does nothing to prevent theft of the battery itself

Comment

Stainless hardened steel pipe clamps around the entire battery and bike frame might work, with the addition of torx security screws so your average screwdriver cant unscrew them. But they would have to be very large (like 9 inches) in diameter, and bent to form around the entire battery. That might work. But I do not know of any pipe clamps (metal zip ties with screws) that are that large Or hard enough to prevent a simple wire cutter from cutting them in less than a minute.
          Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstand how the Direwolf mounting mechanism works. As I understand it, the battery magnetically mounts to the below pictured mount, and has no ability to be securely mounted in the event that someone who isn't me would want to try to remove it. And could easily do so without any tools, and only a little force.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pho; 05-17-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

We have all had bikes stolen, its a common thing. Those of us who have expensive bikes or other objects we want to keep forever take this very seriously. This post should be generating TONS of responses. Or maybe you all can just afford to donate your bikes and batteries to thieves.

Comment

It mounts to a magnetic strip, yes. That is not the rail. The rail is the steel portion of the underside of the battery itself. On previous versions of the Wolf you could run an Ottolock through slots in this rail and run it over the downtube to lock it in place that way. While I do not believe the Direwolf has such slots, you might be able to make one, or drill out a portion of the steel plate to run something like a cable tie through. I understand security can be a concern, but that's not really what this battery is all about. If you need something lockable then I would recommend some kind of enclosure or to figure out some kind of modification to the battery itself such as what I mentioned.

Comment

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. I do not yet have a Direwolf battery in hand and I am not really interested in buying one just to further the conversation after it's stolen. I am relying on people who have already thought about it, or done it, or lost it to a thief. I have thought about exactly what you mention here, and (perhaps prematurely) concluded that it would not work. Perhaps you, or others with experience, have a solution I can implement with a little ingenuity and a power tool or two.

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                  It mounts to a magnetic strip, yes. That is not the rail. The rail is the steel portion of the underside of the battery itself. On previous versions of the Wolf you could run an Ottolock through slots in this rail and run it over the downtube to lock it in place that way. While I do not believe the Direwolf has such slots, you might be able to make one, or drill out a portion of the steel plate to run something like a cable tie through. I understand security can be a concern, but that's not really what this battery is all about. If you need something lockable then I would recommend some kind of enclosure or to figure out some kind of modification to the battery itself such as what I mentioned.
                  Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Although, If you send me a free one, I promise I will make a very in depth and thorough instructional video on this topic you can use to add to Luna's extensive instructional video list! Hmmmm, lets talk. (or possibly accidentally damage the battery myself before someone steals it) :D
                    Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 02:21 AM.

Comment

For a Luna Wolfpack, I milled a t slot in a piece of roughly 3/16 thick x 1 x 2 inch aluminum. Turned this c shape opening up and flooded with epoxy to underside if battery, clear if the magnetic mounts. (Which have slots annoyingly blocked by battery clearance.)
                      This allows use if a flat cable lock around the frame.

Comment

Working...
                      X