Sur Ron 72v battery and controller upgrade options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sur Ron 72v battery and controller upgrade options

Hi, I'm new to the Sur Ron and forum and had a question I wanted to run by people who have more experience with ebikes. I have my Luna pre-order in and it should be coming to me in the next shipment, so I've been shopping for upgrades. The battery + controller is probably the one that I want to make sure I get right and have installed right after getting the Sur Ron.

I know a lot about 18650's and noticed that Lightspeed offers a Sony VTC cell option when buying a 72v battery. The Luna battery kit will likely include either LG, Samsung or Panasonic cells, which are still safe and great performing cells, but VTC's have always been the gold standard. There are a lot of fake VTC's out there as well, but let's assume they're real for argument's sake.

I understand the business decision behind why Luna isn't going with a Sony battery. They can be very difficult to obtain and I doubt Sony would ever sell them directly to a bike shop below retail. However I want to make sure I'm making the right decision for myself. I'm not as concerned with price as I am with long and short term trouble free performance in all seasons. I'd much rather spend my time having fun with my Sur Ron vs. dealing with issues or having to constantly fiddle with this or that.

So, for people with more experience using 18650 based solutions in an ebike, would you recommend waiting for Luna's kit or buying the ASI BAC4000 kit components (BAC4000, Lightspeed 72v, NXT, charger, connectors). I have no experience at all with the ASI kit, so I really don't know what to expect in terms of issues (i.e. - software bugs, fitment, etc).

Thanks

Are you riding street or dirt.If your going to ride off road the bike will break if you try to run 72v and that controller with double the power.You would need stronger brakes ,wheels and suspension as well.Maybe just a better cell 60v battery instead of stock.I would ride it first before making to many purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by Kauaiguy View Post
      Are you riding street or dirt.If your going to ride off road the bike will break if you try to run 72v and that controller with double the power.You would need stronger brakes ,wheels and suspension as well.Maybe just a better cell 60v battery instead of stock.I would ride it first before making to many purchases.
      I was hoping to do some of both, but I'm expecting to do far more riding on pavement. I'm not sure understand what you mean about it breaking though. Can I not control the throttle like a regular dirt bike? I realize there are no gears and not expecting to blast through rough terrain at 70mph. I've seen plenty of videos online of people riding on MTX courses so just trying to understand what you mean.

Brakes, suspension, tires, etc. would all definitely be happening regardless. I'm expecting to scrap pretty much everything stock, except the motor and frame. I was just asking about the power upgrades since the Luna kit is coming out soon and the Lightspeed battery has a big lead time. It seems like anything sold exclusively for the Sur Ron that's in high demand sell out quickly, so I don't want to miss another month of the summer because I didn't plan ahead.
      Last edited by ThunderGatti; 06-02-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

The bike was meant for low power.The spokes are fragile on rode and off ,as is ,its pretty good but a money pit if you mod it a lot.Those after market controllers are not really available,6 month lead time,( I’ve been waiting since January)

Comment

The bike was meant for low power.The spokes are fragile on rode and off ,as is ,its pretty good but a money pit if you mod it a lot.Those after market controllers are not really available,6 month lead time,( I’ve been waiting since January)
          That's funny you say that about it being a money pit...I was thinking the same exact thing. Eventually, literally everything will get tossed except the frame and motor. The wheels and spokes I've heard similar info on but not as bad as what you're describing, so I may bump that up in my order.

I don't know if you can help me understand this better, but after looking at the BAC4000 kit and Lightspeed battery, is it necessary to even work with ERT? I've heard people say that it's worth paying a little more to go directly through ASI for the controller since ERT seems to be in way over their (actually "his") heads. They're a one man show it looks like and a real bottleneck with a lot of unhappy customers. Do I even need a company like ERT to do anything in this process or is just plug and play? Those BAC devices look like they would have canned tunes already configured for the 72v Lightspeed batteries, just trying to confirm. Thanks.

Comment

If only they did, there would be no job for ERT.The Lunacycle kit might actually be obtainable,but not sure a 88v would be that good of an idea?I ordered the Bac 2000, not looking for a big power increase but want better regeneration going down the hills and a touch more rpm/ torque for up hill( maybe 2kw more than stock).

Comment

If only they did, there would be no job for ERT.The Lunacycle kit might actually be obtainable,but not sure a 88v would be that good of an idea?I ordered the Bac 2000, not looking for a big power increase but want better regeneration going down the hills and a touch more rpm/ torque for up hill( maybe 2kw more than stock).
              88v??? I was only looking at 72v and a BAC4000...that'll be plenty for me LOL. It's just crazy...they've probably sold 50k of these Sur Ron bikes in the US alone, but it looks like there's literally 1 option out there for tuning them. I'm either going to wait for Luna to release something or go direct to ASI once I understand their process better. You can use their engineers instead of ERT I think. I can't believe there are no preset tunes out there with so few commercially available power upgrades out there for such a popular, customizable bike. Everyone who isn't stock seems to be running a BAC 2000 or 4000. There's even an 8000 but that's overkill.

As long as you've got enough battery and a capable controller, someone's got to make something that allows you to select predefined performance ranges without needing custom tuning. They've had devices that work like that for cars for decades now that even correct speedometer output when you change wheel sizes. Even my e-cigs, which run on the same exact 18650 cells, have preset modes that give you the same performance regardless of how many individual cells you're using or temperature. You just need to have enough battery behind you and the rest is ohm's law. Advanced users (or tuners in our case) can edit the settings, but it makes improved performance available to the regular guy, who can just run with the presets.

Comment

Working...
              X