HUD drive to mid drive conversion - axle query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUD drive to mid drive conversion - axle query

Hi, I'm new to this Forum. I'm just in the process of converting my rear hub drive emtb to a mid drive and was looking for some thoughts regarding the new rear wheel that I will need.
    My current emtb frame has the common 135mm ID rear frame spacing with 10mm dropouts to suit the 10mm flats of the current hub drive axle. I was considering purchasing a new replacement standard 26" MTB wheel with an 8 speed free hub & cassette system, 6 bolt disc brake setup, with spokes and rim to match the front wheel. The problem is most 26" wheels are available only with a 9mm OD axle with 5mm QR screwer.
    I was thinking of over coming thr axle / dropout size difference problem by purchasing a 9 to 10mm "Through Axle" conversion kit, including replacement 10mm end caps. As I am converting to a mid drive (750w Bafang) all the torque will now be via the chain not from the hub to axle so I feel the round axle will be ok in dropouts. After all when you convert a standard old MTB to a mid drive emtb, the installation instructions just assume you are using your existing rear wheel with a 9mm round axle.
    I would like hear others thoughts on my idea or an easier way to deal with the axle / droput difference.

Sorry I meant Hub Drive to Mid Drive Conversion

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any QR wheels handy to measure, but I thought front wheel QR axles are 9mm and the rear are 10mm. I'm basing this ancient memory on the old Campagnolo Nuovo Record hubs, which I thought set a dimension standard of a sort that was copied for many years.
      Last edited by ncmired; 06-12-2020, 07:48 AM.
      BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 Derailleur 1

Comment

Working...
      X