How do you travel with your ebike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you travel with your ebike?

I bought my ebike for exercise but also for taking on camping trips. I've thought about getting a bike rack for the back bumper on the camper but, I'm wondering how an ebike holds up in the rain.

In my opinion, it is the best way because it makes the most sense. The trains are not overcrowded, there are few drops, and if there are any service delays, they are usually minor. By taking this type of train, you are reducing the stress of planning and meeting transport requirements such as transfers and sometimes even buying food/hot drinks if you have misplacement or neglect of your plans. That's why I always use online train ticket platform. These guys have a modern platform where you can buy tickets very fast. Their trains are always arriving in time.
    Last edited by Corvian; 08-15-2021, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canis View Post
      I bought my ebike for exercise but also for taking on camping trips. I've thought about getting a bike rack for the back bumper on the camper but, I'm wondering how an ebike holds up in the rain.
      I think having an electric bike in the rain on the back of a vehicle is really asking for trouble. If I were to do that I'd so everything I could to make the bike more water resistant (RTV, dielectric grease, etc. etc.) and get a really good secure and waterproof cover for it. I would *never* travel with the battery on it in the rain.

I have a rear rack that I use to carry mine for shorter journeys but when I'm going further, rain or shine, I take the wheels and pedals off (not even five minute task) and toss it in the vehicle where it is not only protected from the elements but also theft and it seems like it's not bouncing around as much on the rough dirt roads. I helped a guy build a really nice BBSHD bike that got stolen from the back of his RV and that made me feel hurt too! It was up really high and in a private lot so they went to some effort...

Comment

Plastic packing/wrapping
        Ex from another forum:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WrapItUp.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	133662

Comment

When you say "camper" I'm guessing it's not very big where you can't put it inside during transport miles? Are you pulling this camper with a vehicle large enough to do what AZ is suggesting either with wheels on or off depending on room? I have a 26' toy hauler now, but I used to stick my bike inside my more conventional 25' travel trailer. Lot safer and secure. For the 900 mile trip to Moab every year with a van and two bikes, I used a heavy duty 2-tray rear receiver bike carrier, but I hated having to run through hard rains even with pedal-only bikes. The grime was nasty, and it wasn't that great on some of the components over time. I'd think an ebike would be even worse.

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got a couple of vehicles but my big beast will fit in the trunk of my honda accord!

Much better gas mileage like this too...

how about hunt? or just travel?
          electric bike, ebike, aostirmotor bike

Comment

• Mike_V
            Mike_V commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck concealed weapon in there?, that stash looks valuable & may drive away, vanish somehow from somewhere.
            Woods, city, car jacking?
            Last edited by Mike_V; 08-12-2021, 08:01 AM.

To protect my bike from the rain while riding, I just use covers covering the part where the electric motor is located. If I need to park it somewhere in the rain for a while, I cover it with a protective film and tie it tightly in several places so that the wind does not carry it away. But often I just don't go on rainy days and try to choose another transport. For example, when I went on vacation last summer to https://planneratheart.com/the-road-to-hana-stops/, I decided not to take a bike with me since the region was quite rainy and humid. I didn't want to lose my iron horse, so I sacrificed convenience.
          Last edited by casqwer; 02-20-2022, 03:25 PM.

Comment

My e-bike has made my life easier and harder at the same time. On the one hand, this is just a godsend for those who love outdoor activities. It helps me a lot to overcome long distances between cities and towns. But traveling long distances is a cruel ordeal, really. I have had several trips where I took an e-bike with me on a train. Its transportation is half the trouble. I need to find good accommodation nearby so I can place the bike and find a place to charge it. And not all hotels have convenient parking spaces or at least warehouses.
            Last edited by lederasd; 05-04-2022, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I am using it for going to work. It is very comfortable and faster than the bus because I don't need to stand in traffic jams. I also have a car, but I need more time to arrive at work by car rather than a bike because I need to go to a neighboring city. Every morning I get the bike and go to a train station. I have a train pass from https://www.db auskunft.com/de/, so I have to pay for it only once a month, and then from the train station, I go to my job. It is cheaper and faster than going t my job in a car every morning.
              Last edited by AirForce; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
              X