Help with Yuba Mundo conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Yuba Mundo conversion

Hi all- I'm getting ready to do a conversion on a V4 Yuba Mundo. I'm looking at the Bafang setup, but I'm otherwise a newbie. Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources? I know others have done the Bafang on the Mundo, but I need some guidance on what all I need to order, what considerations I might need to think about, etc. I'm a good bike mechanic, so I'm not concerned about that part- I just need a little guidance about ordering the kit (and any recommendations where to order from), and any considerations for install. Thanks!

I have a V4 Yuba Munda with BBSHD. I decided to go with the 30 tooth chain ring, which may be a bit too low for the gearing. The install was standard with the exception of an extended rear wheel speed sensor. You will need to purchase a short extension cable due to the long tail of the bike. I used a couple of bb spacers as well to make sure it was all aligned. The chain length is perfect with the 30T chain ring, so if you go larger, you may need to confirm or add a few links.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions or need some photos. It is a great bike and the most enjoyable to ride.

Good luck!

Comment

• mouldfield
      mouldfield commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey TrailR, you said the "30 tooth chain ring ... may be a bit too low for the gearing". Are you having problems as a result or just not getting the top speeds you want or what?

• BMundo
      BMundo commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you tell me how long the speed sensor extension needs to be?

I would LOVE some photos! That's great info on the extension for the rear wheel speed sensor, spacers and chain (my Mundo has a front derailleur and two chainrings, so I think I should be okay with chain length). Where did you order from? Which battery did you get and where did you mount it (I'm wondering if it would be possible to mount the battery behind the seat-tube and in front of the rear wheel on the chain stay bridge). Did you also use the brake lever cutoff sensors and the shift sensor? Thanks a ton!

Comment

I went with the 52V Shark with 13.5ah Panasonic GA batteries. The shark size will fit, but you will need to drill a hole in the aluminum heat sink to slide it up a bit on the tube. This is actually very easy to do and gives a nice firm mount to the battery. I have ordered all of my batteries and motors from Luna with great results. I prefer to use a left thumb throttle, so you may want to think about how you will use the bike. I have the programming cable and had to use it to slow everything down for the 30T chain ring. I also have the color display and prefer it over my other c965 diplay.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TrailR View Post
        I went with the 52V Shark with 13.5ah Panasonic GA batteries. The shark size will fit, but you will need to drill a hole in the aluminum heat sink to slide it up a bit on the tube. This is actually very easy to do and gives a nice firm mount to the battery. I have ordered all of my batteries and motors from Luna with great results. I prefer to use a left thumb throttle, so you may want to think about how you will use the bike. I have the programming cable and had to use it to slow everything down for the 30T chain ring. I also have the color display and prefer it over my other c965 diplay.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Can this carry 2 adults? What is the max carrying weight?

Comment

Originally posted by jakethe5nake View Post

Can this carry 2 adults? What is the max carrying weight?

The capacity is listed as 440 lbs, so it is possible to carry an adult on the rear. The rear is a 48 spoke double wall wheel with a 14mm axle, so there is capacity for the load.

Comment

Gents!
            Found what I'm looking for....I'm reviewing the previous comments, but I'm going to need some additional input and guidance. 16 months ago, I purchased 2 Yuba EL Mundo's. I got 4 kids, wife and I haul them around. Where we live is pretty hilly... Let me just say that having a Bionx 350 on a Mundo is almost pointless. My bad in that purchase, chaulk it up to first experience with an electric bike. Now I'm looking to upgrade... Started looking at the HPC Crystalyte systems, however ~3000W is way overkill for wife and kids urban hauler. Just found out about the BBSHD and starting my research... Can someone give me some real world perspective on BBSHD on a Yuba? Will it be night and day difference from the Bionx 350 system? Looking for hill climbing... Not looking for speed records.

Comment

Our house is on top of a hill and we use the BBSHD to climb 150 ft in elevation change over a 0.7 miles. The fully loaded Yuba climbs it with ease with an adult (220 lbs), 2 kids (age 10 & 7), and a 2 year old in a trailer. This is the school bus mode, and the Yuba performs quite well and can easily hold a constant speed using the 30T chain ring. The kids love riding on the back as Dad is a little more throttle happy than Mom.

I also have a fat bike with a BBSHD and a 42T chain ring and I can hold speed very easily going up the same hill.

I hope that helps give you some real world information that you can apply to your terrain.

Comment

TrailR- thanks a ton- that was super helpful. I think I'm going to do the setup same as you, but with the 42t ring for now. Seems the 30 might be too light for what I need, but I'll have to find out. We are in a pretty hilly town (Golden, Co), and I might need to go smaller, but not sure I'll know for sure until I get it set up and feel it. I am planning on ordering from EmPowered cycles instead of Luna- I've heard Luna has only a 90 day warranty and EmPowered will do 2 years. Sounds like I'll need an extension cable for the cargo bike, and I may need to hit you up for info on drilling that hole, but I can probably figure it out. Thanks again! I'll post up when mine is all together.

Comment

For posterity: I ordered the 1000w Bafang BBSHD with 52v battery from EmPowered (they have a 2 year warranty as opposed to Luna's 90 days). The kit came with everything I needed except the extension cord for the rear speed sensor, but Matt at Empowered made me an extension cable and threw it in for free. The install was reasonably straight-forward, but I do have a lot of bike mechanic experience, tools and skills- still, a pretty straight-forward install. I have big cruiser bars on my Mundo, and the power/ assist level/ remote doesn't quite reach the left side. I don't love the brake handles, but they work well with my BB7's (I'd prefer something I could move inboard more and grab with just my index or middle fingers). Up and running, this thing is amazing. I was going uphill with my feet off the pedals and hit about 23mph with the throttle. The assist is something else- I went grocery shopping and had the bike pretty well loaded and still pedaled easily uphill to my house. This thing is a game-changer for us. It makes the dream of being "car free" in town a reality. I'll post pictures shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by alshead View Post
                    I don't love the brake handles, but they work well with my BB7's (I'd prefer something I could move inboard more and grab with just my index or middle fingers).
                    ​I just ordered a pair of these.
                    http://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-pa...-e-brake-pair/
                    I am not to fond of the brake levers from the kit. As soon as I get them I will start a thread on them because they maybe an important build consideration for what controls may work best for you.

Comment

Yeah- saw those. Let me know how they work. I'd be concerned about durability over time. It would be great to use my avid speed dial levers, though!

Comment

I should have them tomorrow or the next day.

Comment

Not sure why these are posting upside down.

Comment

• limhrod
                            limhrod commented
                            Editing a comment
                            great looking battery placement. so cool to have that battery out of the triangle for stealthiness and plenty of room to do so on cargo bikes.

Here's a good place to start BBSHD install research: https://www.electricbike.com/removin...ket-cartridge/

At the bottom are links to part 2 and part 3
                          Last edited by spinningmagnets; 08-02-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X