Dumb one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb one.

Thinking of building a bike with the BBSHD. Do I need a steel frame bike to start with? Is aluminum a no-no?

Aluminum is fine - here's an old picture of my build... one of these days I'll get a more recent picture (click on it for full size):

Click image for larger version

Name:	boris.rip.crp_0159.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	972.0 KB
ID:	129919

Comment

Thanks AZguy!

Comment

Lots of people have done steel and aluminum. Carbon is where there are some special concerns.

I think it really depends on what you plan to do with the bike and your size. I currently have 2 bikes I ride regularly one is steel and one is aluminum. Both bikes are pushing 75 pounds ready to ride and I'm in the 250 range so that is a lot of weight to be rolling around. The steel bike is a Surly and is the one I pound on the trails. I like the feel of steel and knowing that its likely just going to bend rather than snap if I do push it to far. My aluminum one is a $400 walmart Schwinn and I don't think I would trust that to bang around the kit plus my weight on the trails but I think it will be Ok for riding ont he streets which is what I do with that one. Now maybe a Salsa aluminum frame would be a different story but its still a lot of weight. If you only weigh 125 thats a whole different story.

Older bikes/designs that had 2x or 3x drives generally don't have the clearance issues that newer 1x and fat tire stuff often does. Older bikes often don't have disc brakes which are not very practical to convert to and darn near a requirement if you are thinking of going faster than normal bike speeds. Full suspension bikes are often tricky because you don't usually have room in the triangle for a battery and sometimes the pivots cause clearance issues.

Comment

so I'm not so great at researching but trying to find a fat tire that fits a 100mm BBSHD without modifications. only thing that's jumping out at me is the framed Montana (shoot maybe it was the minnesota). and maybe walmart bikes? how bout those motobacane bikes.
          i'm thinking you need at least "2" behind the rear of BB in the plane of the face of the BB opening" (if ya can understand my jibberish) just to fit the motor. is additional space needed for chain ring? figure this would fit under the name of this post

Comment

100mm fits a lot of the older Surly's. Are any of those in your price range? I see them for sale in my area all the time but a good deal is still gonna be in the $1000 range. If you are talking 4"+ as Fat for a Surly that would be the Pugsly which they made for a very long time so there are a lot of them out there, I have a 2014 with a 100mm BBSHD on it and I can use all 10 gears with a Lekkie 42 chain ring. If 3" is good enough Krampus has been around for a while.

Framed Montana I can't find really good pics of but what I can see I have concerns about clearance. Anytime you see a tiny chain ring with the chain stay close and sticking well past the ring things could be really tight plus the rear suspension mechanism could also get in the way. Minnesota maybe better? Only reason I say that is because I see a gap between the tire and seat post which means the chain stay may not kick out as far as soon which is where the clearance issue usually is.

Comment

Pugsley was one of first I tried and found they are no longer being made. several others need modifications...Mayor 5, ice cream truck, mukluk, farley. saw a couple of each Minnesota and Montana in the builder gallery with no mention of issues.
              like I said, not very good at finding things online. don't know where to look. I found huge sites like pro's closet or bike depot but most won't give dimensions that I am looking for on a particular bike. most not even a clear picture of the drive area.
              so now I am unsure of fat vs 29×3 . I know this is just a kids toy and cannot compare to a real fat bike. (got it dirt cheap) we got about 4" of snow and it did terrible. my fuel 95 with bbs02 did better. 20x4Click image for larger version

Name:	20211126_075114_HDR.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	146338

Comment

• 73Eldo
                73Eldo commented
                Editing a comment
                I think technically they made some 2020 Pugs but 2019 would be the last year you likely actually find in the wild. I'm not even sure how many they sold that late. I would guess a lot of their fat customers went with the Moonlander and then Ice Cream Truck when those became available. Both those bikes could go bigger than 4" but it does appear that the BBS's are not an ideal fit on those.

i think the triangle in the krampus is too small for a triangle battery. i think thats why i passed it up

Comment

• 73Eldo
                73Eldo commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm guessing you are looking for/needing a small size frame? If so ya a lot of the more modern geometries don't leave a lot of room for a battery. For some reason the downtube goes straight for a while before it goes down so that sucks up a lot of the triangle space. With suspension I suppose its for clearance? But using the Surly's as an example I don't think any of their bikes come with suspension forks, fully rigid is sort of their thing so why do they do that? They have their sister brand Salsa if you want suspension.

Not a dumb question. Relax, have fun and learn.
              "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

I currently have a Surly Wednesday, small frame, which I have a 120mm BBSHD and a triangle battery that just barely fits... I ran 27.5x4.5s and 29x3s on it no problem... My next Covid project is going to be a medium Surly ICT or RSD Mayor frame and move everything over to it... The 177mm rear hub on the Surly was a pain for finding wheels, so I 'm moving on to 197mm rears for more options...

I looked at Motobecanes also as an option, but like every other bike it seems in the world, they're sitting on a ship...

The point is, there are many answers which requires a lot of research on what/how you want to build, and this forum is one of the best for information...

ETA: My ship finally came in from Taiwan/Canada and I'm just about done building up a RSD Mayor V5... Pics to follow..

Attached Files
                Last edited by Schrambo; 04-17-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since going to 197mm I haven't looked back

don't think I am ready for full fat yet. I ended up with a Salsa Rangefinder and it is a poor candidate for BBSHD. I love it though since I have been riding on "pre turn of the century" stuff. WOW I can almost ride it without assist! motor can only hang straight down and wires too close to back tire. Looking at CYC X-1 Stealth but I think
                - too noisy
                - separate controller from motor and unsightly harness
                - expensive
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20220115_154529.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	146698

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ouch! It might be nice to be able to get cheap plastic mock-up/models (3D print?) of the BBSxx's... hmmmm...

yes, after i put a BBS02 on my old trek ( it was pretty much a perfect fit) I was quite psyched for more power so I purchased the BBSHD 100mm thinking it would not be so hard to find a bike that would fit it. WRONG! now after about two years in, I am not in such need of power and speed. just enough assist to make it enjoyable!

Comment

How close or far from fitting in the triangle is it?

Comment

not even close for the BBSHD to fit into the triangle.
                    the CYC X-1 Stealth was suggested. printed out the scale images to make a mock-up and stopped there because it specced a 34.5mm BB. mine is 33.5mm. am i missing something, i thought 33.5 was standard for BSA type threaded BB?

Comment

Working...
                    X