Luna 52v 11amp Bottle Battery - Not Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna 52v 11amp Bottle Battery - Not Charging

my bottle battery from luna doesn't recharge, i followed the shark pack battery jumpstart article from luna but still the battery doesn't accept juice from the luna 300w charger. Sadly i have to remove the whole kit off the bike so i can still use mtb to work.

Step 1: meter read everthing
    i got my self multi meter and 2 hours of video tutorial on how to use it :) .

multimeter the charger
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkfKtrEULtPWsC243IRF2xmS3UdE

multimeter the battery
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkfKtrEULtPWsDOsz1pMQUIgNioO

Step 2: I-don't-know-what-to-do-next-step
    i decided to open stuff out of curiosity & frustration
    Click image for larger version

Name:	battery top wiring 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	13559

Name:	battery top wiring 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	13560

Step 3: Jumpstarting the battery
    as advised by garry of luna, i followed the article from luna cycle on how to jumpstart shark battery pack while he's going to send me xt60 barrel adapter to replace the one connected to m charger, so i bought myself black & red cable to continue troubleshooting, It was good so far i manage to get a good response from the charger.

Jumpstart Attempt
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkfKtrEULtPWsC5XrM27RkEWs0SQ

Step 4: Can't wait for another week so i'm going to Jumpstart the battery again :)
    I connected again the black & red cable to the charger, and so far so good i didn't get any spark, short or whatsoever i get a positive response from the charger (fan goes on full power + 2 red lights on the charger - usually appears when it starts charging)

Name:	20160804_210337.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	13558

according to the forum discussions i found online some suggested to leave it connected for 30secs and some says couple of minutes. - i tried both and extremes i left it there as if i'm actually charging the battery.

after 2 hours i got 58v figure on luna charger LCD, red & green led and the fan stops "which means the battery is fully charged" - i was happy that time :) right then i hookup the bbshd kit again took me 5hrs, then i powered the lcd and to my surprise i got 30v readout on my DPC14, i never saw or even reach 30v on that LCD usually @35v the bike is useless already so i assume that what i did was not to recharge the battery but discharge it :(

For now i had no choice but to wait for this xt60 barrel adapter to arrive and cross my fingers hope this that will fix the problem.

Last edited by pcliteuser; 08-05-2016, 02:01 AM.

Wow, you did great research and troubleshooting. Nice job.

I don't have an answer for you, though, I'm also hoping the connector does the trick.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

i just got the cable and yes! its just a simple barrel xt60 adapter, my battery is now re charging :) - but with weird behavior (problem is @6:13 - if you want to skip)
      Last edited by pcliteuser; 08-06-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I've seen some problems with the XT60 to barrel connector when charging at more than 2A. Those barrels IME should be used only at 2A for best results.

Comment

can you guys confirm if the video below is a battery problem?

Comment

It looks like the battery was fully charged before you started to re install the kit on the bike. Then by the time you completed the installation it seems that the battery has discharged itself. Did you then remove the battery and test it with your multimeter to confirm that it was discharged? This would certainly indicate that the battery or BMS is the problem. However, if the battery reads charged off the bike and then reads discharged on the bike using the display, then something on the bike is dropping the voltage(i.e. the motor controller or a short in the motor itself). I suggest you take the battery off the bike and charge it fully and confirm that with your multimeter. Then let the battery sit disconnected from everything for several hours and then check again with your meter to see if the battery has discharged. If so then you know the battery is bad.

Comment

• pcliteuser
              pcliteuser commented
              Editing a comment
              on the lcd it shows 51v steady, multimeter says 54.6v. when i throttle everything just shuts down then the disco lights on the battery led happens. I'm not sure if the LED lights is giving accurate reading :(

• OptimusPrime
              OptimusPrime commented
              Editing a comment
              If I'm hearing you correctly, as soon as you put a load on the battery it craps out. Sounds like the battery/BMS is bad.

Or there's a short on the bike? Would also shut down pack.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

On the 2nd picture of the inside of the battery above, there is a black wire that appears to be damaged. It may be just be an illusion, but it seems like the insulating plastic is cut through and some wire is showing? If that is bare wire showing it could be causing a short.

Comment

• pcliteuser
                pcliteuser commented
                Editing a comment
                i already wrapped it with an electrical tape.

something weird happened. i charged the battery to full and everything is back to normal, looks like my battery is actually empty but the battery indicator shows 3 green led. Now its been 2 days no charging i'm riding from house to office full throttle only but the battery still has 3 green led.

Comment

• tomjasz
                tomjasz commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't rely on the LED. Use your multimeter to get actual voltage readings. Those LED's are a convenience item and not always very accurate.

i noticed that when the battery hits 50% or below (below 51v - on multimeter) the motor jerks and then shuts down, but if the battery is in full power @56v i don't experience problems at all

Comment

why is that when i charge my battery at full it only stops at 56v even if the luna smart charger switch is in 100? i did a little research and i found a chart that shows the actual voltage readout for 52v battery pack and it appears that i am suppose to get 58v when @100% and around 55.4 @80%, but on my case i'm getting 56.3v @100% and 51.6v @80% (if you base it on the chart it is only around 87% and 70%).

Comment

Working...
                X