Nylon gear cover comes off without bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nylon gear cover comes off without bearing

I have a BBS02 that i'm doing some maintenance on. My nylon gear cover only has two screws with which to pull the cover (all the videos I've seen show three) and my cover came off leaving the bearing attached to the axle. I won't be able to get my damaged nylon gear out with the bearing stuck on the axle. I ordered a small gear puller that does not fit. Any ideas on how to remove this bearing?

Hi, welcome to the forum, and sorry for the troubles. It appears that this issue has been noted before, here. What does the gear cover look like on your motor - like this (right one, version "B")?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbs02_circular_plate-1__85054.1465771428.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	151519

My thoughts on pulling the bearing is that it shouldn't be on the axle / shaft that snugly, and using a very small pry bar against the top of the nylon gear, may be enough. You could put a flat washer or some such between the pry bar and the nylon gear, for protection. Otherwise, for your puller, is it simply too big or bulky ot fit the pulling arms under the bearing?

Luna does have the covers (with installed bearing) in stock, in case you have to get medieval with it. They also have the version "B" nylon gear.
    Last edited by ncmired; 05-18-2022, 02:59 PM.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Thanks for responding. I'm letting it soak in penetrating oil. If I had found out about Luna before I would have ordered replacement parts here. As it stands I have parts coming from different places--all version B. Having two screwholes with which to pull this thing out is a bad idea--as bad a two-legged stool. I am not seeing a gear puller so far that will address this issue--I've ordered a windshield wiper puller--that seems to hold the most promise now. I have done so much damage to the bearing and maybe even the nylon gear which does not appear to be damaged and there is no apparent heat damage. I am waiting for the tool to pull apart the axle to see what's going on in there--perhaps the clutch is causing the racket or maybe just regreasing the thing and putting it back together will work.

Comment

Yep, having just the two puller holes isn't good. I've pulled three BBSHD covers so far (PEEK gear installs), and on one of them one of the three puller holes wasn't threaded. I ended up using one of the flat head screws to level the cover from the unbalanced force applied by the puller screws, and eventually got the cover off. In all cases, fortunately the bearing stayed in the cover.

On the last update, I had to drill out one of the flat head screws.
        Last edited by ncmired; 05-19-2022, 07:50 AM.
        BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Working...
        X