BBS02 and battery connectors not compatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 and battery connectors not compatible

BBS02 and battery connectors at the end of both cables are very different. Has anybody had this issue? Any solutions to this?Click image for larger version

Name:	DE10DFF8-04BD-49BD-AFA7-F67408000E35.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	151665
    Attached Files

It looks like maybe they are meant to be compatible but even if they do fit together the genders are wrong so you can't get red to red and black to black. The end with the blue ends looks like the fairly typical crimp on ends that are easily found in the USA. The other end with the very silver ones at least at a glance in the photo look like extra cheap crap. I could be wrong about those but that's my impression from just a photo. The wires with the silver ends also look extra small.

Did you look further down the BBS harness? Its possible that there is an adapter in there. Different vendors sometimes install different connectors as do different installers so there is really no actual standard connector.

The blue ones may be available at a good hardware store or maybe a home depot sort of place. Also a really good chance an auto parts store would have them. You would also need a crimping tool to crimp new ones onto the wires. A one time use quality tool isn't very expensive. IF you were going to do more than 2 connectors I would recommend a higher quality ratcheting type tool. If you have any radio control shops in your area they would also likely stock those or even better connectors like XT60 and XT90's. Some RC shops even do minor work like installing the connectors so that may be wroth a try.

Comment

• DriB
      DriB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Very useful info.

The silver connectors are on the motor side and are the ones that normally come on Bafang BBS01/BBS02 motors - not terrible connectors actually, and have weather sealing boots.

It's the blue ones that are out of whack. Is this a new or used kit, and where did it come from?

The best connectors to use are the defacto standard XT90 type that 73Eldo highlighted, but they require heat shrink tubing, a soldering iron and the related skills to install - as he said, perhaps a nearby RC shop could help. Alternatively, but not as elegant are XT90 pigtails, available from Luna Cycles who are located in the Los Angeles area.

Otherwise, most any 2-contact connector rated preferably for at least 40 amps can be used.

If the battery has a tray under it, disconnect it from the battery before altering/updating the connectors - these batteries are potentially quite dangerous fire hazards.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

• DriB
      DriB commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a new kit, bought from Euronau-ebike. The motor came from China and the battery was shipped from Illinois. They are telling me that it should work but the wiring is clearly wrong.
      I’d like to install smth decent like XT90s but I’m dreading soldering and stuff. There are no radio control shops in my area.

• DriB
      DriB commented
      Editing a comment
      I just ordered them from Luna and got a soldering iron online. Thank you.

Interesting that the silver ones are the stock ones. They did have a factory look from them, just can't tell quality from that photo. Yes I agree and didn't make it clear that the blue ones are the DIY sort of thing that at least is readily available in the USA. They can work fine if properly sized and installed with a proper tool but they can also be kinda poorly installed.

I keep mentioning USA because this site has international users and it may not be as useful to them if they can't easily source the same stuff.

Comment

They look like standard SAE connectors available at many auto part stores... Probably OK for 20-30A, sure wouldn't trust for much more, and personally, I would use something else for more than 20A

Comment

They are often called 'bullet' connectors too so if someone is searching try that term.

Ya I agree, even properly crimped I don't know that I would want to pull 20 amps through them especially when things like the XT60/90 connectors are well proven for this application and have advantages like being a single connector and options like the anti spark. At least they are not as bad as an audio connector or a mains power connector like some vendors use.

Comment

Working...
        X