X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Understanding "Hot Rod Program (For Off Road Use Only)" BBSHD

I moved this to Questions.

I'm new to e-bikes.
    I brought this BBSHD kit a little time ago.
    And while its been fun putting the kit together, and riding,
    it appears its not been running at full potential.

Update::
    basically resolved this. Other than just looking for a copy of the hot rod programming. I purchased with the bbshd. Is it possible to get the profile to apply myself?
    It got erased i guess after using a off brand display from aliexpress.
    Last edited by SpaceyJohn; 11-17-2023, 07:46 AM.

If you have a mountain bike, a small chain ring would limit speed. Also , are you sure the speedometer is accurate.

Comment

Ya I have similar questions, what size tires? Did you set the wheel diameter? The max speed also set in most of the displays, which model display do you have? Its often in the advanced menu.

Comment

waste of time
        Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 03:34 PM.

Comment

this is basically resolved now i guess.
          Last edited by SpaceyJohn; 11-17-2023, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Need waaaaaay more information

Share everything even if you don't realize it may be important

Gearing, controller parameters, the display settings (the speed displayed can be way off and at best are just close)

40mph is overly-optimistic IMO... OTOH with proper gearing and controller settings no reason mid-30's can't be achieved albeit scary speed IMO - mine will go that fast but I find it very uncomfortable and it's going to drain the battery quickly and risks overheating things if maintained for any length of time

Recognize that the amount of power required roughly quadruples for 2x the speed

Mid-20's are more realistic top speeds for sustained riding... 30 doable but you won't get long from the battery, maybe forty-five minutes or even less

Comment

• SpaceyJohn
              SpaceyJohn commented
              Editing a comment
              I figured it out. just more about all those things you said. And my perspective or perceptions.
              I guess the only question I have now, is the hot rod firmware programming or profile, available for download?
              When I ordered the bbshd, i selected the hot rod programming. But a random display i brought online messed it up.
              Is there a way to get a profile for it again and apply it from the befang programming software?

if you're talking about running it on a bike stand with no load you're probably hitting the current limiter. My 48V. 1500W BBSHD with stock tuning 30A does 36mph on a 26" comfort bike (full of DH MTB parts for safety). But we need more info. Especially gearing and tire size. But cruising at 26-28mph is more realistic. At that kind of speed you need to be thinking about tires, wheels,brakes, and suspension also. Maybe with skinny tires and tucked in 1800W will do 40mph. Grin Technology has an E bike simulator that's pretty accurate. The BBSHD is hidden in the menues since they sell hub motors, but it is in there.
            Our ebike motor simulator allows you to easily simulate the different performance characteristics of different ebike setups - with a wide selection of hub motors modeled, and the ability to add custom batteries and controllers and set a wide variety of vehicle parameters you'll be able to see how factors such as throttle level, bike weight, hill grade and many more directly affect the performance of an ebike. You can even compare two different setups at a glance and at higher power levels and hill grades you'll even get an estimation of how long it would take the motor to overheat!

You can try different gearing at Sheldon Browns gear calculator. This is mostly useful to get a rider useable cadence in top gear.

Solving for speed @ 90rpm is a common setting for that. That's a brisk but sustainable cadence for most riders.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceyJohn View Post
              I moved this to Questions.

I'm new to e-bikes.
              I brought this BBSHD kit a little time ago.
              And while its been fun putting the kit together, and riding,
              it appears its not been running at full potential.

Update::
              basically resolved this. Other than just looking for a copy of the hot rod programming. I purchased with the bbshd. Is it possible to get the profile to apply myself?
              It got erased i guess after using a off brand display from aliexpress.
              Visit the knowledge base article, here: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives, and I believe the config file "BBSHD 48v or 52v Limitless.el" is the one you're looking for (included with the "LunaBafangConfigTool‚Äč" config tool).
              Last edited by ncmired; 11-17-2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X