Newbie Shopping for First E-Bike / Questions on Motor Wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Shopping for First E-Bike / Questions on Motor Wattage

Hey all. I'm a relative newbie shopping for my first e-bike. My research thus far has led me here, and to Luna Cycle for the place I'll likely buy my bike. I don't have the time or knowledge to go the fully DIY route. Maybe one day.

I'm heavily leaning toward purchasing the Luna GRIT 220 full bike offering from Luna Cycle: http://lunacycle.com/luna-grit-220-road-ebike/

Couple of questions? (I went through all post titles in this forum and didn't find the clarification I was looking for)

1. Not clear on what do do on the motor offering: "750w legal in all 50 states" or "BBSHD 1500w "
    • Are both these options the same BBSHD motor, just programmed differently? Or is it likely that the "750w" is a BBS02?
    • CA law - Does choosing the "BBSHD 1500w" option disqualify me from Type 3 status? Meaning it would be illegal on CA bike paths? OR, is it all about speed - If I keep it at 20MPH I am in the clear? I'm just unclear on the law and whether the higher "potential power" puts me in violation.
    • Bottom line is... I think I definitely want the BBSHD, and would love to have the "potential power" of the 1500w setup for off road, but I need this to be a primarily street-legal/bike path legal commute bike. If it's just a matter of monitoring my speed, I can handle that.
    Thoughts are much appreciated.

Dennis
    Last edited by dennybot; 10-22-2016, 11:32 AM.

I built all of my ebikes considering only the power that I wanted, with no regard for the law. I never use more than 2500W for my very heavy 280 lb rider + 90 lb ebike.

I commute every day in a CA city and the police have never even looked twice at my bike because I drive safely. You won't attract any attention unless you drive like a jerk.

Choose the higher power option, pedal at all times, drive like a gentleman and I guarantee that the only attention you get from LE is a smile.

If you start riding through stop signs or driving unsafely, then you put yourself on the radar.

Comment

• aWintersTale
      aWintersTale commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, this is probably the most level-headed, down-to-earth, practical advice, I have ever read regarding the riding habits and how it relates to public perception, in general. Dude, I am way impressed.

You make good points, and agreed... riding an ebike or just a bike responsibly is the key to most things. But, another issue comes to mind... Being a cyclist over the past 15 years in the city of San Francisco, I can tell you that it is a really dangerous place to be on two wheels. People get creamed regularly. So what happens if I happen to be on the wrong side of a bad driver and all of the sudden I'm deemed the rider of an illegal bike? That's a bit of a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by dennybot View Post
      You make good points, and agreed... riding an ebike or just a bike responsibly is the key to most things. But, another issue comes to mind... Being a cyclist over the past 15 years in the city of San Francisco, I can tell you that it is a really dangerous place to be on two wheels. People get creamed regularly. So what happens if I happen to be on the wrong side of a bad driver and all of the sudden I'm deemed the rider of an illegal bike? That's a bit of a concern.
      You can use the "low" position of the 3 speed switch for the road, and use "medium" and "high" if you are offroad or if there is nobody around or you want to risk it.

If you get pulled over or get in an accident, you can move the switch into the "low" position.

Comment

• islander20
        islander20 commented
        Editing a comment
        3 position switch? Is this available on the Luna site? Would love to have a way to quickly switch my bike between illegal or legal.

The BBSHD is a much bigger motor, and will probably last longer

Comment

Hi guys,

Lately I saw a E- bike on eBay platform.

And It's seems like so good on the pic.

And I want to purchase it.

Plz check the link and give some advise to me.

Thanks.

LINK http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heyman-Mount...-/401217893398

Comment

Nice price. Typical components. Probably a cheap frame, Check out the rating of the seller. Looks he mostly sells motorcycle fairings and motorcycle prints, and this is his first venture into ebikes. Expect no support if it breaks.

Wow, We're starting to see china prices on ebay. This guy sells golf clubs. Expect no help.
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclamatic-F...3D351638917829

Comment

I think that you would be time & money ahead by purchasing the Luna road bike in your OP.

Luna is not greedy at all in their pricing, and the rig in the eBay link has lower quality than the Luna road bike IMO.

Comment

The bike in the eBay link only has 500W. In my experience, you will want more power than that.

Comment

Here is a good article from last March. http://electricbike-blog.com/2016/03...ot-get-punked/

Comment

islander20 said "3 position switch? Is this available on the Luna site? Would love to have a way to quickly switch my bike between illegal or legal"

I use the multifunction switch in the attached picture. It is the $20 multifunction switch near the bottom of this link: http://lyen.com/

The red is on/off.

The three positions are 33, 66 and 99% of the maximum motor current setting (which happens to be 82A) in my 24 FET Lyen Mark 2 controller.

The green button is regenerative braking.

This switch works like a charm!

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.5 KB ID:	27792

Comment

Thats exactly what ive been looking for, thanks!

Comment

Ordered the switch, how should this be hooked in? I dont have a cycle analyst or lyen controller. I have a BBSHD, just wire this into the power supply for the motor? Would be nice to have the green button do my lights.

Comment

Originally posted by islander20 View Post
                        Ordered the switch, how should this be hooked in? I dont have a cycle analyst or lyen controller. I have a BBSHD, just wire this into the power supply for the motor? Would be nice to have the green button do my lights.
                        I had my electronics tech wire it up for me, but I was there when he did it for all four of my bikes.

Sounds like you don't need regen, so the green button can be used for something else. The green button is on while you hold it down, so it would be better for a horn.

The power button is indeed spliced into the power supply.

In order to use a three position switch for low/medium/high power, your controller must have the ability to set the three power levels. The default on a Lyen controller is 33/66/99. I don't know if the BBSHD integrated controller has the ability to set three power levels. If not, you could return the switch or use it for turn signals.

Comment

Working...
                        X