Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpinist
    replied
    Glad to see you changed the description, I had no luck with those meters. I bought a new color display DCP-14 from you and that should get me most of the info I need for daily commute and I am excited about the big read-out display.

more posted in another thread:
    If you look at the picture, I'm holding the watt meter (I remembered I ordered this when I originally ordered by battery). The red connector top-left is an

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    Yes we recently discovered that the latest batch of watt meters we have gotten are not holding up well to 52 volts. We have changed the description in the add to read that we they should only be used for 48 volt batteries. Trying to get consistently good product out of china is tough.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    I don't know how many have been sold, but when 2 users have had 2 of 2 fail: statistically, that does not bode well for reliability. It seems these just aren't well suited for 52V systems.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 03-31-2016, 07:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclist83
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpinist View Post
    I too have wrecked 2 meters using them on my Luna 52v pack. The first one was replaced by Luna, no questions asked. I have not had the heart to ask for another knowing that it is going to fail again. I think a battman would be a better choice for my set-up. Or, perhaps one of the meters suggested above.
    Luna offered to refund me when I let them know that my 2nd meter in a mont failed.

Leave a comment:

• Alpinist
    replied
    I too have wrecked 2 meters using them on my Luna 52v pack. The first one was replaced by Luna, no questions asked. I have not had the heart to ask for another knowing that it is going to fail again. I think a battman would be a better choice for my set-up. Or, perhaps one of the meters suggested above.

Leave a comment:

• Lostboy423
    replied
    Ya I have blown up 2 meters as well with 52v pack.

Leave a comment:

• Tbro
    replied
    Thanks George, I will look into one of those meters too.

I'm with you JP, I like to see all the details and numbers of exactly what's happening.

Thanks to Lunacycle for comping me a discount on the Batt Man which should be arriving shortly.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    I picked up one of the meters from Amazon and made up an extension cable for my charger with the meter wired in-line. I took pictures to show the wiring, in case anybody wants to see how it goes together. Here:
    http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...d-data-display

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Tbro,

Yes, I also had a Luna Cycle Watt Meter that failed quickly, with a 52V pack. Same pack you have, actually. Luna Cycle took care of me. They would have let me return it, but I traded up to a Batt Man, instead. I like that a lot better. It does Wh counting, after a free, easy firmware upgrade. It has small wires to the handlebars with a remote shunt. It is compact on the handlebars. And it has survived rain, just fine.

-
    George,

That meter you showed is a nice find. It is hard to integrate to a bike, sure, but great for usage tracking and diagnostics. I'm going to order one right now, for dedicated use with my charger. Then I can track energy into my battery, see actual charge current, etc. Thanks.

-
    HDRockhopper,

I'm an engineer (you may have guessed that by now LOL) and I always like to have the data. Some don't care; I enjoy it and learn from it. I like to know what's going on. For most, simple and effective is preferred. Neither way is 'better' but I'm glad to have the capability. And I'm glad you easily learned to tell the capacity with the stock gauge, by closely watching it's behavior. Good tip. I hadn't noticed that yet, myself.

Tracking energy capacity vs pack voltage trends, over battery usage cycles, is an indicator of pack health. You can easily tell if you start to lose capacity, without range testing and worrying about what voltage you ran during the ride. This works best during charging, because the current is consistent so losses are repeatable, as opposed to when riding.

Monitoring voltage drop and current draw during a ride gives insight to internal resistance of the pack, another indicator of pack health. Batt Man logs this data for you, for later analysis.

Battery operating data is quite useful for those interested in monitoring how well their pack is working, how much capacity it really has, or how much it has degraded with use.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeS
    replied
    HDRH

I installed the Amazon meter but it's just taped on. This is the minimum you need to know the input power to your motor, the exact state of charge of your battery, and the exact energy you are using as you move along. It will also show the sag of the battery voltage as you deplete the battery. I test motors and I buy motors with little info floating around. I like to know how well the motors work, how well they climb hills, what their peak amp draws are. Most people don't need it, but I'm pretty keen on how ebikes and hub motors work. If it messes you up, what you do with the bars is ideal, exactly what people need to do. If you ever need diagnostics or want to know if you are legal, stuff like that, it's $20 and a bit of work.

Leave a comment:

• HD Rockhopper
    replied
    So much fuss about meter numbers...
    I have a 52v battery, and a 48v Bafang with 5 bars. No where near accurate, but it only took me about 6-8 rides to be able to judge when the bars start to intermittently disappear I am down to the last 1/4 or so of my overall range. That's enough information for me. Although, I always check my voltage after a ride by plugging in the Lunacharger to the battery before plugging into the wall. I use this number to help judge how far discharged the battery was and compare that to how my battery bars were acting on the end of that ride.
    Last edited by HD Rockhopper; 03-24-2016, 11:01 AM. Reason: Add info...

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeS
    replied
    There are several meters floating around, at HK, Ebay, and Amazon, but they all seem to be clones of the Watts Up meter. The quality control on the $20 is poor items, if you read the Amazon reviews. I'm not sure what Luna is selling, but the 60 volt max seems to put it with the clones. I've had the original Watts Up for 6 years, and I use it with my 48v battery. No issues.

I found this a couple of months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/6-5-100V-Displ...ilpage_o01_s00

This meter actually gets good reviews and it is cheap. It is rated 100 volts. It's wired differently, with a shunt, and the shunt is rather heavy and a bit large. The shunt means that all the meter does is measure the voltage dropping across the resistance, as I remember basic theory. You're trying to send a very high voltage through your meter, and at a fairly high amperage. This meter sends a tiny current to the meter.

I haven't set it up yet. It's not designed for a bike, it's designed for a panel, probably in a car. It's not waterproof. The reviews are solid. I might try to set it up on my ebike where the wiring is away from where I want a meter. The meter and shunt don't lend themselves to permanent installation on a bike. I have several projects pending. It always seems to pay to think any installation through until you find something that works.

Leave a comment:

• Tbro
    started a topic Luna Cycle Watt Meter Burned Out

Luna Cycle Watt Meter Burned Out

Anyone else burn out their Luna Cycle Watt Meter with a 52 volt battery?

http://lunacycle.com/batteries/guage...le-watt-meter/

Says in the product description that this meter will work with 52 volt batteries. It's rated up to 60 Volts and 200amps.

So far I've gone through two of these meters.
    Same thing happened both times. Worked for about a day, then the screen went black.

Tried unplugging and replugging to maybe reset it, but nope, dead, though power still runs to the motor.

The battery I'm using is a Luna Cycle 52 volt 20ah Panasonic PF triangle battery charged to 80% capacity, 55 volts, powering a Bafang BBSHD. Peak meter reading when the meter was briefly working was only 31 amps.

I had it plugged in exactly stock, with the original XT90 connectors, and there's only one way it can go. Input to battery, output to motor.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Working...
X