Electric assist recumbent bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric assist recumbent bikes

Are there any ready-made recumbent E-bikes? If not, are there any kits for recumbents?

I can pedal 10 mph all day but with the help of electric-assist I want to go 50 miles @ 22mph on a charge.

I ride mostly north and west of Chicago which is relatively flat with only a few hills. The worst hills are about 500 feet high with a 10% grade.

Many users have converted their recumbents to mid drives. BBS02 and BBSHD. Try googling your model with BBS02 in the search.

Comment

I put a geared hubmotor in the rear of a BikeE recumbent. It works well. There are quite a few threads on electrified BikeE's on Endless Sphere.
      Alan B

Comment

i really like the bafang mid drives as an easy installation on any boom type recumbent. I have been able to electriffy bikes i could not have done any other way.

Comment

Has anyone installed a bbshd in a BikeE CT? I don't think it will fit, but????

Comment

I have multiple recumbents. I have a BBS02 on a recumbent tandem trike. I have also tried it on a long wheelbase recumbent, Rans Stratus. There are 2 or 3 things to keep in mind. A mid drive works great on a recumbent but make sure you have room at the bottom bracket for the install. A few have too much frame thickness around the bottom bracket (google the BikeE CT and you'll see what I'm talking about). My Rans is a lightweight long aluminum frame. It was a little too flexy with the BBS02. When you hit the throttle, you could feel the frame flex sideways. A heavier built frame like the steel version would have been fine. Most recumbents would work fine. Sun Seeker is a lower end brand that have several good possible bikes or trikes. I am thinking of getting their Eco Tad model for a trike build. A good source of info on electric assist recumbents is the power assist sub forum on bentrideronline.com.

Comment

Working...
            X