Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own / have experiance with Luna's 5000w Rhino cargo ebike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own / have experiance with Luna's 5000w Rhino cargo ebike?

I'm looking to buy asap (im getting impatient). I have the funds but I'm still educating / researching things on all things ebike. Anyone know anything about this bike or its components? Anything I should know or buy to be "ready" for the bike arrival? What to improve / change / replace right away? Spare parts to have? What should I stock up my garage with for maintenance purposes? 1st ebike owners must haves?

I'm car free so this bike will act as my car (groceries and everything).

My intro thread to this.
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...r-4-season-use
    Last edited by huffherb; 03-27-2017, 09:40 AM.

That's going to be your first ebike? Color me jealous!

Comment

Try calling Luna and talking to someone there. Also there is a Facebook page called Fast Electric Bike that was started by Luna's owner Eric, go there and search. For the money I don't think you can beat that bike.I'm jealous as well, but hope you have a great experience, this is a top of the line bike. Be safe and go for it. Also need to brush up on all things regular bike related such as derailer adjustment, tire pressures, brakes and so on.Good luck....

Comment

My gut feeling is that this is not the best bike for a first ebike unless you are very skilled with bikes and comfortable with electronics. It has massive amounts of power, which puts the drive train at risk. You will destroy your rear hub if you make a mistake. Running 72 V at 5000 Watts is not a commuters bike. It is designed as a torque monster and racing bike for offroad. I want one badly, but if I was looking for a daily driver/singletrack capable bike, I would go with one of the high end full suspension or hardtail BBSHD offerings from Luna. Google cyclone ebikes and read as much as possible. Builders using the cyclone are experienced guys that love to tinker. The BBSHD is plenty of power, reliable, servicable, with a slick, user friendly color LCD dash.

Comment

Whichever bike you get, I would invest in an extremely good lock (no cables) and a helmet if you don't already have them. And especially if you get a Cyclone-powered bike, pants that are tight enough to not get sucked up by the external reduction (or carry a knife with which to cut off your right pant leg if it does happen).

I had Luna make me one their Super Bananas for a first e-bike, but that's me, and I tend to make unconventional choices.

Comment

We need to know what are your needs ? Do you really need a expensive ebike, that can do 50 mph or needs to go up long steep hills on a daily basis, without pedaling ?

If you tell us what you need, then we can answer better. If your daily commute is mainly flat roads, with small inclines , and you only need to do around 30 MPH top speed, then You can spend much less money , and meet your needs .

Comment

Originally posted by rumme View Post
              We need to know what are your needs ? Do you really need a expensive ebike, that can do 50 mph or needs to go up long steep hills on a daily basis, without pedaling ?

If you tell us what you need, then we can answer better. If your daily commute is mainly flat roads, with small inclines , and you only need to do around 30 MPH top speed, then You can spend much less money , and meet your needs .
              car replacement

Comment

I read through the electrical waterproofing so i started ordering electrical supplies off amazon

Comment

I think that bike is big time over kill for someone new to e-bikes. Be aware it is not street legal. Luna has alot of really nice street legal bikes to choose from. You need to ask yourself why you want this bike vs the other choices. Just my 2cents.

Comment

Dude if you have the bucks what are you waiting for, them to run out of stock
                    then that option is gone luna's stuff is hot hot hot and their stock goes fast
                    reorder's take time.
                    That bike will do what you need and more you aren't going to run hot or not have a big enough battery to get it done
                    as far as street legal drive it like you have some sense and you wont have a problem
                    and if you are hung up on the street legal thing get a Cycle analyst and on mode one make it street legal
                    There is a old saying that goes if you snooze you loose
                    On my street bike I am running 2600w and it climbs hills and does the legal 20mph just fine
                    and the range is great Just cause you have the big motor and battery does not mean you must go fast and ride like a idiot
                    big motors run cooler and big batteries have distance use that to your advantage
                    Cheers ole Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Swellens View Post
                      I think that bike is big time over kill for someone new to e-bikes. Be aware it is not street legal. Luna has alot of really nice street legal bikes to choose from. You need to ask yourself why you want this bike vs the other choices. Just my 2cents.
                      I'm a 27yo industrial mechanic / milwright / controls tech / whatever

I havent' had a car or "motor vehicle" goin on 5years.

My only "ride" is a trek mtb no suspension 1.5-2" tires

only time i didnt ride was dec-march because of temps.

The rhino appeals to me because...

rear igh = no derailleurs, more weatherproof, chain line doesn't change. (nomatter what bike i was going to get or build i was going to get an igh) (only other option would be 2 hub motors and i dont like the idea of hub motors no personal experiance though)

fat tires = all season use on and off road do everything but idk the quality of the wheelset parts (rims, spokes, how many holes, etc.)

cargo use = best car replacement

racks = it comes with racks front and rear. Otherwise i'd have to buy me some Tubus racks

suspension = wasnt priority to me. if they offered a full suspension version of the rhino then id probably take that.

fenders = included full coverage-ish fenders

looks = business not sporty meant to do work

i could probably get by with like the khs or gravity or whatever with or without any suspension or front only doesnt matter. save 1000 probably yea but no fenders, no igh, less power, less weight capacity.

I figure this cargo rhino will get me started. I can take the pre-built and do whatever i want to it from there. if later i want more bombproof i can try and do a rohloff igh and a new wheelset...or even try out belt drive....or whatever skys the limit.

The only other options ive considered were build from scratch or get any other fat bike from luna and swap out rear hub for igh and install some fenders, racks, and bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Werks View Post
                        Dude if you have the bucks what are you waiting for, them to run out of stock
                        then that option is gone luna's stuff is hot hot hot and their stock goes fast
                        reorder's take time.
                        That bike will do what you need and more you aren't going to run hot or not have a big enough battery to get it done
                        as far as street legal drive it like you have some sense and you wont have a problem
                        and if you are hung up on the street legal thing get a Cycle analyst and on mode one make it street legal
                        There is a old saying that goes if you snooze you loose
                        On my street bike I am running 2600w and it climbs hills and does the legal 20mph just fine
                        and the range is great Just cause you have the big motor and battery does not mean you must go fast and ride like a idiot
                        big motors run cooler and big batteries have distance use that to your advantage
                        Cheers ole Billy
                        Yea i think im just going to add to cart and close my eyes and keep clicking ok. next check is fri. i should order this weekend if in stock. im just nervious.

Comment

*ADDED TO FIRST POST*
                          https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...r-4-season-use

Comment

Originally posted by huffherb View Post

Yea i think im just going to add to cart and close my eyes and keep clicking ok. next check is fri. i should order this weekend if in stock. im just nervious.
                            Dude everything is a gamble what I want to say is this take it from a old man
                            Life is short have fun and enjoy life as much as you can
                            If the big luna bike is what strikes your fancy get it
                            You will learn as you go their is not much to go wrong with a ebike
                            And if something goes wrong with it you have mega support here and at luna
                            tools and supplies their are not much of that other than the norm
                            I think that bike will more than meet your needs it is better to have more in the ebike world
                            than to not have enough and struggle
                            Cheers ole Billy aka Green Werks

Comment

Yes, you seem to know what you are getting into. Go for it. You will be the only one on your block with one, that's for sure.

Comment

• huffherb
                                huffherb commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks for chiming in! I need all the input I can get before I spend this 3.5k. I just can't think of something else really unless I build one from scratch or go with an engine. I very very much like the "bike" platform for weight and efficiency and the ability to pedal. Again, I've been car free for like 5years...this is going to change my life.
                            Working...
                            X