What hub motor to purchase from Luna Cycle for my big heavy trike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What hub motor to purchase from Luna Cycle for my big heavy trike

I built this large trike about 2yrs ago. I purchased the hub motor kit off eBay from China and it has worked just fine until I burned it out on a hill with 2 passengers on the back. The hub motor I purchased was 1000w - 48v. I re-laced the motor into a 29" rim which take some power to make turn. The battery I have is 48v - 20ah. I need to purchase a new hub motor as much as I dislike them, after installing a BBSHD on my fat wheel bike and another on my mountain bike. Ideally a BBSHD would be good on this too but then I lose my coaster brake = no brakes. I know I can install a disc brake on the rear axle somehow but don't want to get into too much more fabrication on this beast.

I'd like to purchase the hub motor from Luna but I have no idea which one to purchase. Geared on non geared and then once I figure that out, which motor to purchase. Obviously it needs to be for the front wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Luna doesn't stock them (yet), but my only guess would be a 12T Mac motor. As Karl wrote "This motor produces a lot of torque but tops out at about 18mph". Maybe Luna will stock these sometime soon? I understand your wanting to order from Luna. They're a great company.

Comment

Thanks for that but I ran fine for 2 yrs with a Chinese 1000W hub motor. If I didnt make it over work up a hill carrying me and two passengers it would still be running fine. I'm certain what Luna has on their site with regards to hub motors would work for me. Ive sent them an email a few days ago but still no reply so I decided to post my question here.

Comment

If it doesn't have to be from Luna I'd take a look at Kinaye's stuff, this is in stock http://kinaye-motorsports.myshopify....-for-fat-bikes

My mxus build is my favorite bike!

Comment

yeah we at luna dont have a very good front hub selection yet...our only front hub is on the geared hub motor which is only good for about 20 amps.

If you want more power than that in a light weight geared hub motor i would really recommend a mac hub motor and you can buy that kit from em3ev.com. The mac is my favorite for front wheel installations I have several of my own bikes with that motor.

You can pump as much as 30 amps to a 8 pound mac. On a front wheel i really like geared hub motos because they are lightweight and smaller diameter so they are more stealthy.

Comment

1000w DD front mixus, on a trek pure, here. One of my favorite rides. Smoking quick with a 52V 20Ah PF pack.

Comment

Working...
            X