Hunting Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Rig

OK, I'm looking for a hunting bike for deer season. So it needs to have a good range, strong hill climb and enough power to pull some weight when loaded down. I have looked at Rambo 750 as a baseline for comparison. I can get a 2017 E3 Sumo for about the same price with a Bosch 250. or of course I could build something. I do like the fact that the factory bikes have a more finished feel to them with some through frame wring and such which I wouldn't be able to do with a build. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a decent budget. Just want to get this right the first time. Thanks

For less than the price of a Rambo 750 you can get a much better bike here. https://lunacycle.com/luna-2017-4-se...ire-ebike-khs/

Comment

Thanks for the note. I can get the Rambo 750 for about $2000 or a E3 Sumo (Bosch 350) for about $2200. Or the Luna for around $2300. I just don't understand enough about these bikes to really know the difference.

Comment

Although the Rambo 750 and Luna's 4 Season 500 are both rated at 750 watts, the Rambo has a BBS02 and the Luna has a BBSHD which is a superior motor that can be programmed for 1000 watts. You would need that extra power for hill climbing with a heavy load. And compare the specs on the batteries, big difference.

Comment

We made the Rhino to be out ultimate hunting bike and this is is the bike i would recommend for the task: https://lunacycle.com/luna-5000w-rhino-cargo/

Click image for larger version

Name:	rhino.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	690.4 KB
ID:	32169

Comment

Thanks, That's good info and I think you're right. What are your thoughts on the E3 Sumo (Bosch 350)? I know they are really something completely different but for my application is there any merit to the Bosch motor?

Comment

That Rhino is awesome. But I am in the military so I couldn't hide the power in that one. Over 750 would require licencing and prohibit me using it for hunting on post. That's also out of my budget. What's the difference in the 4 Seasons 500 and 1000?

Comment

The BBSHD motor is stamped "750 Watts". They probably won't check your controller programming and multiply that by your battery voltage in order to get the total watts used, so you can safely use up to 1500 watts without anyone the wiser. Now if they use the same rules as Federal parks use, then you are limited to using motorized vehicle tracks, not single-track trails, (no matter how many watts the motor is, to the Fed's a motor is a motor, no matter what powers it). Bottom line, you are probably limited to going the same places that 4wd trucks can go. So why not just get a 4wd truck to haul the deer out with? You can even mount a winch to pull it back to the truck with.

Comment

• CLP14
                  CLP14 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's exactly the choice I'm trying to work through. Get a truck or do essentially the same thing with a bike. Of course storing the bike is much easier. Thanks

https://lunacycle.com/luna-5000w-rhino-cargo/

Comment

Heres a Pig hunting bike build thread from a different forum im on. fun capable and not a lotta money. Could do something like this with a BBSHD and maybe a hardtail mtn bike with proper brakes. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60051 Yoou did mention hills so thats why the BBSHD recomendation
                  Last edited by Velodrome; 04-06-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

One final question for those kind enough to educate me... What is the difference in the Bosch 350 and the BBSHD setup? Beyond the obvious difference in the power. I understand the Bosch systems are set up differently. Which would work better for this application?

Comment

I'm a newbie big time in this business but this is what I believe:

Bosch system comes on purpose built bikes and they are much more expensive than anything you could build or buy built with the BBSHD.

BBSHD has more power, range and torque.

BBSHD has a ton of info on the web regarding DIY building and repairs.

Bosch is a much smoother system, and they feel more like you're just super human when you're riding while the BBSHD feels more jerky, especially in higher PAS levels.

BTW, I just bought a KHS 500 with the BBSHD for hunting/scouting. I haven't had it off road yet but I'll let you know how all that goes

Bob

Comment

The Bosch has a nice torque sensing pedal assist system for that natural feel. You can get it serviced by dealers.

The BBS motors can be custom programmed to suit your speed, weight, power, rules. FAR more flexible. You have to fix them yourself.
                        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks Folks. Bob, looking forward to hearing how your rig works out.

Comment

KHS-500 with a BBSHD from Luna: All the power and range I could need and then some. I rode 18 miles today and it didn't dent the battery. I was pedaling the whole time but I sure wasn't breaking a sweat. Also, while it's a lower end bike in comparison to the 1000 or 3000 it's plenty good enough for me and I'd say it's every bit as good or better in regards to components as the Rambo or Quiet Fat Kat.

I didn't get a suspension seat post or forks or shift sensor but quickly decided I needed all that so I bought and installed. Big improvement. Riding rough trails without any suspension is no fun and the sensor makes it much easier to shift quickly.

I will tell you it's been challenging to program to get the right mix of power and smoothness. I think if you're an experienced MTB rider you won't have a problem riding it with the stock programing. For me it's been a steep learning curve but I'll be ready by fall.

My only real complaint is that there are places/times where you've got to push the beast and while it has a "P" mode it seems very under-powered.

The next challenge is practicing with a Rambo type trailer.

Bottom line: For ~$2500 it's a good rig.

Comment

Working...
                            X