KHS-500 with 52v 13.5 Shark, 17" frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KHS-500 with 52v 13.5 Shark, 17" frame

At the risk of asking the lamest question ever.... I just received my KHS-500 with a 52v 13.5 shark and I cannot get the battery off the bike. Obviously it went on so it can come off but I'm guessing I haven't tried the right technique. I can push if up enough to clear the tabs but then I'm pinned against the frame. Same deal if I push it up to release and then try and pull it down or left/right.

What's the trick?

Thanks,
    Bob

PS. Really enjoying the bike. I live in a very hilly area and it's got all the power I need and then some. Hills that smoked me are an easy climb in PAS3-4.
    Last edited by rjfoy; 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM.

It may need a little coaxing if the mounting cradle shifted slightly from when it was installed? Some of my tightest fitting Shark packs, push up and lift out from the bottom of the cradle.

Comment

Tried that but I'm afraid that if I coax it much more than I've tried I'll break the battery tabs.

Comment

Try giving everything (battery & cradle) a good shove downward 1st and then see if it will clear sliding up and off the cradle?

Comment

No joy. It's a mighty tight fit.

Comment

To me, it looks like you'd have to push the front of the battery down slightly as you push up out of the cradle. Once you clear the tabs, lift up the rear and slide back. That being said, I'd recommend reaching out to Luna Cycle to get their exact directions. That way if you break a tab, you can hopefully get a replacement.

Comment

Thanks but tried that. I'd hate to admit how much time I've put into this! Does someone from the Luna team normally chime in on this forum or do you have to open a trouble ticket?

Comment

Yes, but you may get a quicker response using the Support area on the main page of Lunacycle.

Comment

Originally posted by rjfoy View Post
                  At the risk of asking the lamest question ever.... I just received my KHS-500 with a 52v 13.5 shark and I cannot get the battery off the bike. Obviously it went on so it can come off but I'm guessing I haven't tried the right technique. I can push if up enough to clear the tabs but then I'm pinned against the frame. Same deal if I push it up to release and then try and pull it down or left/right.

What's the trick?

Thanks,
                  Bob

PS. Really enjoying the bike. I live in a very hilly area and it's got all the power I need and then some. Hills that smoked me are an easy climb in PAS3-4.
                  Remember that they had to be able to remove the pack in order to install the mount. I have the same pack in a 14" frame, and I remove it every time I wash my bike.

Here's the trick.
                  1st, slide it enough to clear the tabs. 2nd, lift the bottom end of the pack enough to clear the mount. 3rd, pull the bottom end away, rotating at the upper end. 4th it is usually easier to do it on one side, than the other.

Second trick.
                  Check the mount to see if any of the bolts are threaded into water bottle mounts. Water bottle mounts usually have raised threaded holes that can be shaved down with a grinder. Make sure all the mount holes are shaved flush with the down-tube to give you maximum clearance.

Comment

Thanks Jas that worked. I shaved the water mounts some more and also sanded the rubber gasket a bit between the mount and the down tube and it comes off without drama.

I did end up breaking a top tab but it's still plenty tight and it had to come off to work on it so it's all good. I'm sure the guys that put these together every day have the technique down to a science.

Comment

Working...
                    X