Advice on hybrid donor bike for BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on hybrid donor bike for BBSHD

I'm new to the ebike world and looking to purchase a donor bike to combine with a BBSHD kit. The bike would be used for my 5 mile on-road commute.

My budget is ~$2,100 for the whole thing, which leaves me about $650 for the donor bike. I'm looking at purchasing one of these three hybrid bikes:
    Specialized Crosstrail Disc
    Trek Dual Sport 2
    Giant Roam 2

Any thoughts between these choices? I have test ridden the Specialized and Trek at my local bike shops, and gotten the (expected?) advice from the guys there that I shouldn't do a conversion on these bikes because they're not durable enough, will fall apart under the extra weight/power of the motor, etc.

Would be interested in any insight you all have on this, thanks.

Have you seen the Luna Roam 2 in your budget range? https://lunacycle.com/luna-giant-roam-2-road-bike/

I've become more and more impressed with Fat Tire eBikes powered by BBSHD's. Rigid frame running 4" tires seem to ride nicer on street than my nicely tuned FS (full suspension) mountain bike. Plus, it handles sand, loose dirt, gravel, grass or any soft surface like a champ.

Comment

Since you don't have a donor already and unless you are wanting to build it yourself, you might look at the Luna prebuilt bikes. You can get a great bike ready to go and still be in budget!

-Steve

Comment

I just picked up my Giant Roam 2 yesterday from Luna. If you pick it up at the store it is under $2000. I am very happy with it so far. I hit 32 MPH on a flat road! For this style of bike I think it makes more sense to buy the bike complete. I plan on building my own in the future after I get some experience with this one.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the pre-built bikes from Luna, I hadn't seen that before. I'm 6'4" and so was hoping for an XL frame size, but the largest Luna has showing is Large unfortunately. Plus, even if I select the available sizes on Luna's sight, it won't let me "add to cart", it's saying it is out of stock... this is happening for several of their bikes at different sizes, not sure what's going on.

Comment

• ykick
            ykick commented
            Editing a comment
            You bet Opti - Cloud-9 Cruiser Contour Saddle
            https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-9-Conto...cloud9+contour

• Kocho
            Kocho commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, good to have options. Indeed, if one prefers more of a relaxed and upright position, the shorter frame should do, as long as the handlebars can go tall enough. I personally like to have my seat as high as it needs to be to touch with a straight leg the pedal with my heel. That'S my "normal" road riding height and anything lower increases fatigue. Since I have sizee 15 feet, I have no problem supporting myself at stops without getting off the bike. But yes, if less pedaling and more throttle, then the frame size would not be critical. Bigger cruiser style seat would be needed, indeed :) My wife likes riding that way, lower and with a vertical torso with no weight on the wrists, she'll never ridden like I do and vice-versa...

• OptimusPrime
            OptimusPrime commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, got my Cloud9 ordered!

I think it's because they don't have much pre-built inventory. They basically sell them as fast as they can put them together.

Comment

Pictures speak 1000 words so here's my current configuration (notice the steering stem riser) - Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_182215_zpsgvzhvkvp.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	574.8 KB
ID:	36469

Comment

• OptimusPrime
              OptimusPrime commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a great looking bike! I'm loving the shape of that saddle too.

• Kocho
              Kocho commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice! Just needs a front fender? I've never tired a fat bike. I'm tempted ;)

• ykick
              ykick commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m mostly in So California so my rain/wet needs are fairly minimal. Front basket catches most front tire top spray from light saturations. The rear tie-wrap fender is good enough for puddles and light rain too.

But one of the major downsides about wide/fat tires is they throw off a LOT more water compared to thinner tires. Thin road bike tires barely need fenders riding the heaviest flooded roads. At least that's how it seemed to work in NYC for 11 years commuting year round. But I do love the fatties with HD mid-drive now....

Originally posted by ykick View Post
            Pictures speak 1000 words so here's my current configuration (notice the steering stem riser) - Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_182215_zpsgvzhvkvp.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	574.8 KB
ID:	36469

Very handsome! fairfax towing and recovery

Comment

If I do have to ride in downpour conditions I’ll take my Swift folder with full wraps.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	FolderTrailer.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	36502
              20Ah battery pack lurking in that trailer.... Frame bag holds 5Ah.

Comment

Working...
              X