BBSHD without display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD without display

Is there any way of running a BBSHD without any display? Some way to set the HD to remember settings then remove the display? Maybe some type of jumper connector on the display wire (like is on the Sondors)?

Thats a good question and as far as I know it is not possible....maybe someone will have some work around. But i would say cant be done.

Comment

We need to analyze the serial communications between the display and the controller. It apparently is necessary to keep the controller operating.
      Alan B

Comment

So far none that I've seen, but I miss the point? It could be retired and tucked away. Again, I miss the point? Stealth? Reworded a hidden you'd still need the buttons. Alan Biocca has been looking at the three button switch and reported it was more complicated than expected. I think that's a fair characterization of his findings.

Comment

Eric, Can't be done? (20yrs. ago, the BBSHD wasn't possible,) of course it can! The Sondors has a plug that shorts a few wires together, PAS1, no display. Louis, miss the point? It's Bling. If the display gets broken(think internal short, 20+ miles into the woods) NO motor. In my case, I never use PAS. Watt meter, KPH(speed) are inaccurate. Battery gauge doesn't work with a battery over 48V. Other then to turn it on and off (4 me) no purpose = Bling. Is there a display extension cable? Then I cold tuck it way inside my battery bag(until someone smarter then me (almost everyone) comes up with a workaround).

Comment

Yeah for sure i would love to see a work around . I would love to see someone pump some more amps to the bbshd but as for now cannot be done :(

I have some unpotted bbshd and bbs02 controllers if any electronic experts want to tinker and see what they can pull off in terms of work arounds :)

PM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by mrm View Post
              Eric, Can't be done? (20yrs. ago, the BBSHD wasn't possible,) of course it can! The Sondors has a plug that shorts a few wires together, PAS1, no display. Louis, miss the point? It's Bling. If the display gets broken(think internal short, 20+ miles into the woods) NO motor. In my case, I never use PAS. Watt meter, KPH(speed) are inaccurate. Battery gauge doesn't work with a battery over 48V. Other then to turn it on and off (4 me) no purpose = Bling. Is there a display extension cable? Then I cold tuck it way inside my battery bag(until someone smarter then me (almost everyone) comes up with a workaround).
              Trouble is the number of requests I read are incredibly low, even scouring ES. I get your point. But it's market driven. Reports from tinkerers aren't very encouraging. How about hiding the bling in a frame pack? Wire solder and go. For now that may be the only way. Until the HD I never considered the BBS a clear choice for the woods. Now we have a contender. Jeez, here comes number 3....

Comment

I came back to this thread after riding my BBSHD for the last month. Being new to ebiking I really didn't see the need, but I do now! mrm is right, we need a work around here. I have a degree in electronic engineering and if I had a schematic of the controller and display, (in English, my Hanzi is not so good!) I am sure I could come up with something. How about it Eric?

Comment

I bet we can figure it out. I think a serial protocol is required, as well as a few wires.
                  Alan B

Comment

I doubt i could get a schedmatic from bafang....they would think i was up to something like trying to hot rod the controller :)

Comment

OK, we go with plan 'B', like louis said, hide the bling in a frame pack. All that would require is modifying the display by putting a connector in the line to the button module and then extending it, your throttle, and an ebrake if you use it, from the pack where you have hidden your display. In this way you can still power up and down and set PAS/throttle, and have nothing on your bars but the button module and a throttle.

Comment

• mrm
                        mrm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Rix, In my manual for my C963 display (page 16) is a Wire Definition page that shows what the different color wires are and their purpose. Could you figure out a jumper from that? When I say jumper , I mean like my Sondors has to eliminate the display. Of course a on/off switch and a permanent zero setting for the PAS would be needed. I believe all the display manuals show this wire definition page. Thanks, Me.
                        Last edited by mrm; 03-04-2016, 04:30 PM.

My C961 manual doesn't have that info. So I downloaded your manual and have the pinout now. If the display was just a serial user interface, it would be possible to set up the controller and simply unplug the display, and insert a 'null plug' to complete the serial data loop. This is not the case. Based on that pin out I suspect that the display is not just a serial user interface but is in fact a micro-controller and MUST be in contact with the main controller to work properly. I will do more research and see what I can find, but without a schematic, it's hard to say with any certainty, for now I'm going with plan B, and get this useless display off my bars!

Comment

• mrm
                        mrm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Rix, when I had a 961, I put the display in a cheapo frame mounted saddle bag. I still had enough wire to put the buttons on the bars. Me.

I'd pondered the BBS02 without a display for a clean handlebar setup, and thought it already had been sorted out, based on this post:
                      https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...t=100#p1026624

This youtube video suggest it works for the BBS02, does it not work for the HD? https://youtu.be/nke-KT60Pcg

Comment

mrm, my C961 only has a couple of inches of line between the display and the button module. I will have to cut it and install an extension. wish they came that way from the factory, would make it easy to mount display anywhere you like. Bars, bag, or wherever. Yours must have had a lot of wire between the button module and the display!

​idearat, I think this post from ES is about replacing your display with a cycle analyst. Not a bad idea, but I want NO display, other than a Watt meter (bat-man). I don't need the myriad of info the CA gives, I don't need speed or time or outside air temp (controller temp would be nice), or anything other than watts used. The idea mrm suggested and I see the need for was removal of the display, so it doesn't get crushed in a crash, leaving me stranded far from home. I think replacing my display with a CA and crushing it in a crash would be even more heartbreaking!

I think I'm going to make a custom cable that gives me just a throttle and a button module on the bars, and lets me hide the display in a protective case in a pack. I'll post when it's complete. Might take awhile, I'm working on our house, which we are about to sell, and I still have a healthy list of to-do's! Besides, I seem to spend all my spare time riding my bike! Imagine that!

Comment

Idearat was right. Reading this ES thread through, you can dump the display, turn off pas, get rid of the speedometer cable and have a working BBSXX with the throttle as the sole thing on your bars. No CA required. Dump the Bafang speedometer and use the one on the Batt Man watt meter from Luna for an actually useful display. Best of all worlds unless you like pas. In that case you are stuck with "plan B" as described above.

Kepler suggests a few programming changes to turn off pas and smooth out the throttle. I just scrutinized Kepler's schematic in idearat's ES link and it looks like you can just plug in the bafang programming cable and you are set. I took a programming cable apart and it already ties the brown and orange wires together. His schematic shows that you can put an on/off switch on the brown and orange wires if you don't want to plug/unplug your battery each time. It looks like that is it - program the controller, unplug the USB from your computer, leave the programming cable plugged into the BBSHD controller instead of the display, plug the battery back in and go for a ride.

So, thanks to Kepler, we have our display elimination jumper - Sondor's style. Its a bafang programming cable. You can just buy one from Luna to get the green connector and remove the usb/ttl part or just keep the usb/ttl circuit on there for future programming - you just have to find a place to hide it. Kepler's work was done on a BBS02 but since the wiring, display and controller interface are the same for BBSHD it should work. Let me know. I sold my last BBSHD conversion so can't try it right now. I have another BBSHD on order from Luna and will try it when it arrives.
                          Do something that is good for your health, good for your wallet and good for the planet - get an e-bike.

www.poweredride.com

Comment

• mrm
                            mrm commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank You! I just tried it and it seems to work! Getting rid of the speed sensor is a bonus! I just tried it inside the house, tomorrow I'll give it a real test. I knew someone (smarter then me) would figure it out!
                        Working...
                        X