Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried searching but couldn't find an exact match to my question. I have a
    48v-Shark 13.5ah battery with the Luna 48v 3/5amp charger with digital readout "Energizer". Attempted to charge to 100% @ 3amp but it seems to get stuck at 54.3 ~54.4v and never turns off. I believe the cutoff is 54.7?? Batt doesn't get hot but I unplugged it after a while (hours). Today is the first time I used the bike to get to work~22 miles. I'm recharged at work for the ride home. Should I be concerned? Thoughts?

Comment

Hi again,

Is the BBSHD compatible with the Race Face Ride crankset arm?

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of it so I'm gonna say no

• Joe Remi
      Joe Remi commented
      Editing a comment
      You need square-taper crankarms with no spider to fit a BBSHD. The Ride won't work.

Hello,

Looking to install a BBSHD kit on my Cyclocross.

I'm just wondering if a Sram GXP press fit BB is compatible.

I tried researching on the GXP bb and found that its a BB86 standard which I also later found is pretty much the same thing as PF41. (im not sure if it is true, information is very sparse on GXP pressfit or my google-fu sucks)

Can I get the PF41 adapter that Luna sells and use that for my BB?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Xespar; 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Hello.

What is the recommended torque tightening spec for the bbshd:
    1) crank arm
    2) chain ring 5x mounting bolts
    3) bottom bracket 2x m5 mounting bolts
    4) bottom bracket lock nut
    5) bottom bracket aluminum lock nut cover
    6) handlebar brake mount bolts

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Just hand tighten it until it feels "snug" but don't go past that. I like to get to the point where it stops moving until you apply more force and then apply about an half an inch of more force to snug it in..

The steel lock-ring though requires about 80 foot pounds of torque.

Oh yeah and for the Handlebar mounts. Don't OVERTIGHTEN the screw in plastic. The plastic will crack. Just tighten it a TINY bit, like 1/4th of an inch, not even.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 06-27-2018, 11:36 AM.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The main documentation link has a bbshd manual on it with all the recommended torque specs.

https://lunacycle.com/documentation

But it's not really needed to get that specific, as my colleague said. You ever read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"? There's a few pages about how you get to know what is 'machine tight' for metal screws and bolts, how this differs from 'plastic tight' or other materials, wood etc. A pretty good read if you got some time to kill.

Only metal part that I could see you want to be specific on is the crank bolts, since the tapered hole may deform if the spindle is loose and banging around on the sides of the hole. But if you are using aftermarket crank arms this is a non-issue as the metal is much harder

I recently ordered a Luna Cycles fork for my fat bike. The fork works great but has too much sag and bottoms out .Seems like it just needs more pressure. Is there a recommended pressure for my weight (about 300 lbs) or a max pressure to run on this fork? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kennemore.m@gmail.com View Post
      I recently ordered a Luna Cycles fork for my fat bike. The fork works great but has too much sag and bottoms out .Seems like it just needs more pressure. Is there a recommended pressure for my weight (about 300 lbs) or a max pressure to run on this fork? Thanks
      From http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...re-893810.html,

"set it by sag. there is no silver bullet guide to air pressure and rider weight. just set it by sag, test ride it, and adjust accordingly."

Also a lot of good info here https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/vie...php?t=12861115.

Looks like 125 psi might be a good starting point. You will have the fork too stiff before you reach the maximum, so just increase gradually and incrementally until you get where you want to be. Easy to pump in or remove air with your Schrader pump and fun to ride and test.

As long as your Google reading is for front, air-type suspension forks (as opposed to rear shocks or coil springs in the front), Googling will easily provide a wealth of info on sag and what stiffness you desire for your application.

Ideally, Luna would have one of these for your fork: http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/pv...4160_rev_a.pdf. If not, loosely refer to that pdf and don't go crazy with high air pressures.
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-27-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I have a shark 52V 13.5A battery and a 300W Advanced Luna Charger. Bought the Fusion fat bike back in October 2017. Everything has been great until recently the battery only charges to 52.2-52.3 level instead of the usual 58.1. Has dramatically reduced my range. Appreciate your help with suggested fixes.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          What does the voltage reading of the charger say?

• ZaxBike
          ZaxBike commented
          Editing a comment
          starts at 52 or low 52 before connecting to battery. finishing charge at 51 and change or low 52. It used to finish the charge at 58.1V, but hasn't for about a week now.

I'm interested in finding out if the FLX Trail (new version) https://flx.bike/products/trail with the 350/750W Bafang Max motor can be "lightly" modded: the chainring is 40T - 104BCD and in my daily commute I top out at 28 ~ 32mph on long flats & some light downhills. So I'm thinking the gearing is limiting faster speed as I feel I'm doing 30mph and still not over-exerting.
        Would going to a 42T or 44T chainring improve top speed, even if only 5mph? Would the motor controller still be OK and not be overloaded with those extra teeth?
        What chainring is currently available that would be direct fit on the newer Bafang Max 350W motor?

It would be nice if the bike's factory electronics and motor could support hotrodding to 48V without risk of frying, but most likely too risky?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          FLX put something in the controller to prevent usage of 48v batteries for latest models. Apparently they are against allowing users to overvolt since the higher the power the more likely it is to break. Sad to see any company taking such an anti-customer approach but there you have it.
          If you got an older flx you can pop a 48v pack into it and it'll work.
          No idea on the chainring. It is just as possible there is a speed limit programmed into the controller as opposed to being purely limited by tooth count.

• EngineerX
          EngineerX commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw the 48V overvolting on the version 1 FLX, Limiting top speed bites and shame on FLX, @32mph seems I keep pedaling and not going faster. I'll have to find a way to try some aftermarket higher-tooth count chainring and test. Thanks for chiming in.

I am looking to purchase pedals so that I am prepared to install everything on my bike when my BBSHD comes. in. Are the pedal threads that fit the BBSHD 9/16"?

Thanks

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, all Bafang Mid-Drive kits use the standard most common threading for pedals.

Just received my 17.5Ah Panasonic GA triangle pack and it came with a small Luna display that was not already within the wrapped pack like my last GA 21Ah rectangle pack had (see picture).

Couple questions:
        1) Is that circuit board with display the BMS or is the BMS inside the pack?
        2) Does the display have to be plugged in for proper operation?

I'm installing this triangle pack inside my frame bag, so I won't be looking at the battery display. The Bafang BBS02B color display has all I need.
        Attached Files
        MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
        2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11
        2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive
        2018 Surly ECR 1x7
        1991 Schwinn Crosspoint 7spd (BBS02B)

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          It is not the BMS. It is an optional voltmeter we threw in as a freebie in case you wanted it. The white thing is an adhesive backed foam block for easy mounting on any portion of the battery you find convenient if you choose to use it. I know one guy that would extend this wiring and mount the voltmeter directly into the frame for custom builds, not sure I would recommend that without taking additional steps since it is not waterproof but it is a neat indication of how it is potentially adaptable.

• Rider
          Rider commented
          Editing a comment
          Great thank you.

Forgot to mention I didn’t receive the Luna battery frame bag that comes with this battery. How do I proceed to get that sent out?

• Kinni
          Kinni commented
          Editing a comment
          I would email sales at sales@lunacycle.com. They dont always reply right away but they are good at what they do. Dont forget to put your order # in the email.

I didn't buy the e-brake cables when I bought my Luna 7500W motor and controller.

I see three connections on the controller labelled: High Brake (One wire); Low Brake (Two wires); EBS Brake (Two separate connectors, 1 wire each)

I would like to add connectors and run the wires up to my brake levers which have switches on them.

I also don't want to break anything hooking up the brakes.

From what I read online, I think if I connect the two wires together on the Low Brake connector that the motor will shutoff. Is this correct?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Might want to email us for this one as we may need to check with the shop.

Hey hey! I've got a Populo Scout with a Bafang Max Drive mid-drive pushing 350 watts. The chainring is garbage on this drive, and I've had several dropped chains for no real good reason. I'm ready to upgrade to a narrow-wide ring, but I'm not finding anything online anywhere about the specs to shop replacements! Any information would be appreciated, and if you have experience with quality, compatible products - please let me know!

Thanks so much!

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          You would need a spider compatible with the max. Don't know if one exists, we don't sell parts for max only ultra.

Re: BBSHD. I only used one of the brake cut-off sensors out of the two I received so I have an extra higo socket hanging on the front of my bike. I plan on installing the gearsensor up near the shifter on the handlebars to prevent skipping on hard bumps. Can I use this extra brake plug for the gearsensor? The cable is a foot too short for this if I use the gearsensor cable from the motor and Luna is out of stock of the extension I need.

Comment

• Kinni
          Kinni commented
          Editing a comment
          interesting. I plugged it in to the brake cut-off and it seems to actually have less lag than the dedicated plug but it could be my imagination. I haven't ridden the bike far yet and only time will tell. I got a piece of 20/3 wire from West Marine and could make my own extension but atm I don't see the point. To Rider: I wouldn't ride without the sensor, it's a chain saver for me.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess it is possible bafang changed it. Just going off of experience for the times when we were not using a dedicated gearsensor plug we heard more feedback that cutout time was increased using ebrakes. But that was over a year ago.

Fun fact, you can actually wire gearsensor up to cyclone as well, but it's not plug and play you gotta cut the ebrake connector and hardwire it.

• Rider
          Rider commented
          Editing a comment
          Kinni - I always forget most people use derailleurs. I only use IGH rear hubs, so a short back pedal is a no brained. One of my rides has a belt drive too. I’m not sure if I can ever where that thing out...

I am thinking about purchasing the Luna six fifty 7200 e bike advertised on the Luna Cycle webpage and have a few questions.
        1. The battery pack is described as back pack battery. Does this come with the 52v shark panasonic or is that another option?
        2. The display option says luna 750c and then the add goes on later and describes the DPC 14. Can a DPC 18 be substituted for an additional cost?
        3. Front chain ring from what I can find is a luna mighty mini 30 tooth. Is this correct? Are other chain rings available and is a 40t or 42t available for this bike?
        4. There is one review posted on the ad page that say "Nice bike excepts it skips out of gear" Is this still and issue? If a larger chain ring is available would it make the problem better or worse?
        Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Likely we would be doing the build with a Wolf pack these days. Given that Wolf is slightly smaller and requires less clearance there is a chance it might fit medium 7200 rather than it needing to be a backpack battery. Though that would need to be checked of course. And at a minimum given the new design it can be mounted under the downtube.

DPC18 is sold out so that's not doable. You could upgrade it later though, if you wanted to.

Yes it has a 30t mini. Given the way the chainstay flares out you probably can't go much larger. Maybe a 36 would be doable. It's not an option we are offering at this time but we sometimes sell a 36.

I don't know that skipping was ever an issue. With any mid drive there's a ton of things that can cause skipping, from a derailer that needs tune, chain needs lube, chain link not bending and needing replacement, or chainline. If it's due to chainline a larger ring would only help if it was greater than 42t, which likely would not fit this frame. You would address chainline multiple other ways though if it came to that, here's a link on it https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bshd-and-bbs02

What do you think is causing this? I have a 52v 13.5ah Shark battery with a Bafang BBDHD drive. I bought it assembled from LunaCycle on a KHS Aguilla bike. It has a 750C display. It is a little over a year old.

I have over 700 miles on the odometer and it has worked very well until now. It starts up fine and then I begin riding in peddle assist mode. After a couple minutes the display goes blank and the motor stops assisting. Trying to restart the controller only results in the display briefly flashing the Luna logo and then going blank. After several minutes it will start again and work for a couple minutes before failing again. The battery is fully charged and shows over 56 volts. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting all of the connectors.

Comment

• Kinni
          Kinni commented
          Editing a comment
          sounds like you might have bad contacts on your battery cradle. They get a little loose over time. Check this:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-documentation

scroll down a bit to the troubleshooting part

• Dave W.
          Dave W. commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds likely. I have a small problem. I have looked and looked and can not find the key to remove the battery from the cradle. Where can I buy one?

• Kinni
          Kinni commented
          Editing a comment
          locksmith is your only hope Obi Wan
      Working...
      X