Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F15Ranger View Post

Thanks for the Tip. I have a Rohloff hub so there is no shift sensor installed. Not sure if you have played with one but it wont let you shift until you stop peddling. The original link broke as i used the throttle passing someone on a paved flat trail. Its possible that i was in a lower gear than i should have been. After further inspection i found a few small burs on the race face sprocket that were easily filed off. I am not sure if this was the cause or the result. A few days ago the chain did come off once for some unknown reason but then rode nearly 100 miles and even up some of the craziest hills in downtown Seattle without issue. Now and again i noticed a click sound possibly coming from the chain but i wasn't sure. I am maybe thinking it was from a stiff link. Would that cause a failure if it was accidentally pinched to tight as the master link?
    local bike shop in my building and none of the quick links fit.. chain was wider... ended up just breaking another link and using the pin. It would be great if someone could answer what size chain comes stock on the Apex so i can order a few extra feet just in case... hopefully this was a fluke.

Comment

I have just gotten my bbshd kit and I have run into this issue. The chainstay is preventing motor from sliding all the way into the bottom bracket and I cannot mount the motor. Is there anything that can be done about this? I do not want to return my kit and bicycle.

BBSHD 100mm and Motobecane Lurch X9

Thanks

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      That chainstay flares super wide, so you'd need a 100mm-120mm kit with spacers.

• FlameOfAnor
      FlameOfAnor commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn. Should this be easily cleared up by ordering the different sized motor kit?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, if the motor is unused, unscratched and fairly in new condition, email support@lunacycle.com with your order # and pictures of the motors condition and request for an exchange in size.

I have a bbshd my kids unplugged the the lcd screen bent some prongs I straighten them out but sparks flew I plugged in all back in and now I get nothing , is there a fuse I blew ? if so where is it located if not whats next ?

Comment

I have a 750w Bafang geared hub motor, 60v Battery and a 35a controller. They are from a Sondors Fat Bike that I have. I’m wondering if I can use this combo in a carbon fiber fat bike frame.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      This question is outside of my skillset, so you may not get an immediate answer for this for bit unless somebody else here has something to chime in about it. Plus it's kind of a vague question. More info about the carbon fiber fat frame would be needed like it's specifications. Maybe pictures of it? Technically you can make anything work if you have the right DIY attitude.

I’m just asking about using a hub motor in a carbon fiber frame in general. I’ve looked at some of the Chinese frames and some name brand frames with 177mm rear spacing. My concern is the strength of the frame and the torque from the electric motor.

Comment

• Joe Remi
      Joe Remi commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the problem you'll have is getting any kind of approval from people (like Luna) who can't promise you it'll work. My personal opinion as just some guy on the internet: Carbon doesn't bend, it snaps. I wouldn't put a hub in a carbon rear end not designed for it.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Joe's kinda right. There isn't enough information about the frame and carbon is usually not a great option anyways. Always better to go with Steel for safety purposes.

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't do it. I would choose a steel or titanium frame.

I have a BBS02 and I have two newish batteries that are having issues. The motor cuts out at 50V on both batteries. The same thing happens on a second bike/motor with these batteries. My theory is that the motor is causing damage to the BMS of the battery.

1) Could the motor (short, controller issue, etc) cause the battery BMS to be damaged?
    2) Why would the motor cut off at 50V on these 48V batteries? Voltage surge due to BMS issue?
    3) Is there any info on how to replace a BMS (what model, where to purchase, and how to install?

Thanks!

Comment

• danbaron
      danbaron commented
      Editing a comment
      How else do you explain two different batteries doing the same exact thing on two different motors? They worked fine on the good motor, and then they end up with this problem after being on the "bad" motor. If it was the LVC, then batteries on my "good" motor would work down to 42V, but these batteries cut off at 50V on both motors. I don't see how it could be an LVC setting. I will replace the BMS, but I'm assuming the new BMS will get damaged on the "bad" motor again, since this has already happened to two batteries. Seems odd how the batteries works fine down to 50V, then cuts off on on both motors. With my normal battery that's only been on the good motor, the my good battery works normally.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      A bms is specifically designed to handle shorts as one of its main functions and we have never seen a short change the BMS LVC. Could be anything from sag, riding style, cell degradation, who knows. If you are saying it's happening on two bikes then probably not the motor or controller on the one bike, it was my understanding from previous comments this was only on one bike.

• danbaron
      danbaron commented
      Editing a comment
      1. Buy New Battery
      2. Test it on both motors... works fine
      3. Run it for one month on motor 1, and suddenly it starts shutting off at 50V
      4. Test it again on motor 2 and it does the same exact thing, shuts off at 50V
      5. Conclusion: something about motor 1 is causing the battery to have issues.

What to do next... assume it's just the battery and buy a new one? Yet, this issue has already happened to two different batteries on Motor 1.
      Or just buy a new motor and a new battery... getting kinda expensive!

Hi,
    I just finished installing a cyclone mini and took it to a test-ride. all stock parts from Luna.

The throttle response is very poor. Very un-smooth. It felt like the motor sometimes suddenly kicks very hard in response to a minor change in throttle position. It is impossible for me to ride the bike this way.

Will a different controller fix this? will the Kelly controller fix this? any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

• endrew
      endrew commented
      Editing a comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      See if your display allows you to limit the maximum current. If your display does not allow this, you can program a maximum current in your controller.

What kind of display and what kind of controller are you running?
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-04-2018, 06:39 PM.

• endrew
      endrew commented
      Editing a comment
      No, with the stock parts from Luna it is not possible...

Charging my 48v battery with the advanced charger to 80%, the voltage readout on the charger shows 54.4V after I let it charge overnight. Knob is on the 80% setting. I’d expect the volt reading to show 52ish for a 80% charge. Is this normal behavior? Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      How old is the charger? Some older versions needed to be fully power cycled before changing percentage setting.

• Bosus
      Bosus commented
      Editing a comment
      Two weeks old. Same behavior at 90% setting after numerous power cycles and charges.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      No other option then, hit us up on email and we'll exchange it.

does Luna offer a service of parrellin two mini cubes if I bought them?? or would I have to do that myself. I would gladly pay extra for luna to do that

Comment

thank you I appreciate that, what would you do if you wanted three minis at one time??
    Last edited by Dave mc; 07-04-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Google xt90 3 in 1 parallel connector

Paxtana: charger is two weeks old. It Was previously set at 90%. I Power cycle each time.

Comment

any idea when the CYCLONE 3D CYCLONE MOUNTING SYSTEM

will be back in stock?

Comment

The power button on my 52v panasonic dolphin battery won't stay in. I push it in and it just pops out again. I had to tape it down in order ofr it to work. Any suggestions on a fix?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        You can probably bypass the power button but it would be permanently on.

Does Lunacycle sell parts for the BAFANG mm G330.250? We believe the clutch has gone bad on my bike, but the company I bought it from appears to have folded and contacting BAFANG directly hasn't worked out. I'm having a hell of a time finding parts for this thing. Link to the companies writeup of the motor below.

https://www.bafang-e.com/en/componen...m-g330250.html

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        We do not sell parts for this motor. Sorry.

I read that the distance I should expect from my voilamart 48v 1000w front hub wheel is ten miles, is this true? I have 4 12v. 18a batteries fully charged at 54v ish, it seems that anything close 48v shows the battery as low is this normal? Maybe pulling 300lbs (bike included) going full throttle for five miles is "half a tank"
      Last edited by Weht; 07-05-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Lead acid batteries have far more sag and far less cycles than lithium. The more cycles you put on it the more sag it will show. This means the voltage dropping when you hit throttle, especially if you are pulling 300 pounds. No, adding another motor will not make you go faster, and it will only serve to increase your sag as it will increase the load. For speed you need more voltage. For less sag you need lithium, or at a minimum to add another 4 lead acid batteries in parallel. I would highly recommend to get a nice lithium battery.

• Weht
        Weht commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes a lithium battery would take 44lbs off the total weight. After asking a master electrition it seems that with some formulas that my battery will deplete almost the Same when going faster with a more powerful motor. So maybe i can change my sprockets to get faster. Another question follows
    Working...
    X