Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you fit 7.6mm wide zip ties through the grommets on the triangle frame bag?
    Last edited by dirt huffer; 07-07-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Frame bag I mean

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The grommets are roughly 6mm. So any ziptie significantly wider than that would not fit.

Hello, I have very little experience with these lipo batteries.. I am going to power a 1000w 48v hub motor. What is the best/ safest way to wire these? If I wire them in series I will get 44,4 volt nominell so that will be to little right? does these have bms integrated in them? Wich type of charger should I use to charge them? I want to do this safest possible so I cant manage to overcharge them or undercharge.. I know that the constant discharge is 10c andthe peak for 10seconds is 20c. Is that something I need to think about when I am riding? do I need to disasemble the packs to fit a BMS so I dont have to think about discharging them to much?
    What do I need to not do anything wrong? I know in lithium batteries that the BMS take care of those problems.. is it the same case with these lipo`s?

Thanks

Much Appriciated

Magnus
    2X TURNIGY Multistar High Capacity 10000mAh 6S 22.2V
    Last edited by bearing340; 07-08-2018, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Weht
      Weht commented
      Editing a comment
      While researching this battery and how to connect them and what the discharge rate means and going through ohms law and such; I realized that I do not have the right amp for my 1000w 48v motor with 18ah.

• Weht
      Weht commented
      Editing a comment
      Theoretically tho couldn't one series 3 of these and use a 72v controller?

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      Three of these in series is a nominal 66.6 V. The recommended LVC for a 72V Lithium ion battery is 65V. I would use a 72V battery for 72V controller.

Originally posted by bearing340 View Post
    Hello, I have very little experience with these lipo batteries.. I am going to power a 1000w 48v hub motor. What is the best/ safest way to wire these? If I wire them in series I will get 44,4 volt nominell so that will be to little right? does these have bms integrated in them? Wich type of charger should I use to charge them? I want to do this safest possible so I cant manage to overcharge them or undercharge.. I know that the constant discharge is 10c andthe peak for 10seconds is 20c. Is that something I need to think about when I am riding? do I need to disasemble the packs to fit a BMS so I dont have to think about discharging them to much?
    What do I need to not do anything wrong? I know in lithium batteries that the BMS take care of those problems.. is it the same case with these lipo`s?

Thanks

Much Appriciated

Magnus
    2X TURNIGY Multistar High Capacity 10000mAh 6S 22.2V
    If your controller is optimized for 48V, I would use a 48V nominal battery in order to stay well above the LVC.

Comment

• Weht
      Weht commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad these don't come in 10v the amps seem great but it would still cost a lot

I'm looking to buy the BBSHD kit, but you do not have the larger batteries available. Do you plan on having those in stock soon? I do not want to order until they are available. Thanks.

Comment

On the 750W hubmotor, what is the thread pitch for the axel nuts?

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      Editing a comment
      All nut sizes have a standardized coarse and fine thread pitch. All of the hub motor axles that I have seen are the coarse thread pitch.

You can probably also assume that it is metric. I have seen M14, M15 and M16. Make sure not to use SAE nuts!
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM.

• Edq1
      Edq1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tried several metric nuts from the HW store but non of the thread patterns match. I am now looking at internet ordering and need specifics for Luna Cycles 750W geared hub motor kit. One of the included nuts is defective.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      This page has printable to-scale charts which can be used to ID anything
      https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...s/default.aspx

For the 750W hub motor will any of your other twist throttle options work with the included controller. Specifically looking at the thin profile one as it will not interfere with my shifter.
    Last edited by Edq1; 07-09-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're referring to the BBSxx twist throttles, then unfortunately no, since they're only compatible with BBSxx mid-drives only.

• Edq1
      Edq1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you know what the difference is? I have a BBS kit I got last fall and it came with what appears to be the same half throttle that came with the hub motor kit. That makes me think the controllers are looking for the same input from the throttle.

• Sebz
      Sebz commented
      Editing a comment
      They are mostly if not all a "hall sensor type" throttle reading from 1V to around 4.2V.. The main difference is the connector and the way each companies wired them.

Summarizing:

New battery won't charge.

New BBSHD Kit with:

TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic GA 18650 24ah Pack HIGH POWER + LONG RANGE52-TRI-24-GA
    300 Watt Advanced Charger

When I plugged in the charger for the first time, it showed 58.8V, green LED is on, no fan activity. I doubt the battery was shipped fully charged. The little voltmeter shipped with the battery shows something like 48V with the charger unplugged and 58.8V with the charger plugged in. The DPC-18 shows 60% battery.

I've tried various sequences of powering the charger and connecting to the battery, waiting 30 seconds each time, and leaving connected for several hours. Also various Amp and % rates on charger. Same result.

Lightbulb test method, using 53 watt bulb, pulling 0.27 Amps

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Again I would like to ask you to please email support, we have reached the extent of what we can do via simple troubleshooting. Given that the battery is brand new we'll probably set up some sort of exchange.

Hello, I'm looking to purchase the cyclone 3000. It says you are out of stock. Will they be in stock anytime soon?

Comment

Hi Luna,

I'm interested in the Bafang BBSHD: https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-middrive-kit/

- Currently, it's on sale for $679.00, how long is the sale going on for?
    - I'm planning on installing it on a Yeti SB6c 2015, do you have a record of any customer installing on that bike?
    - Most likely, the battery will be mounted under the downtube, do you guys have brackets for that?
    - On your website, you mention that a smaller selection of chainring for the BBSHD is available, but I don't see the selection (other than the 46T Chainring)
    - If in an unfortunate case, and I can't mount the BBSHD for some reason, can I return it?
    - My bike 's(Yeti SB6c) bottom bracket is a PF92, is it compatible?

Thanks,
    Last edited by icestix; 07-09-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are sitting on the bike, the flange of the pressfit adapter will be on your left.
      No the kit does not with either bsb adapter those are sold separately. Most people do not need them, but most people are not using pressfit adapters either.
      Here is an example https://lunacycle.com/bsb-1-stabiliz...s02-and-bbshd/ there is also a version for full suspension with some significant design differences, that's the bsbf-1.

Yes the chart was made a long time ago. I went ahead and updated it.

• icestix
      icestix commented
      Editing a comment
      I just checked the bike's frame, and I noticed these notches at the bottom of the BB (https://media.alltricks.com/hd/56ea8153ca7ab.jpg). I'll have to get the measurements to see the gap between the notches, but does it means that I can't mount the BBSHD?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be more concerned with the chainstay than the extra bits on the bb shell. Those bits can be cut off with an angle grinder easily, but not much can be done about an intrusive chainstay.

TBH might be easier to just buy a random used hardtail MTB off Craigslist and start with that. Not saying this is impossible but it is certainly more involved. Might even mean getting a 120mm and multiple spacer kits so the secondary reduction housing is not touching the chainstay

hey Luna i was just wondering because i don't see an indicator for the cutoff brakes on DCP-18 display is there an option i can turn on to be able to see when the motor cuts off? The reason I ask is because i'm going hydraulic and it would be helpful to see the indicator on the display itself so i can epoxy the cut-off switch to the brake levers. I know it's a small thing but was wondering if the DCP-18 has that option.
    Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You should see an indicator. It'll say (!) when you have activated the ebrakes.

• intramorph
      intramorph commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah it doesn't for some reson...

I bought a solid state switch from Lunacycle (https://lunacycle.com/remote-on-off-solid-state-switch/) that worked perfectly for a long time. Then I swapped out my battery pack (same voltage, new cells) and rewired everything with no shorts or anything. Now the LED on my power switch won't light up, but the switch still works for switching on/off. Did the 12v on the Lunacycle switch somehow break?

Comment

• sofu
      sofu commented
      Editing a comment
      I've submitted a warranty claim with Lunacycle and they're sending me a new switch. We'll see if the new one runs 12V I suppose

• Tommycat
      Tommycat commented
      Editing a comment
      Way to go LUNA! If you'd be kind and let us know how this turns out. Perhaps open a thread in troubleshooting (easier to find...) with the voltage you end up with and used... Thanks.

• sofu
      sofu commented
      Editing a comment
      So quick update on this, I got the replacement eswitch from Lunacycle. Installed it with a new power button which they also provided, and measured the voltage across the LED line. 2.4V. So it seems that these switches will fail open if they do fail, and destroy your LED in the process...

Would shutting off the hub motor at red lights and on again after i get going add extra heat to my already streesed out cheaper hub motor?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It would not increase or reduce heat compared to having the system on. The hub is only receiving power when you hit throttle (or us PAS as the case may be)

• commuter ebikes
      Editing a comment
      Not only would this fail to cool the motor faster, doing this is a hazard because you would not have the power on tap to make a quick escape from a dangerous situation.

Ferrofluid would be a very economical solution that would make a huge difference https://lunacycle.com/luna-ferroflui...-coolant-10ml/.

• Weht
      Weht commented
      Editing a comment
      My motor shutting off has been a problem today it happened after only 2 blocks, the motor was not hot tho just the controler, could that be a cause of a over heating problem? Yes yes it will, especially when it is starting to melt the motor wires. The next morning my motor is still giving troubles i wonder if I'm jist pushing the weight limit too much. Perhaps i should buy American made motors
      Last edited by Weht; 07-12-2018, 07:49 AM.

Hi -- order #56303.

Quick question is to confirm that I do need the custom tool to install the BBSHD?

Then, as more of a suggestion -- it is quite confusing when items simply appear and disappear from your website, rather than being listed as "temporarily out of stock". I first looked at your site quite a few weeks ago, checking out the BBS02, and saw the option to add the custom tool. A week or so later, I checked out the BBS HD, and saw no option for a tool. I figured this meant the HD didn't need a tool. I suppose I should have become suspicious when the 73mm HD simply disappeared from the HD page, but in the several weeks that I waited for it to come back, I still never saw a tool option.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the install Tool is required to tighten the locknuts into the bottom bracket.

• intramorph
      intramorph commented
      Editing a comment
      unless you have a wrench that can tighten the locknut of the bbshd you will want to use the tool... if you don't know what it is you definitelly need it...

• Joe Remi
      Joe Remi commented
      Editing a comment
      ...and I'll add that the $20 tool will do if you insist, but you really should buy the torque wrench with sockets. My first BBS02 install with the hand wrench loosened several times, so I said forget that jazz on my first BBSHD and spent the money. The torque handle has the values for locknut and cover etched in, and the sockets are gorgeous. Don't even think about faking it, spend the money!

How do I slow down the motor?

I've mated a BBS02 750w to Haul-a-Day Bike Friday cargo bike which has 20" wheels. I have the single 48T sprocket chainring and the Luna DPC-10 display and a 52V Shark 13.5a battery. My problem is that the motor turns to fast at pedal assist level 1 on flat straightaways. I would like the motor to assist less. I have gone into the settings and adjusted the wheel diameter all the way down to 16", which reduced the assist slightly...but it is still too fast. Is there a way I can detune, or slowdown the motor at pedal assist level 1? I do have a programming cable, however I have not attempted to use it yet, as I'm not sure what I would adjust. Any advice is much appreciated. - Anthony

Comment

Working...
X