Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I bought a bike with a Luna BBSHD from someone and the bike drives fine cept a few concerns. I run a 52v battery have the Luna Full Color Display DPC-18 also on it. I have the programming software and cable and run the BBSHD52vLimitless flash. Its on a Trek Marlin 5.

Problem/concern
    #1 I get an error code 04 on the display I read disconnect the throttle and see if it goes away. It doesn't I have even power cycled the bike removed battery etc the code will not go away but throttle seems to work fine and pedal assist.... No pins are broken on the harness either.
    #2 Top speed seems to be about 30 mph on a flat surface 29er bike and yes the display is set to 29er rim seems low for a 52V battery and the limitless flash (appx 1600 watts)
    #3 The bike makes a clicking noise/slight resistance (not much but alittle) when backing the bike up from the motor area not loud not hard to back up or anything but it seems odd?

I am a DIY guy and know how to use a voltmeter and have built all my other Hub motor bikes my own battery packs modifications to controllers aka shunt mods etc.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have error 4 even with the throttle completely disconnected I would suspect an issue with the harness, or maybe the controller. If the issue goes away when you remove the throttle I would try replacing the throttle.

Try checking the speed on a gps app on your phone. Assuming you have confirmation, check that you have a fully charged battery, maybe try another profile in controller. Also keep in mind if you are running an aftermarket chainring like a 30T this will have a huge impact on top speed as it will be optimized for torque over top speed.

All BBSxx motor have resistance backing up the bike. You are moving multiple gears in the opposite direction it is primarily designed to go. It will do it, but it's not going to be happy about it.

• Mightbaal
      Mightbaal commented
      Editing a comment
      The error code is in the DPC-18 (I think) information panel it does say at the top Error memory... I have changed the flash to the BBSHD 52V Limitless flash. The code is there weather the thottle is plugged in or not but the throttle seems to still work fine. I think it's the luna full twist. Also the sprocket I think is a 42 or 46 tooth. The seller gave me an unused 46 tooth and the extra stuff when I bought the bike.
      Last edited by Mightbaal; 1 week ago.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      If Error Code 04 shows up with the throttle unplugged, then it sounds like it may be an issue with the main harness. I'd recommend to try replacing that first.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 5 days ago.

I ran into some shut down issues with my 13.5 AmpH, 52V "Shark" battery last night. It stayed on as I attempted to pedal to work and then abruptly shut off and wouldn't come back on. I tried getting the LEDs near the bottom to turn on to get a power reading there, and nothing.
    I then tried hooking up the actual, power meter to it and it didn't register anything either.
    I suspect some cells might've gone bad and the BMS might've been cooked as well. Is it possible to send the battery back for a repair? Let me know.
    Attached Files

Comment

• bentstrider83
      bentstrider83 commented
      Editing a comment
      All in all, I'm now thinking of just muscling up and going non-electric again. My 24.5 AmpH is still working just fine. But now I'm too paranoid to rely on that one for fear of the cells bonking out on that one too. Two years on the electric thing was good. But now I think I'm finally seeing the hard-side to all of this.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair enough. If you change your mind you may want to check out the Wolf, which was not an option when you bought the shark two years ago. Since it is potted it can not get water damaged as what most likely happened to the shark. Only way for a cell to get corroded from leaking would be if it was physically damaged some way, whether through physical impact, overcharging the cell, or whatever else might cause the cell to partially vent.

• bentstrider83
      bentstrider83 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking at the Wolf. Might have to wait for awhile instead of taking my credit card into the red. I'll take your word for it seeing as the Shark I have now has fallen off the bike a couple of times and has been exposed to the abnormal amount of rain that NM has been seeing. The dryness of SoCal would be so welcome at this point. This Seattle weather that NM has been getting for the past, few years could go kick rocks.

On a new BBS02 kit from ya'll...............Cannot enter the display programing. I have tried 200 times and just cannot get into setup. I have a program cable, and have set everything where I want it, but cannot
    set the top speed any higher than 24 MPH with the cable. Selecting BY DISPLAYS COMMAND allows this,,,,,,,,,,,but since I cannot enter the setup screen, I am stuck at 40 KPH , the top speed with the program cable. I KNOW to enter setup it is 1 second hold of up/down buttons. Like I said above, I have tried for an hour to enter it, will not allow me to. I can get the lights on, or to the stupid walking mode, so I know the buttons work. About to pull my hair out....................Can you help????

Thanks in advance........BTW...My kit came with a bad main harness................emailed you, got my replacement in 4 days, which works BTW! WHY I will continue to buy exclusively from Luna.

Sure hope you can help me with this issue....................:)

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as I know, you're not going to be able to pass 40km/h with programming since that is the maximum top speed of the BBS02 and is based off the voltage of the battery. You can only go past 40km/h by upsizing your chainring but you may risk overstressing the motor and putting too much heat into it.

Also, which display are you using with the kit? We have a programming guide here for learning how to program: You don't use the display to access the settings. You need a PC or Laptop.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      What display are you using?

The front gear rubs the rear chainstay I believe some spacers I will order will solve this. However once set it is clear that only the greyhound rear gear will align and the granny gear will be badly cross connected; this is on a 2015 stumper Specialized 29 inch. Suggestions?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Luna Cycle,

I'm planning to get the BBSHD kit and here's the list:

Choose Your Programming Level: 750w Street Legal
    Bottom Bracket Size: 68mm-73mm (Standard)
    Chain Ring: Stock 46T Steel Chain Ring
    Display Options: Luna 500c Mini Full Color Dipslay $40.00
    Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle
    Make it a kit by adding a top grade battery: 52v Luna Wolf Samsung 30q 12ah $599.95
    Add a Smart Charger for your Battery (not included): 52V Advanced Luna 300W Ebike Charger $79.95
    Add a Gear Sensor: GearSensor for Derailers and Internal Geared Hubs $45.00
    Add a Luna Designed Chainring: Luna Aluminum Chain Ring Adapter With 42T Sprocket $40.00
    Add Custom Machined Install Tool: Luna Wrench $19.00

- I wanted the 42T Luna Eclipse Chainring, so I selected the "Luna Designed Chainring", is that the same thing as Luna Eclipse chainring that everyone talks about?
    - I added the Smart Charger, I'm located in USA and just want to confirm that it's not the 220v version right?

Thanks,

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is the 110v version, you're fine.
      No that is not the eclipse it is a lower cost chainring with less offset. It does have narrow/wide tooth profile but not the same. If you want the eclipse it is the option below that, where it says
      Add A Custom Luna Eclipse Face (Face Only) ,
      then the option below that for the sprocket portion
      Add a Luna Eclipse Sprocket (Sprocket Only)

Currently only 48t sprocket is in stock though.

• icestix
      icestix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply!

If the 42t isn't in stock, I would like to go with the Luna Mighty Mini 30T Chain Ring. What should I select for my options? Those 2?

- Add a Luna Mighty Mini 30T Chain Ring
      - Add A Custom Luna Eclipse Face (Face Only)

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You would only need the mini. The eclipse face won't do you any good without the eclipse sorocket

THANKS GENTLEMEN!!!!

Got an 02 kit with bad harness...........broken throttle wire in it somewhere.................emailed here, directed to support, given case #. 5 days later I have a new harness, and THROTTLE......:) !!!

Just wanted to say THANKS for the REAL support and prompt dealings with my issue!!!! I will continue to buy here(4 HD's and 1 02 and 3 batt's so far) and wanted LUNA and Eric and Ash to KNOW it means A LOT when I get treated fairly AFTER my purchase!!!

Comment

Am I able to buy the Ludacris controller for my BBSHD I purchased from you guys?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe they're only sold with pre-built bikes at this time and not on their own. Sorry :(

Hi - When might you have new Super Scooters and Apocalypse scooters in stock?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Not likely anytime soon. I believe the word is that the company that was making them for us couldn't sustain part availability for warranties and we've since had to abandon the scooter project. However who knows? We still love scooters here so it may happen again but possibly not for a long time,

I have a mid-drive BBSHD unit with a gear sensor and I'm concerned that the sensor might not be working. There's some documentation that says you'll know the gear sensor is working when you see a blue light. Where is the blue light supposed to be?? Also, when I shift gears there's sometimes a 'klunking' noise and feeling, which makes me wonder if it's working properly. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Depending on the model it will flash when shifting, yes. Some flash on, some are already on and flash off. Maybe there's even a version that does not flash at all. In any case if there is a light it's on the sensor housing. You should be able to tell when the sensor is cutting, it's a fraction of a second but still long enough to tell power is cutting even if testing on a stand. That's not to say you may not still have problems shifting, especially if you have not tuned your derailer recently, or you have a jacked up chain, or debris on the chainring, or a chipped chainring, or a bad chainline, or a crappy derailer, and so on.

i turned on my bike and my 500c is not displaying anything at all. its just a lighted screen no graphics. it still vibrates and the pas still works just no screen. what do i do? thx

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Did it arrive in this condition or did it just start acting this way recently after a ride?

been using it for a week, arrived to me last week. it just started. i just turned it on and stayed blank

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        'Suppose you don't remember what was happening on your ride that may have caused this? Were you riding in the rain? Was anything ever pressed against the display hard? Was the bike ever stored upside down?

it was woking perfectly on my ride home from work and hour before. never had any issues before hand at all.

Comment

supposed you could have just said email support from the get go. and i did answer your question. your basically asking me if it was my fault that it is not working correctly, which it is not, that answers your questions!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, If it didn't arrive in that condition and worked for a bit, there could be a chance something happened during your ride that you might not have been aware of, however I'm not saying that's what happened but that's why I was asking those questions. This thread is for technical troubleshooting. Nobody here is going to jump to "it's defective and not your fault" without a few questions first. It just helps to know this stuff so it doesn't end up happening again.

But none the less, just email support and they'll set you up with a display replacement. Should be fine.
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 5 days ago.

Hi! Can someone link me to torque specs for the BBS02? Yes I know I don't *really* need them, but for giggles this build I decided to try to track them all down.

Mounting the chainring to the motor, tightening the bottom bracket lock nut and m5 bolts, cranks, etc.

Before linking me to a resource would you please verify that they are actually in there?

thank you!
      Intro, Belt Driven Build

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        They're in the manual on the bbsxx document master repository. See the knowledge base

Just got my kit. Some printed instructions would save a lot of time. Unsure what to do to wire this mini battery to my hd motor. Am I to make my own adapter with the wires supplied?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        The Mighty Mini comes with built in XT90 connectors (The yellow one) but the BBSHD comes default with Anderson Powerpole connectors.(Red/Black one) So you'll have to swap the BBSHD's Anderson Powerpoles out for the XT90 Pigtail connector you have there or make an adaptor out of both cables for an XT90 to Anderson connector but that would be pretty pointless. Easier to just replace the Andersons off the BBSHD since they are junk anyways.
    Working...
    X