Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have installed my BBSHD on my Gazelle city bike but the cable leading from the motor to the handlebar mounted display is a touch too short for that perfect fit. I have found a "harness extension cable" on your website that appears to be the solution. Is the correct cable for my problem?

By the way the BBSHD is absolutely wonderful... .

Stephen

Comment

Are the brake levers that ship with BBSHD kits short or long pull, or changeable

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      They are long pull. They are also optional btw, you can keep your stock levers if you prefer.

Tried posting elsewhere but got no replies. Help! Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly:

1) To minimize my chain offset, I want to get the drive side of the BBHSD as close to the bike as possible and avoid using spacers. With one spacer in place, the outer edge of the motor casing touches the chain stay bar (just barely). Instead of adding a second spacer (and thus exacerbating my offset issue) I was thinking I could file away about 1 mm off the very edge of the BBHSD housing so it no longer touches the chain stay. Can someone confirm the housing is thick enough that I can do this safely?

2) The 10 ga red wire emerging from the BBHSD controller has what seems to be a fuse on it in the middle of the wire (its partner black wire does not). The fuse is making it impossible for me to neatly route the battery wires around the round BBHSD motor. I assume I can't bend the fuse so it fits more neatly around the BBHSD. I assume I shouldn't cut it out and relocate so it is farther up the wire along the downtube (would mean a few new connections in the wire--bad idea, I think). Any suggestions as to what I can do place my wires neatly with that bulky fuse?

3) I'm waiting on a Killer Whale battery (out of stock right now). Anyone know how long Luna usually takes to restock batteries? And will I be provided with the adapter I need to charge from my 300W advanced charger's XT60?
    Last edited by jstew; 1 week ago.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think anyone would be able to tell you if a motor casing with 1mm removed would fail over time. It is decently thick, 3-4mm? Maybe it's fine. I would probably be more likely to file the chainstay than the motor casing if it came to that, though not sure I would recommend either when you can get a decent donor bike that would fit it just fine for not much money, especially with it being winter there's some good deals to be had on used bikes on craigslist.

You can move the fuse wherever you like or even remove it completely if you want, it's your kit and it's a diy project..

I would not wait on the killer whale. It will likely be a very long time before restock. If you buy a battery with a charger on the option (or both as options on a kit) an adapter will be included. Otherwise if purchasing separately check the connector section.

• jstew
      jstew commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reply. I would be happy to get rid of the fuse as you suggest. What are the possible drawbacks of doing so? I don't see fuses talked about anywhere. Is it common not to have one?

Disappointed to hear killer whale not coming soon. Any options you suggest for a 48v, 17ah+ battery in a hard case? I need range for my commute.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      It's up to you, I mean the BMS's job is to protect the battery so a fuse isn't 100% necessary

Not sure if there are any current hardcase 17ah options right now though, probably will have to go with a soft pack if you want that kind of range

Good afternoon,

I got an error 8 on my bbso2. I read on the forums to disconnect and reconnect the controller to start. I did this and the motor worked again for about 10 minutes or so. After it failed the second time, I tried reconnecting the controller again, however now I cannot get the motor to come back on. I have done everything I can to make sure there is a reliable connection at all points. I was wondering if it could be something besides the connections. Could the wires in the connection clip come loose? I have owned the motor since May, and have already had to replace the controller once a couple months ago. Are these motors always this problematic?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of reliability in having a mid drive comes from learning how they work and how to use it. I can not say if that played a factor in the premature demise of your motor, but it is a common reason. For example following recommended guidelines on not lugging the motor, not overheating the motor, and following waterproofing guidelines if used around water and especially any saltwater, like salted roads during winter.

• Jcps92
      Jcps92 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay. But can I fix it?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Well sure, the entire system is modular so as long as you know what needs replacing you can fix it.

Really depends what you mean by "come back on". If you are saying the display is not even coming on then it's probably not the core and can be addressed by following this guide to figure out what needs replacing. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bbshd-or-bbs02

Newbie here. Buying a bike as a gift. Looking at the Luna 650 Lone Wolf hard tail with BBSHD and optional gear sensor. I'm assuming that this bike is pedal assist, correct? Also what type of throttle comes stock? Thanks.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they all have PAS except the Sur-Rons. It comes with the Universal Thumb Throttle by default since it fits the best with most handlebars.

Hey guys. Just got a bbs02 from lunacycle, almost done with install but when the motor runs there is a loud grinding noise. Never had that issue with bbshd. To show you guys I uploaded this 9 sec video, what could be the issue? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/89eUxzTIF54

Comment

My Surron fell to the ground with right break face down, the lever was broken, and throttle is not responding seems because of this. The picture shown from the break replacement looks like left side only:
    https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-replacement-ebrakes/
    Also, wonder if I could just replace the lever itself? Replacing the whole set is too expensive and looks like it's just a lever.

Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Check knowledge base on how to disconnect the ebrake so throttle works. We don't have a lever by itself but maybe you can rig up something from elsewhere, depending on how handy you are.

• Paulnet
      Paulnet commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, if I were not able to find one, do you have right break replacement for sale?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It is my understanding that only the full replacement set is being offered at this time.

Hi there.
    I am wanting to use the Bafang Ultra for a 3D printed frame that I have designed.
    Are you able to supply a CAD drawing or a CAD file of the actual motor itself????
    Thanks
    BN

Last edited by BN1234; 1 week ago.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry we do not have that at this time. It's on our to-do list but will probably be a long time before it is available.

Hello all!

I recently hit 1700km on my BBSHD and thought that is was time to apply some Mobil 28 grease to get it ready for winter.
    I eagerly cracked open the secondary recution gear and removed some of the old grease and applied the Mobil 28 on all of the gears.

When i put the motor back together i got a weird grinding noise. you can see it on the video below.

https://youtu.be/uirboNMKNko
    (yes, i know that the motor is on the wrong way. just for capturing the noise.)

I cannot seem to see that the pinion gear, nor the big reduction gear has any damages. The clutch is also good.

For reference the motor did not have any bad sounds before.

This is what i found during disassembly: Please note that i have removed the existing grease from the drives.

1. Nylon Gear
    I noticed that the nylon gear had some black axle grease on it in addition to the lithium grease. I do not see any worrying sign of peanutbutter-gear-syndrome. Does the profile look good compared to a new one? I also checked the one way bearing using the pinion gear, and it seems to work well!
    Nylon gear with black grease: Nylon gear tooth profile: Nylon gear from side:

2. Pinion Gear
    This seems also to be fine?

3. Internals
    All the bearings seems to run smooth, even checked the one under the rotor. The only plavce where i can feel a tiny lag is on the bearing where the rotor connects behind the nylon gear
    This is not much, and i belive that this should not cause any noice. But how knows? Can i be that the rotor is not seated correctly on this bearing?

4. Rotor
    Here are som pictures of the helix hear from the rotor. Does not seem to have any damages. the scrapes you can see on the picture is ony cosmetic.

5. Reduction gear
    Nothing looks to be wrong here either. bearings running smooth and all.

5. Axle.
    Can it be any problems with the small bearings? The split ones?

Can anyone help me with diagnosing the problem? The weird thing is that the sound was not there before i added the grease.
    Really appreciate any answers.

I am using the BBSHD wit the eclipce chain ring from Luna and a 52V 13.5Ah battery from EM3ev.

Drittjippi

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't see any pictures but have you tried using it under a load with the chain on it? It sounds pretty normal actually for not having a chain or any load under it.

Hi there, what is the total weight of the kit. (the cyclone mid drive 3kw planetary kit @$349)

Also roughly what is the cubic?

I am looking at getting a friend to bring it in his bag to make shipping cheaper.

Regards, Nicholas Lealand

Comment

• nicholas Lealand
      nicholas Lealand commented
      Editing a comment
      bump bump bump

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It's roughly 16lbs, in a box roughly 16x16x10". This all may vary a bit depending on options selected and what packaging we have on hand so don't quote me on that, but that's basically it.

I just purchased the Fusion Fat Ebike KHS 3000 with Ludicrous option. A few questions that I’ve been unable to find answers to:
    1. What is the lowest amount of assist wattage? Lowest I ever see on the controller is about 250W in PAS 1 which I assume means about 500W in reality since I believe I should double the readings due to having the ludicrous option. Is there any way to get lower assist to extend range? I’ve experimented with various gear and terrain combos but 250W displayed (500W in reality?) seems to be lowest.
    2. Range: I got 50km with about 95% of that riding at PAS1. I’m reluctant to use higher PAS if range will be even shorter. I know it’s a fat bike with more rolling resistance and weight but that seems a bit short. Thoughts?
    3. How to get the display to dim at night? I ride a lot after dark in the winter. It came with a 750C display. What about changing to imperial?
    4. Is there any way to easily remove the battery so that it can be brought indoors for charging? Does not appear so. Living in Colorado and using this bike for winter riding means that the garage where the bike is stored is below freezing a good portion of the time so I cannot charge the bike in the garage. Any recommendations? Heated blanket?
    5. My order did not come with the Luna toolkit. It was missing from the shipment. I’m actually not all that interested in it as I have lots of bike tools already. I likely could use a programming cable.
    6. Some other feedback: KHS3000 uses a 30.4 seat post which is impossible to find a dropper post. You have to get a 27.2 dropper and shim it which isn’t ideal. Offering a different frame with a more standard 30.9 seat tube would be better.

Overall, a bunch of fun!
    Matt

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You can change power levels by reprogramming it if you want. See this link https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives
      That range sounds about right for 12ah on a fatbike in winter. There are things you can do to extend that, even add another pack if you want, the system is modular.
      For 750c documentation see here https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-documentation
      You could add a removable battery if you want, like a Wolf pack, onto the underside..but the Fusion packs aren't really meant to be quickly removable, though you can remove it if you want.
      The luna toolkits are backordered and will be shipped separately once we get them in, sorry about that. We'll email you tracking once we have it but it's probably going to be at least a few weeks.
      Thank you for the feedback.

What's the wire gauge of the Luna charger leads?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      12gwg isn't it? Either 12 or 14 works though.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like 14, though I guess it may be 16. Measuring positive with calipers I'm seeing 2.43mm with the plastic still on.

Hi Team, I have a new SurRon X, had it out last night for some trail use. It was running perfectly, then I rode through a puddle at speed, and the motor/throttle response immediately stopped. All the other electrical functions seem fine: lights, battery monitor, etc. There is just no response from the throttle. Is there a fuse or interconnect of some sort that pops if it gets wet? The puddle was only about 6" deep, it certainly want submerged in any way, just sprayed by the tires. Any suggestions?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I would imagine that the water had nothing to do with it unless it was saltwater. More likely that puddle happened to be what jostled the ebrake out of position. We have seen this happen several times before, even just from casually. Some people disable ebrakes completely rather than fiddle around with it (though that is not something I can recommend for obvious reasons)

Anyway, first thing you want to do whenever this sort of thing happens is disable/remove any accessories such as ebrakes. I believe you can even unplug the kickstand sensor if you want to give it a shot.

• Senor_Martillo
      Senor_Martillo commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, Its not the ebrakes sensor. I pulled those both out according to the directions given here. Is there an instruction on where to unhook the kickstand sensor? Or maybe a way to test if its sending or stuck in the cut-off position?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm... ok please email support@lunacycle.com as it sounds like we are going to need to do a bit more comprehensive troubleshooting than possible with quick answers on a forum thread.

What size spokes fit my LUNA WOLF ALITE PLUS ELECTRIC BIKE?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The wheels are stock alite plus, I don't know specific length sorry. If a spoke is broken you may want to take the wheel to your local bike shop to get rebuilt.

Hi All,

Luna KHS 1000 in the Lime / Black base. Just suddenly will not boot/start.

Battery shows as charged by the Luna mini Charger, and very occasionally i might get the Luna logo flash up on LCD screen before it cuts out dead, but mostly just no response.

I've also noticed the tiny green LED on the gear sensor indicator near the battery flicker occasionally when i try and start her, but again mostly dead.

Any ideas on first trouble shooting steps? e.g. voltages at plugs etc.?

Thanks

Dom

Comment

Working...
X