Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having a problem with my Alite 500 plus that I just purchases:

MY problem is perfectly described by another customer:

Been enjoying my bike (KHS SixFifty 680+, 50A controller) for about a month, but wanted to report something that happened from day one but has been happening with greater and greater frequency until making my bike almost unusable.

Under load, my bike makes a really harsh loud 'click' sound. This happens particularly as I'm going faster on high gears. When it happens, the pedals suddenly 'miss' and if I'm forcing down on them I sometimes nearly lose my feet off the pedals.

I at first thought it was my fault and I should expect that the cassette shouldn't be able to keep up with the torque (because I thought it was the chain slipping). I reduced how much I throttled, and it happened less. But now it happens regularly just on holding the throttle down at constant speed, not during acceleration, and it's making the ride really unpleasant.

I looked carefully at the cassette and it appears to be fine. Also, when I pedal like a mofo I can't make it happen (and not to brag, but for data's sake, I'm pretty ****ing strong) so I don't think it's the chain slipping any more. Tried googling chainline, cassette issues etc. and I'm pretty sure it's not that... also don't think it's clutch as it isn't the whole motor that's stuck (when I read about clutch issues, it seems like the entire motor/pedal unit is immobilized).

Today I forced myself to look DOWN as I went forwards and held open the throttle and I could see the pedals moving violently. I think it's a problem with the motor.

What should I do? I'm pretty miserable at this point.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      Not the worst idea to take it to the LBS. A hands on diagnosis might be advantageous in this case. About 50% of the bike shops in my area will work on ebike electronics. Even if they don't, you can have some LBS verify that the drivetrain is not the problem.

If you can isolate the problem to the motor, that would be a step forward. If we knew that the motor was the issue, there would only be a small number of potential issues to consider.

What kind of motor do you have?
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 12-09-2018, 06:13 PM.

• 2speedBBS02
      2speedBBS02 commented
      Editing a comment
      First, a diagram of motor. As example the BBS02 that I own has a nylon gear driving the output. Yep nylon. My mind sees missing teeth. Under load should be dramatic. In LOW ratios pedaling fast would possibly not be observed.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you given it a tuneup? Does it shift smoothly between gears? Is this only happening in higher gears, or any gear?

Does it do this when hitting throttle on a stand?

Hey guys! First post... I've gotta rebuild my front hub crystalite powered wheel. What's the best bang for the buck rim to start with? I was hoping luna would restock the dm24. Should I stick with 26" in size or move up or down?

This is going on a i3 regular not baloon tire electra townie. I'd like to run a 2.25 - 2.5" tire.
    Last edited by jkj; 12-09-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkj View Post
      Hey guys! First post... I've gotta rebuild my front hub crystalite powered wheel. What's the best bang for the buck rim to start with? I was hoping luna would restock the dm24. Should I stick with 26" in size or move up or down?

This is going on a i3 regular not baloon tire electra townie. I'd like to run a 2.25 - 2.5" tire.
      I usually prefer Surly rims, but Surly has no love for 36h anymore. For 36h, I have been using Origin8 rims.

Comment

I need help I bought a 48v 1800w brushless motor (see attachment for specifications). I also bought separately a throttle and controller off eBay. I hooked all up and nothing happened. Knowing all the items came from China so I started looking at wire and figured out the connection to the throttle we're backwards. So I thought I blew the controller I ordered another one hooked up but this time making sure all wires were color coded cirrectly. Hooked up power and nothing again so after doing some research found out throttle hall sensor might be bad after 1st time I hooked everything up. I ordered a new throttle and hooked all up.... Nothing. I'm getting a little discouraged but I also do realize all this is from China. The other day I was browsing lunacycle.com and saw some controller's that look like they would work but I'm not sure if they would. Like this one 40 AMP 48-72V EBIKE CONTROLLER. One of the reasons I choose this one is I can connect to the controller and test to see what's going on. Please help thank you

Happy holidays everyone!! Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181206-191436_eBay.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	79534

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          At a minimum you would need to cut off the connectors and match the halls wiring. Not impossible, but definitely not plug and play and would not work with your existing peripherals if you have any (display, etc)

I ordered the BBS02 kit and was ready to start assembly. When I pulled the bottom bracket what I found are two separate bearing rings. Nothing like the pictured bottom brackets I see in the pictures.. Without instructions in the kit, I am at a loss as to what I need.

Comment

• 2speedBBS02
          2speedBBS02 commented
          Editing a comment
          just built my BBS02 kit. The kit is independent of the bottom bracket you removed. If that is what you mean. Remove the existing BB and place elsewhere. Stuff in BBS02.
          Only thing you need is a rubber hammer to drive the device into the receiver (BB) tube.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          @djgleason please take a pic of what you are seeing.
          Generally you want to remove anything from the BB shell. Like shown here: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ter-repository

Also, I would not recommend hammering anything. If the motor is having trouble going in, you either want to twist it in (this is remarkably effective) or remove some material from the inside of the BB shell with a dremel.

• 2speedBBS02
          2speedBBS02 commented
          Editing a comment
          yea don't hit it hard. Grease and a little twisting is very good. I am not very patient and tend to use to much force. Good sound advice if you are not used to tools

Originally posted by Cmy67chevy View Post
        I need help I bought a 48v 1800w brushless motor (see attachment for specifications). I also bought separately a throttle and controller off eBay. I hooked all up and nothing happened. Knowing all the items came from China so I started looking at wire and figured out the connection to the throttle we're backwards. So I thought I blew the controller I ordered another one hooked up but this time making sure all wires were color coded cirrectly. Hooked up power and nothing again so after doing some research found out throttle hall sensor might be bad after 1st time I hooked everything up. I ordered a new throttle and hooked all up.... Nothing. I'm getting a little discouraged but I also do realize all this is from China. The other day I was browsing lunacycle.com and saw some controller's that look like they would work but I'm not sure if they would. Like this one 40 AMP 48-72V EBIKE CONTROLLER. One of the reasons I choose this one is I can connect to the controller and test to see what's going on. Please help thank you

Happy holidays everyone!! Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20181206-191436_eBay.jpg Views:	1 Size:	380.0 KB ID:	79534

Let’s get a link to the specific Luna controller that you are looking at. Ideally, this thread is for questions pertaining to Luna purchases, so you will have better luck if you tie that in.

If I were you, I would also give more specifications on the motor. A picture of the electrical connectors for your system would be helpful in choosing a controller.

If it were me, even at the point you are, I would buy a complete system from Luna. Mixing and matching things off of eBay might end up being a frustrating experience.
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 12-09-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Tommycat
          Tommycat commented
          Editing a comment
          If you would like to do some troubleshooting with the pieces you have. Please start a new thread in the TROUBLESHOOTING section, with all your components particulars. (makes and models) For some information to see if you damaged your hall sensor throttle... check out this thread.

Regarding the 500c dash/display. When trying to set 52volts I am confronted with a "user defined" option. So...No way to access the programming of this device? Found something called UART, is this real or another over hyped appeal to young minds? From what I can observe the device offers "native support" for 52volts. That means the voltage meter works. The graphics are nonsense. Are you not a little embarrassed.

Comment

I hope I'm doing this correctly I'm asking about a 750 display new e-bike used it once couple days ago no issues. second time I turned it on it's asking for a password 1199 does not work. is default password different? why would it suddenly request a password on the second ride? I have another e-bike with Luna kit, built two years ago and never ran into this before. A few days ago I changed display from kilometers per hour to miles per hour using access password 1199. Any help thanks.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Try 1919 if 1199 doesn't work.

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

I usually prefer Surly rims, but Surly has no love for 36h anymore. For 36h, I have been using Origin8 rims.
        Any rim in particular you recommend for a townie?

Comment

#2244 post. Thank you for suggesting 1919 but that doesn't work either this is a password request as soon as you power it up.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            If neither 1199 or 1919 works, email support@lunacycle.com with your order # for reference and possibly a video of both passwords not working.

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Only way for that to come up is to set a password on the display.

If someone has set the password and does not recall what password they set it to, then that would be quite unfortunate as there is no way to reset that password. You would need a new display.

I would recommend to ask anyone else in your household that may have been fiddling with it if they may have set a password, and if they recall what number they set it to.

Thank you problem solved. When I was trying to get into advanced settings apparently I went into the regular password but never entered any digits. So I was able to turn bike on using 0 0 0 0

Comment

Originally posted by boma23 View Post
            Hi All,

Luna KHS 1000 in the Lime / Black base. Just suddenly will not boot/start.

Battery shows as charged by the Luna mini Charger, and very occasionally i might get the Luna logo flash up on LCD screen before it cuts out dead, but mostly just no response.

I've also noticed the tiny green LED on the gear sensor indicator near the battery flicker occasionally when i try and start her, but again mostly dead.

Any ideas on first trouble shooting steps? e.g. voltages at plugs etc.?

Thanks

Dom
            thanks for the link - I'm back onsite where the bike is located on Thursday, so will report back

Comment

Hi, I've been biking in the rain this fall a lot and have been having a lot of trouble with my lcd display/power button for the 1000 watt waterproof connectors kit that I got from luna.https://www.ebikekit.com/collections...nt=28088193158. During a particularly heavy rain bike ride I've had the lcd display completely fail and the kit shut off. I placed the lcd in some rice and luckily it dried out in the morning and is now somewhat functional again. It does take some significant pressure to use the power button but it works. I've been trying to get a replacement for the display in the past half a year or so but have had no luck as apparently the kit has been phased out. Is it possible to purchase another type of lcd display and rewire it into my kit using the 5 pin connector provided? If so what lcd 's are compatible?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
                HIGHVOLTAGE commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, this is not possible without some serious electrical expertise. I'd recommend just contacting ebikekit for a date on when their display will be re-stocked. I can't imagine it will be out of stock forever.

• Boris192
                Boris192 commented
                Editing a comment
                Word. I figured as much. Thank you for the fast reply!

I am looking to build a fat tire ebike strictly for off road, primarily for hunting. The terrain is a little hilly, mostly dirt roads, with some soft and wet areas. I plan to use a mongoose steel frame bike for a base, but need to meet a few requirements for the motor and battery. Round trip would be approximately 5 miles max, twice per day. Maybe a 3 hour layover in between where charging would be possible, then overnight charging. I would prefer little to no pedaling. I plan to occasionally pull a small game trailer behind it at times, with up to 200 lbs on it. Motor needs to be as quiet as possible. I’m currently looking at the hot rod BBSHD. The cyclone is much better priced, but I need quiet. So motor recommendations would be appreciated. Also I may be building the battery myself. Samsung 25r cells, 52v, 20ah. Is this enough? overkill?

one last question concerning the softer ground conditions. Would considering a small hub motor in the front to go along with the mid drive be beneficial to help maintain traction and minimize front wheel dig/slide?

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                ^^ I would agree with all that, with the caveat that if you are really towing 200lbs on a fatbike then you probably will need more than the 6ah mini battery. Voltage sag can be a lot with a big load and last thing we want is for you to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. 20ah 25r is indeed overkill but 6ah GA is on the other extreme of the spectrum. You probably want something in between if you are hauling stuff.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
                HIGHVOLTAGE commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, the Mighty Mini might be a little underpowered, maybe double it up and carry a spare just in-case? Generally anything that is 10ah+ that is a Panasonic GA cell will work fine for your application.

• Trick2681
                Trick2681 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you all for the information. Originally I was designing a battery for the cyclone, until I watched videos and heard how loud it is. I just carried that battery over to this design. Gearing the bike down is something I was definitely going to look into. I do not need anything over 20 mph. The factory made ebikes for this application use 11 ah batteries using Panasonic cells, but not a hot rod motor. Once again, thank you all.

Does Luna have fat tire fendors that will fit a Rad Rover?

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, we do not..
            Working...
            X