Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Luna have fat tire fendors that will fit a Rad Rover?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, we do not..

I plan to put a DD# IGH 3 speed hub on my Hase Pino tandem. I have greatly enjoyed using my two SRAM 3x9 hubs over the last 20 years. If memory serves, they have a neutral setting, a 30% lower gear and a 30% upper gear. Does the SRAM DD# IGH 3 speed function this way? For instance, using a 42 tooth chain ring and 36 tooth cassette ring on a 26 inch bike would give me 42 / 36 x 26 = 30 gear inches. The SRAM hub would give me three different gear combinations from the internal hub: 21 inches, 30 inches, and 39 inches, about, IF it gives 30% higher and 30% lower gearing. Thanks for your help with this.

Paul

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It is my understanding that it has 186% gear range. Middle is neutral that is correct, with the other two being for high and low speed.

As to the rest of the question, not really sure.

I would like to ride my BBSHD bike continuously without having motor failures due to melted parts. What would you say is the max temperature I should run at continuously (say for 20 minutes of riding) in order to have long term reliability?

Comment

• ncrkd
      ncrkd commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's a post on the subject - https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...hd-temp-sensor

Measured where would be one of the questions I'd want to know.

• rider1234
      rider1234 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done a lot of riding with different motors. I've gotten to understanding that temperature limits are really important for keeping motors from burning up. With the cyclone motor, I had reasonable long term reliability (>200 rides) while running at a max temperature of 120 C, typically for 20 minutes at a time. The thermistor was installed just by poking it into the cyclone housing. I kept the temperature stable using the grin cycle analyst.

However, I've just switched back to the BBSHD. I rode it to 120 C for a few minutes yesterday and smelled some "burning electronics" once I stopped. Currently I'm reading out the temperature sensor built-in to the BBSHD.

Does the BBSHD need a lower temperature rating than the cyclone?
      Last edited by rider1234; 12-12-2018, 10:02 AM.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      There really isn't enough room in the Motor Core side to measure the temperature accurately which is where it would need to be measured. Just regularly check it with your hand. You really shouldn't be having overheating problems unless you're riding in the desert on a hot day or something for hours...and even then. If you're having overheating problems outside of those conditions, then you may need to re-adjust the way you're riding the bike and gear down more often. The more strain you put on the motor, the more heat it's gonna produce. Take a break every now and then and let it cool down.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 12-12-2018, 12:16 PM.

I’ve just Finished the building of my BBHSD motor with a 48 V battery. Everything is connected and charged but the motor only engages periodically throttle or pedal assist. Everything installed according to specs including hydraulic brake shut off and gear sensor. What’s going on?

Comment

• ncrkd
      ncrkd commented
      Editing a comment
      Unplug the safety/convenience possibilities first - the gear and brake sensors. Still have the issue?

Then check the main harness 8-pin connector for a folded over / crumpled pin - anything?

Is the voltage indication on the display stable - should dip a few volts on throttle application?

• jstew
      jstew commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I was able to isolate an issue with the right brake sensor. I've adjusted it and it seems resolved.

Hello. The question that I have, is related to the Bafang BBS02 750W 48v Upgraded Controller 3077. Can I configure max amperage more than 25 amps?

Comment

Can the Luna Mighty Mini Display be mounted on the center of the handlebars like the other displays or can it only be mounted off to the side like in the pics on the website. I prefer my display front and center but like the idea of something smaller and less obvious.

Comment

• ncrkd
      ncrkd commented
      Editing a comment
      the Mighty Mini's clamp appears to be optimized for the standard MTB bar grip section, 22.2 mm clamp area if that helps. As in, I doubt you could center it on a MTB bar with an oversized center section (bigger than 25.4mm). It may (barely) fit on drop bars.

The much smaller eggrider display is similar in this respect.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Even if it could be mounted center are you sure you would want to? The selector switch is integrated so you would have to remove your hand from the handlebar every time you adjust the pas setting.

I'm ready to purchase another ebike. I really wanted to buy one from Luna but I want an IGH 3 sp rear hub. Lots of people have built these. I once heard Eric Hicks say he wanted to build an ebike with an IGH. Is there any way you can sbuild or substitute a 3sp IGH on ANY of your ebikes ? My budget is only about $3K, but I can go more for the right ebike.
    Last edited by JohnR58; 12-14-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      That's not a level of customization we can offer at this time, but with the exception of the conversion it's just a normal bike, your local bike shop should be able to put an IGH on any bike bought from Luna.

Which displays are compatible with a Magic Pie 5 ? What extension cable do I need for the Magic pie throttle/ and or display etc to reach the motor on a tandem ?

Comment

Hello,
    I need to buy a key for a 52 volt Carbon Shark battery. Thanks for any guidance.

John

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately this is not possible currently as we don't keep spare keys on hand for these packs but you should be able to hit up a local locksmith to make you one for a small fee

• kerrylaw7307
      kerrylaw7307 commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard a Toyota blank will work, Specifically a Cole T020.

What is the lead time on two 5000W Rhino's? Also, will you ship them to MS?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Rhino bikes are no longer available for sale due to backend production issues unfortunately. Sorry. You can see what we have to offer currently by going to the "Ready to Ship" page on our website. There you'll find a list of bike builds that are currently shipping out

https://lunacycle.com/ready-to-ship/
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM.

Question on trouble shooting a bafang BBS02 500w motor.
    Heard a series of clicking from motor while on my ride, then the PAS stopped working.
    If you turn the bike off and on, the bike starts in PAS 1 (which doesn't work and throttle doesn't work)
    If you select down to PAS 0 and then back to PAS 1-3, the throttle works!
    However as soon as it detects motion on the pedals the pedal assist does not work and the throttle stops working as well until you turn bike off and on again.

Basically , pedal assist doesn't work, and throttle only works if you don't pedal.

Could this be a bad controller ?

Brett

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Currently bafang bbsxx controllers do not allow throttle/pas interoperability i.e. if you pedal while throttling it will cut.

As to the other questions like pas not working at all, have you checked the troubleshooting guide in knowledge base? If so then yes a controller would probably be the next step.

I'm getting an error code 21 what does it mean

Comment

i was looking at the luna black box programmer for my 02. i saw in the youtube video it has the ludicrous program. will it work for my 02? would the programmer be more ideal for hd? can i get a lot out of the programmer with the 02 or would it be better to upgrade to hd first? thx

Comment

• moarpower
      moarpower commented
      Editing a comment
      The Ludicrous program is for use with the Ludicrous controller. Neither are compatible with the BBS02.

I’ve run a hot rodded (25A) BBS02 and was quite pleased with it. I’ve also run a 30A hot rod BBSHD which I would trust to take significantly more abuse and full throttle riding if that is your aim. Ultimately I equipped the HD with a Ludicrous controller. I found that I can’t really take advantage of the extra torque of the Ludi on aggressive hill climbs because the bike prefers to do wheelies instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmsrQ3bzLvs

Is Eric's "reward" still up? Found this:

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-...050wh-battery/

Of course, there's also this:

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-...-2400w-motors/

... though both are way more expensive, and the last, way heavier.

Manufacturer's website:

http://www.dual-tron.com/

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      That was posted all the way back in 2016. Those Scooters are not available anymore unfortunately.

• Roose Hurro
      Roose Hurro commented
      Editing a comment
      Already have one, just wondered if it was still good. Or at least of interest. Given I've found so many similar scoots... heh, at least if my V! burns up, I have alternatives.

Has anyone installed a BBSxx Bafang on a recumbent HP Velotechnik, fs Scorpion with 26" rear wheel. I am considering replacing the front cranks with a 48v, 750watt bafang with 42T cranks? Of course there is other componets to add. The other options is a GoSwiff hub motor recommended by the MFG in Germany.

Comment

Working...
X