Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just purchased a bike with a 500w brushless rear hub motor. (it says 250 as the law here states that 250w is the max for electric bikes) I only paid what I did for the bike because it was 500w.

My wifes 250w motor with me on acts IDENTICAL to mine going up and down hills and on straightaways. I was confused about this until I realized that we both have the SAME 250 watt controller. The bike shop explained to me that the most my bike motor would put out is 250W because of the controller.

My questions; if I replace the controller with a 500w unit, will I be getting the stated power out of my motor?

Edit: Battery is 48v 15.6ah

Thanks in advance.

PS: I just read some of these and they say "Luna" so I'm not sure this post is in the right spot.
    Last edited by JustWannaGoFast; 12-18-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Your controller is what determines the power output to the motor, so unfortunately you won't exceed 250w without a controllee change

• JustWannaGoFast
      JustWannaGoFast commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I figured, thanks for the response.

I just received a new 48v "shark pack". I expected bare wires off the mount. Instead there is a black and red connector I am not familiar with. Can someone tell me the specs of this connector so I can buy a mating connector?
    Thanks
    Robert

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Anderson Powerpole 30 Amp

That's it. You are the man. And timely!
    Regards
    Robert

Comment

Is there another option to cutting off Luna 40 amp controller wires and using let's say Anderson connectors?
      Can I make my own rear drive using Luna parts? Is there another option to construct a dual sprocket.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        The best option would be to use XT90-S, not anderson. This is described in greater detail on the document linked from the battery listing
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-documentation

This is the listing for xt90-s pigtails set
        https://lunacycle.com/batteries/conn...with-pigtails/

Alternately, if you are using a hardcase pack you can cut off the connectors on both the cradle and controller and simply hardwire it. We describe that a bit on the same document. There's not a lot of reasons to have a connector there since the cradle is already basically one big connector from the pack to the the cradle.

If you mean a rear drive hubmotor, it will depend what we have in stock and what your dropout width is. Don't know what you mean by dual sprocket?

I have ordered a Bafang kit. Will the brake cut-switches for the motor work with shimano xt hydraulic brakes? brakes being shipped is BBSXX. My order number is 68653.

Comment

Hi all,
      I just got a Sur Ron X from Luna last week. I have a few questions (sorry, I did my best as a noob to search for answers first):
      1. Bike already covered in adobe mud. Is it okay per manufacturer/supplier to pressure wash this bike? If not, how to wash?
      2. Has anyone installed a brake light? Can this be triggered via the rear brake cutoff switch?
      3. I added a little switch on the cut green/black wire. This bumped my (200#) top speed from 40 kph all the way up to 43 kph. Is this all I should expect?
      4. I have read varying reports about "wheelie popping power" to "detuned X controllers". While I like the bike already for trail riding, I would love way more torque. I plan to switch to the 60 tooth sprocket. What is the TRUTH about the available power/controllers?
      Thanks, Matt

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Pressure washing is probably not the best idea, generally water plus electronics don't mix..this bike has more protection from that sort of thing than anything else on the market but pressure washing seems like it would be pushing your luck. A hose is probably fine though.

Someone is working on a kit with brake lights, I believe it was mentioned on the surron owners Facebook group. Might want to ask on there. How they did it, specifics are light at the moment.

Top speed will depend on how charged you have it, what the temps are outside, what size rear sprocket you are using, whether you selected sport mode and whether the green wire is connected. Same thing with torque. If you got it with the pedal kit the first thing you want to do is get rid of the 25t sprocket and go with any of the larger sprockets.

Thanks for the response paxtana. I forgot to hit the sport mode. With that, it just hit over 60 kph down my street. I am looking forward to more trails!

Comment

I'm considering buying a Bafang Ultra drive and I see that they're out of stock. When do you expect them back in stock ? Do you think you will ever sell a ludicrous version of the Ultra again? Also, I noticed there don't seem to be any replacement parts listed as available for the Ultra, as they are for the BBSHD; would things like a gear or controller be available if I ever needed them ? Thanks, Mike

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Hard to say, yes we are getting more but many are already spoken for, to be used on Apollo.

Probably not with 50A ludi setting. That's a bit high for ultra. Maybe 40a though.

just got bit by the e-bike bug. have a khs mountain bike with 750w bafang mid motor little bit like yours. why doesn't someone design a skid plate for the mid motor preferably carbon fifer. maybe a shield down tube to protect battery your crotch. big fan only 400 miles

Comment

I just tried to hook up the electric connection between my Luna Wolf 52v battery and the BBSHD motor. The black connector only went halfway in. I then disconnected it resulting in the motor side connector breaking. See photo. Any ideas? It's way too small for me to try to solder.

Comment

• pgemmell
            pgemmell commented
            Editing a comment
            On 2nd thought, I may just crimp it and use the XT-90 connector.

OK. I crimped it, Now, I have the battery (58.9v / 100% charged) plugged into the motor and the display & throttle also plugged into the motor. However, the display is dead and the throttle/motor are not working. What next?

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you sure it's a solid connection? Do you see voltage at the connector when testing with a mulimeter?

• pgemmell
            pgemmell commented
            Editing a comment
            I just checked the voltage = 58.3. Then as I connected the XT-90 to the motor again. The XT-90 connection sounded a pop and emitted a puff of smoke. Now, I can't get the XT-90 connection undone by hand (being careful not to pull on the wires). Still no evidence of power to the controller. It's not clear if/why it short-circuited. Update: I did manage to pull the XT-90 connection apart and measured the resistance on the motor side = high. Still don't know what the spark & smoke was about or why the controller doesn't turn on.
            Last edited by pgemmell; 12-22-2018, 07:32 PM.

Hey! I got my BBS02 less than a month ago. Last night, I went out for a quick ride, everything was working normally then suddenly the motor stopped giving power after about 2 minutes. The display is still on, speed sensor light still on, but neither throttle or PAS work. I checked all connections, battery is fully charged, what could the issue be? When pressing down the throttle, sometimes the motor gives power for about half a second, then goes dead again. Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you unplugged ebrakes and gearsensor? Does the display show (!) On it?

Any error code, or rips, tears or smashes on the harness wire?

Also want to check out the phase wire connectors between the controller and motor

• ordnaj3la
            ordnaj3la commented
            Editing a comment
            I dont have ebrakes or gearsensor plugged in, no (!) Sign. All wires look fine. No error codes. Everything seems to be fine except of course, no motor power except for the occasional half second

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Q33n-aI7U

I noticed you are out of grey or black sur-ron x bikes, are you going to get any back in stock or am I out of luck? :(
          thanks for any answers!

Comment

I have the Wolf 52V battery 100% charged. Unfortunately the motor / controller do not appear to be receiving power from it when I have attached the connectors (see previous post). Is there a way for me to partially discharge it safely? My understanding is that it should not be kept in the 100% charged state for more that a couple days. It's now been 3 or 4 days. Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

• pgemmell
            pgemmell commented
            Editing a comment
            www.ebike707.com appears to be somewhere in Sonoma county. Do you know any place near Sacramento?

• pgemmell
            pgemmell commented
            Editing a comment
            Any ideas of how the bike could be mis-wired ? There doesn't seem to be an option discussed in the videos of how one can have 58 volts attached with no apparent power to the controller. The connectors supplied by Luna seem pretty hard to confuse with each other.

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            If the resistor in the xt90 melted then this most likely needs to be replaced before the pack can be used. This video explains the resistor in xt90s for reference and why this could pose a problem if it melts
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pwd...ature=youtu.be

There is an ebike shop in sacramento for reference:

https://www.theelectricbikeshop.org/repair

Your first picture above is good, it shows the xt90 on the battery itself has the proper polarity, and that the BMS is not tripped. That's a good start. The second pic shows the matching xt90 with heatshrink on it so there's not much conclusions that can be drawn from that. The shrink needs removed to do further analysis. But before doing that.............

The controller may also need replaced before this will power on if it has been shorted like that, as stated earlier. You can put it in continuity or resistance mode to see if the

Feel free to email support@lunacycle.com re:Sebastien as this is looking like it needs a little more in-depth assistance than can be provided from quick forum answers.

What's up guys. I posted a few days ago about how everything but the motor seems to be working. I was told to check the phase wires and finally got to it. Everything is connected fine, yet the motor still gives no power. Display is still on. I have a BBSHD as well, so I connected my currently not working BBS02 wires to my bbshd setup, still nothing. Display turns on but no power. I checked all pins, nothing bent, what could be the issue? I'm providing pictures, when opening the controller I noticed there was a lot of white powder, is that normal? Thanks a bunch

Comment

• ordnaj3la
            ordnaj3la commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a BBSHD as well, is it possible to temporarily swap the controller to see if that's the issue? Are they compatible with each other?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            Well you'd have to change the blue bullet connectors on your BBS02 to Anderson Powerpoles to match the BBSHD controller so this wouldn't really be an ideal solution to testing. I'd just return the controller if it doesn't work. Or order both the core & controller and return the one that isn't needed.

• ordnaj3la
            ordnaj3la commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotcha, that's what I'll do then. Appreciate the help!
        Working...
        X