Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK so need some recommendations here. I want to build a Fat E-bike but I REALLY want to use a carbon fiber frame. I am having trouble figuring out what I need to make this happen. I have decided that a mid-drive system is probably best. The Bafang looks like it might work except it looks like it basically clamps on the bottom bracket shell, which on a carbon fiber frame sounds REALLY bad, unless somebody makes some sort of aluminum insert to take up the clamping force. but then is Locktite enough to keep that insert from rotating under load? I have no doubt that there are also other problems I haven't considered yet, but I'll get to those when they happen. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't started buying anything yet, I am still in research mode. But I plan on getting deep into it soon.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a thread for press fit bottom brackets here that you should check out to make sure if the frame will need an adaptor:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...mid-drive-kits

We have a PF41 adaptor here if the bike falls under that requirement.

https://lunacycle.com/pf41-bb-adapte...mm-120mm-73mm/

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      With regards to your specific concern on clamping, it's important to keep in mind the bottom bracket shell itself (which is what is being clamped onto) is not typically made of carbon fiber.

Additionally there are multiple aftermarket alternative brackets that can be used to fix the motor into position instead of the one that comes with the kit by default

• Joe Remi
      Joe Remi commented
      Editing a comment
      The others are correct about the material you're actually clamping to and these projects have certainly been done, but I gotta say I think it's a bad idea. Carbon frames are built for a specific purpose and aren't well known for tolerances outside that window. Jamming a powerful electric motor in one is definitely outside the window, I think steel or aluminum is a better plan.

HI, New to this forum... I am in NY City and recently pedal assist bikes were legalized (no throttle). I am looking to get something that can be used in conjunction with a cargo trailer to make deliveries throughout a 14 hour work day Cargo can be up to 300 pounds and the rider may be say 200 pounds. What would be a good recommendation?

Comment

• moarpower
      moarpower commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d suggest a mid drive to take advantage of your bike’s gearing so it can run efficiently at most any speed.

If you want to keep it strictly legal, a BBSHD can be tuned to no more than 750 watts and 20 mph assist limit as per NY City’s guidelines. If you want more I’d suggest the same motor with a “hot rod” tune pumping 1300 watts and a 30 something mph top speed.

The law itself: https://a856-cityrecord.nyc.gov/Requ...il/20180621102

Edit: I should probably elaborate a little... hub motors are the alternative. They are one speed direct drive units or one speed geared units (with the exception of one Luna two speed geared hub motor..) In general they tend to run very hot and inefficiently at low speed, both draining the battery unnecessarily and potentially shortening their life span if “bogged down” for too long. If all you were going to do is cruise at 25+ mph then they might be right for you.

Mid drives are ideal for low to mid speed situations because they use the bike’s gearing to multiply their torque just like us humans do. A stock BBSHD would be up to the task of hauling cargo, even at 750 watts.
      Last edited by moarpower; 12-26-2018, 03:42 PM. Reason: Questionable advice :)

Would like to put a 36 tooth on my bbhd but need more off set than the 8mm prefer 18 to 20mm is there anything out there

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Anything in a tooth count below 42t is going to be around 8mm offset or less. The sprocket has to be large enough to fit over top of the round portion of the motor casing, i.e. if it cannot wrap around the secondary reduction housing then it must be positioned to the right of that housing, therefore the offset is not what it would be with a larger sprocket that could in theory wrap around that portion of the housing.

Hi Eric, I have been reading up in preparation for building a mid. Is the ludicrous controller I’ve read about the same as your ‘hot rod’ tune or a separate thing. If latter, is it available to purchase with BBSHD kit?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      It is not available with kits at this time unfortunately, the Ludicrous controller is currently only an option for pre-built bikes.

However we did just recently opened it up for sale to anyone for one day only so subscribe to our Social Media and Facebook to watch for sales and deals and it may happen again :)
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM.

Does anyone know what is the diference between eco and sport mode on the spc-18 display (with 5 pas levels) for a bbshd? And can you program different pas settings for eco and sport mode? Thank you!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      It is an non-functional feature, you can just ignore it.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Rohloff, (and just discovered LUNA sells them, they will get my business) my second one, so I am familar with them pretty much. It's a bare frame fatbike/BBSHD build, and the frame (Soma Sandworm) has "Tange/IRD sliding dropouts, standard QR style." It also has a split seatstay, so getting a belt on is no problem.

My question is: is the belt drive worth it? Are they really good in mud and snow? I had a Kawasaki motorcycle years ago that had a belt drive, and a couple times I got it in mud, and the belt cog spaces jammed up....at least on that bike the belt drive was a PITA in mud. Unless you had a screwdriver and times to gouge the mud out of the clogged belt. There seems to be a common consensus that a belt drive is the holy grail, but I'd like to hear from actual users of same, and not just in street riding, it's a fatbike, it's not going on streets!

Since the frame has yet to arrive (I ordered just 5 days ago, so weekend and expected delays over the holidays), I am just eyeballing it and it sure looks like a good candidate for a BBSHD. I do know the belts really require an exact "chain line", belt line....so maybe I should wait until I pull my BBSHD out of the old fatbike (190 mm dropouts, and other features making it a bad or impossible conversion to the Rohloff) and insert it in the new frame and see how things line up. I'm also pulling my 2 year old 17 AH battery pack out of the old bike, and will use it in the new. I am going to convert the old fattie back to a pedal bike, and see if I can pedal it, as in sell it. Along with this question about the suitability of belt drives and mud, what is the lead time in getting a hub? Days, weeks? The model I want, I believe, is for a external shifter, QR axle/disc brake, 32 spoke, and OEM axle plate. Anything else I need to specify to order?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Heck of a question... unfortunately I don't have much in the way of answers..

I do not have personal experience with belt drive on Rohloff / BBSHD, seems like not many folks do and it will probably not be the easiest build, but there's more info out there than there used to be so that's good.. No idea if a belt drive is good in mud but maybe someone else will chime in? I have not seen much in the way of complaints about belt drives with the exception of actually fitting them.

The hubs we have are in stock right now and can probably ship within the typical lead time of a few business days but we only have the one model..not sure about any additional acessories or addons, I don't see anything about an axle plate on our backend. If you want I can check with the shop for you if that's like, a dealbreaker?

In looking at the picture of the model of the hub pictured on the site (they make many different types) it does appear that it is what I want. FAT/170mm, with the external shifter, and what appears to be a QR type axle. So far so good, I just need to make sure it's: for a disc brake setup, (edit:it is, I can see the 4 mount holes), also most likely it's a 32 spoke version. If so, I am ready to buy, I didn't expect they would be in stock, cool. And, I will forget about the entire belt thing for now, as the one pictured shows a chain cog. It probably comes with the OEM axle plate, I believe that is stock, and also what I need. Does Luna have any of the required Rohloff specific brake discs in stock, I can get them anywhere if not.
    Last edited by CPG; 12-28-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I believe it is 32h. These were bought for Apex builds and I count 32 spokes on the Apex product shot. If not, let me know and we'll get you a return label and full refund.

I don't believe we have rotors specifically for rohloff.

OK, I will get a disc elsewhere, they are specific to the Rohloff but not expensive, and readily available.

Now I just have to decide whether to have my LBS build it into a wheel, or Cycle Monkey. My LBS has no experience with the Rohloff, but are a highly regarded shop, so I'm thinking it should just be a simple matter to point out to them the specific differences in a Rohloff build: the type and pattern of the spokes, the tension of them is higher I understand, the right nipples, and they are very picky overall about the entire process, with the threat of a cracked hub/voided warranty being mentioned.

It would maybe be a bit awkward buying the hub from LUNA and then sending it to CM for the build, as they also sell them of course, being the US distributor, but at full retail markup, the difference being many hundreds of dollars! I don't want to hurt their feelings but for a 500 buck savings, LUNA gets my business! If you have any knowledge of how that would go down with them, whether it would be an issue for them, CM, me buying direct from you and having you ship it direct to them for my wheel build, let me know. They for sure are the most knowledgeable shop out there on all things Rohloff. They are closed now, probably Monday also, so my timing is bad. No use sending it up to Idaho and then back down to California. I'll buy it now, just don't ship it to me just yet.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't speak for cycle monkey, but I would assume a job's a job regardless of how the part was sourced.

Hi, I've been using my 1000 watt waterproof connectors hub motor from luna (similar to :https://lunacycle.com/fat-ebike-kit-...of-connectors/, but not the fat bike one) quite frequently in the past couple years or so and have noticed that the hub itself has been getting a little wobbly. I figured a bearing replacement is necessary. I took it to a local bike shop (unfortunately I do not have an ebike maintenance shop around me at the moment) and they couldn't figure exactly which bearings are needed. I was wondering if anybody here knows the type of bearings I need and perhaps where I can get them. Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The bearings are pressed in, not what I would call easy to do but here is a video of the basic idea for disassembly of a dd hub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jua4Ai8sI_U

Please mind that you don't get your fingers pinched when re-assembling as the rotor/stator may snap violently together due to the magnetic force.

• Boris192
      Boris192 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, thank you! Will try that tomorrow. Do you have any idea what type of bearings may be in there? Or does it just come down to opening the hub up and looking?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It's probably a sealed bearing, I don't know the specific model number though. Often it's printed on the bearing itself.

I'm trying to convert an old road bike into my ecommuter and bike I use when I can't deal with the massive hills near me. I dont want to add a lot of weight as I'll be pedaling most of the time. I'm interested in mid drive kits but dont want to give up a chainring and also wish to use my existing crank set. Are there any options or do I need to go to a wheel kit? If I had my way I'd use a system like the vivax kit, but that's way too expensive for a commuter. Any help appreciated

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You could use this mini cyclone with the triple chainring option if you still want to have use of multiple chainrings.

https://lunacycle.com/mini-cyclone-kit/

Fair warning though, it is not as easy an install as something like our BBS02. Generally when you have a kit you don't need that much gear range anyway.
      https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-middrive-kit/

You would need to use cranks built for the kit. On BBSxx mid drives you can upgrade to nice aftermarket square taper cranks made by shimano or lekkie. In theory you could use your existing cranks if you have square taper but in practice you would likely first have to cut off the spider that is usually attached to the right crank on most bike cranks.

When will the https://lunacycle.com/triangle-48v-p...er-long-range/ battery and the advanced 48v charger be back in stock? I need to buy them to complete a bike I'm finishing.
    Attached Files

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably 3-4 weeks on the battery, the chargers will be here a little sooner.

I am looking for crank arms for my ultra bafang motor. Do you have them in stock? if so what is part number so I may order. Thank you for all your help

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry we don't have those at this time. You can probably just get a couple left isis bike cranks and bolt them on. Can't promise it'll work but I see no reason why it would not.

Luna Big Wheel: Will the hub motor handle 72 volts/3000 watts. The controller I received has 63v capacitors, so except to have to upgrade that.
    Last edited by david7198; 01-02-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe. Overvolting is often a possibility with decent sized hubmotors, at least as far as the motor itself.
      Might affect reliability though. You will want to keep an eye on temps, especially if going on long uphill rides.
      Maybe use some of this on the hub to help keep things cool https://lunacycle.com/luna-ferroflui...-coolant-10ml/

Thanks Paxtana

Comment

Hi which external controller would you recommend for my bbshd with 74v35ah battery.
      Thank you Tomas

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        That is outside the scope of what we at Luna can advise on but you might post a new thread asking this question.
    Working...
    X