Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, was wondering if/when the cyclone 3000 will be back in stock. Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Soon we hope.

The motors are at the port. Not easy getting them to clear customs with the government shut down though.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Cyclone 3000 is now restocked.

• Boris192
      Boris192 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I saw that. Thank you!

I have an X model bike. I purchased the pedal kit which should be delivered today. This morning I saw that the supermoto wheel kit was back in stock and I went ahead and ordered that as well. My question is that which chain and sprocket do I actually use with the pedal kit installed with the supermoto wheel kit?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You will probably need to use an entire new standard 420 chain. X has Oring chain, to use oring you would need an extra length of this particular chain and master links etc, which are currently unavailable.

I recently purchased an bbsos2, from Luna cycles.how do I know the controller has been upgraded.?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      They're all upgraded now. Luna doesn't sell the non-upgraded versions anymore.

If my bbshd has a sticker on that says 100 mm does that mean my motor it the 73-100mm bottom bracket size? Also what type of connector is there on the new bbshd for the battery connection?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Most likely but don't go relying on stickers too much. Do a manual measurement to be sure. The connectors are the same as they've always been. Should be Anderson Powerpoles.

I have a trike (toy) on order and I will need to pick up a battery. It’s driven by a 1500W hub motor in the front and does not have pedals. 100% battery powered. Priorities are costs, then speed, and then distance. I will be driving it in a rural area for fun and weigh just over 200lbs. I confirmed the controller and motor can handle up to a 72v battery.

I was looking at these two batteries. I would try to mount one of these on the frame that comes up from the seat to the handle bars. It would be between my legs. Would the battery get too hot? Or I need to figure out how to mount a battery behind the small bucket seat. Thoughts?

I’ve read U.P.P. makes quality batteries for being Chinese made? I assume these are Chinese cells. U.P.P. EBay 52v 13ah.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-P-P-Ebike...zv#UserReviews)

This is about a $100 more but uses LG cells. Joyisi 52v 13ah LG cells.

https://www.amazon.com/Joyisi-Ebike-...ustomerReviews

Trike
    https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/1...ift-fat-trike/)
    Last edited by Trikefun; 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh it's the Luna Trike? Any 52v battery above 10ah+ will be fine
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM.

• Trikefun
      Trikefun commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HIGHVOLTAGE

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      For reference the controller is only limited to 48v-52v so if you plan on doing 72v, you'll need to change the controller out.

Hey guys, thought I'd ask here too regarding the Eclipse setup for BBSHD. I was stoked to find it came w a 42t sprocketand with its offset it is perfect for my setup. However when ordering it made me choose a finish on the sprocket with only two options (polished or black) however both had an ominous (48t) attached. Thinking it was a glitch, after all the description says it comes with a 42... I chose. Sure enough it came today w a 48... bummer. I can't use it.

Os there something I missed? I really need the 42t asap, I tried to look up and buy a 42 sprocket alone on the site and can't figure that out either so now I'm nervous. Help!! Thanks! J

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The 42t sprocket is sold out temporarily. When restocked that option will be on the page. The sprockets are interchangeable and sold separately if you want to buy just the sprocket and bolt it on when restocked.

Hi, a couple qs on waterproofing. I'm looking into ways to further waterproof the more vulnerable parts of my DD hub motor and throttle (https://bit.ly/2LPf5BW) to extend their lifespan a bit before replacement. I use my hub motor for bike delivery/courier work and often required to ride in quite snowy/rainy conditions.

For the hub motor I was wondering if some high temp silicone under the cover caps would be a good idea?

On account of the throttle I'm thinking of designing some sort of rain cover to keep the water away. Are there perhaps any other ways? Perhaps coating the mechanism with some sort of spray? Any ideas?

Thank you!

Comment

• Boris192
      Boris192 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it's the Luna 1000 watt waterproof connectors motor. Opened it up the other day to swap out the bearings and noticed that some water got in. My throttle and lcd display failed due to water damage about a week ago had to replace those too. I've managed to waterproof the lcd, just looking for ways to further waterproof the throttle and the hub just in case.
      Last edited by Boris192; 01-04-2019, 08:46 PM.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment

• Boris192
      Boris192 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hit the spot thank you!

Hi, I have a BBSHD with DPC-14 display and I am getting error 12 when power up, what could be the cause of this
    ? thanks

Comment

• hardhat666
      hardhat666 commented
      Editing a comment
      the DPC-14 display stopped working all together, I wasn't sure if I may of got water in it as I was riding in the rain, so when put new DPC-14 display on error 12 comes up

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bbshd-or-bbs02

Try bypassing using this guide here and see if the motor still works without it plugged in.

• hardhat666
      hardhat666 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 2 bbshd's so I have done some swapping about and I am fairly sure the problem is in the controller or motor, according to the error code guide on that link it is a current sensor abnormality, possible shunt blown, if that is the case am I best to get new controller or can the shunt be fixed, thanks very much for you help

One more question on a whole different issue:

i recently picked up your BBSHD kit (off road mode) after a super easy and clean install, no kinks or cold solder joints it ran perfectly for nearly 100 miles. I was out for a ride yesterday, stopped, took off up a hill slowly and it just died. Display was black and would not power back on. Motor was warm but nothing you couldn't put a bare hand to. Condition to be honest is it was under as heavy a load as possible. Power was set to 5 of 5 and I started up the hill in too high a gear so I was slugging the pedals slowly gaining speed when it died, so I'm sure it was ATM max amps.

I checked all lines, no kinks or issues. All plugs are in and tight. I checked the soldered in line fuse to motor and it's chalky and white and there's still continuity across it. Not sure if it's a slow pop fuse and supposed to look like that? It's powered by two of your 52v Panasonic ga 14ah packs in parallel and at resting 54.5v when it happened. Any ideas where to go next? One thing I'm suspect of is the display, I may be off but the power button doesn't seem to "click" like it did. Is the controller toast? How best to check it? Appreciate any help. Thank,you
    N
    update: Thanks guys. Yeah I'm thinking controller too. I know it wasn't optimal takeoff there but I'd done it before w no issues. Honestly I would have been more protective but assumed this model would have protection of some kind. Kinda silly, but learn the hard way I guess. I agree a spare controller would be good but I'm not going to buy a stocker... now if the Ludicrous was available, I'll take two! Unfortunately had to go to Canada and source something suitable for this build.

Ya man It just went black. The bike stopped and I looked down to a black DPS mini that would not power the system back on. Pulling the esc today looking for some toasty moffsets. Thanks again boys.
    Last edited by Loppy; 01-05-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say controller is probably toast based off your description of how it was used. You can always return it if it doesn't resolve the issue, although it never hurts to have a spare on hand.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you saying the display died, or it stopped accelerating?

When driving, after a few minutes or when demanding over 500W, the BMS of the battery cuts out completely. Everything goes dead. the lights on the battery show a pulsing red. Plugging the charger resets it instantly. what could be causing this? This is a 48V hard case.
    Last edited by stephen wisconsin; 01-04-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I would check inside, look for any signs of physical damage such as water or salt, and test the cell banks.
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ctrical-issues

If it is not sag then it is either the bms or the cells are way out of balance, for example due to physical damage.

Probably want to email us so we can help you in-depth on this one. support@lunacycle.com

• stephen wisconsin
      stephen wisconsin commented
      Editing a comment
      No damage on battery cells and each reads 3.9V diagonally with a total of 50V. So I loaded tested the battery by connecting each pole to a metal plate in a salt water bucket. One pole goes through an Amp meter to a plate completely in. I lowered the second plate until the Amp meter reads 1.0 Amp, and noted the depth. Using the depth as the scale for 1 amp, I graduated the second plate up to 10 Amps. I had to add salt to get it just right. Then I removed the Amp meter only good to 2 amps, and connected a volt meter instead to both poles to watch the battery voltage drop. It reads 50.0V. I started lowering the second plate and as it fizzes, the voltage drop. The BMS shuts the battery at 1.5 Amp as the voltage dropped to 47.9 before cutting out. I can repeat the same process every 5 to 10 seconds (BMS resets itself). So it seems the problem is isolated to the BMS ??? Should I test behind the BMS, straight from the battery?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, gotta say that's a pretty neat test compared to our recommended methods.

Anyway. Assuming the pack was not in freezing conditions you should probably not see a 2v voltage drop from a 2A draw.
      If you look at this test, also on our ga shark pack: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...li-ion-battery

At room temp that shows a ~6v drop from more than ten times your current. I doubt we would see a tenth of the drop from a tenth of the current but it's probably not going to be a third of it either.

Please email support the order# and a picture of the bms so we can check if we have one we can send you. Not too sure as I have definitely never seen the indicator lights pulse before but we'll do what we can. Pics of the inside of the pack would also help.

As far as additional testing you might try repeating that test with the bms unplugged. There's a harness on it, just unplug it. Should be able to pull more current and see what sort of sag you are seeing at higher draw.

i have a wolf pack battery 52 v panasonic GA cells that has been charged 18 times. it's never been discharged below 49v and that was only once to 49.4. i typically recharge to 90% using the luna 300w smart charger at 2A and until about 3 charges ago would top off at 58.8v at 100% now it will only go to 58.1 at 100% even if i charge at only 1 amp. did i loose a cell? should i leave it on charger for a day or so? if so should i do it now while it's at 58.1 v or discharge it some? btw as soon as i disconnect the charger the charger reads 59.1v and the display reads 58.1 so i'm confident in my numbers im reporting

Comment

I live near Sacramento. I have a 48v 17.5ah lithium ion battery pack which was working on my bike perfectly I regularly got 25 or more miles per charge. (I never rode it long enough to get to a low power warning.) A week ago, after it was fully charged, i connected it on my bike which has a Cycle Analyst which reported that it was fully charged. When I pressed the thumb throttle, the screen went blank and there was no power. In order to restart it, I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect. Only with the same result. I have a 750w BMC motor on a Sun recumbent bike. when I tried another identical battery, the bike worked perfectly. The battery is about two years old.
    I want to know if anyone knows a place to have the battery diagnosed/repaired. Any place in the Sacramento area or the East Bay or in San Francisco or Silicon Valley. I'm told I cannot ship it myself so i'm happy to drive it anywhere reasonable. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Hanoch; 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Hi guys. I have a wiring situation that would be easier for me to butt connect as opposed to solder. It is the power harness on a 30A BBSHD. Is a simple crimped butt connection going to limit the flow of electricity enough to give the motor less juice than it deserves, or is this not an issue? I want to do the right thing for the motor, but if I can get away with a regular butt crimp then that would be easiest. FYI my question is for a traditional butt crimp, not the new crimps with solder inside.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Should be fine. If the crimp causes high resistance it is going to get hot. You can touch the butt splice once it's all installed and working, if it's not getting hot then it's not bottlenecking.

Or if you want to be more precise you can check resistance with a multimeter. Push the leads through the wiring insulation on either side of the the splice and see what number you get.

• AndyZ
      AndyZ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'll give it a try.

I have a high 20's amp hour 52v triangle 18650 battery that I bought from you guys a while back. I put the battery on my bike using the triangle case that came from you guys. Will the ebike battery get messed up if I store it vertically? Attached is a pic of how I want to store the bike.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

• moarpower
      moarpower commented
      Editing a comment
      That should be fine. I hang mine on the wall during winter. Be mindful if you have fluid filled suspension forks on your bike. I found that I have to store my dh ebike forks down to keep them from slowly leaking fluid.

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
    i have a wolf pack battery 52 v panasonic GA cells that has been charged 18 times. it's never been discharged below 49v and that was only once to 49.4. i typically recharge to 90% using the luna 300w smart charger at 2A and until about 3 charges ago would top off at 58.8v at 100% now it will only go to 58.1 at 100% even if i charge at only 1 amp. did i loose a cell? should i leave it on charger for a day or so? if so should i do it now while it's at 58.1 v or discharge it some? btw as soon as i disconnect the charger the charger reads 59.1v and the display reads 58.1 so i'm confident in my numbers im reporting
    ok thx. if the charger drifted is that something you guys can do if i send it back? how long would turnaround be? i do not have an ammeter. so if the charger is out of spec would it still read 59.1 at completion of charge?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't need an ammeter though. Any multi-meter will suffice and generally speaking we would usually recommend all E-bike owners to have one for situations like this.anyways. I mean you could probably get a local electrical hardware store to do it for you if you show them the instructions.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 01-06-2019, 10:05 AM.
Working...
X