Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190106_082444.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	80835 Hello,
    I just finished setting up my 3rd ebike and I am having a problem. I purchased a 48v Luna shark pack and I have paired it with a Chinese 1000w non-geared hub motor. It is throttle only with no PAS. It has an LCD control.
    The issue is intermittent glitch in the power while riding. I say glitch because it is more like a bump and not a pure loss of power. It seems like one set of coils gets out of phase for a split second and causes the motor to jolt. I have already ruled out the battery since I get the same intermittent problem with a different battery. I believe it is a loose connection, interference between cables, or a bad hall sensor. I have checked all the connections visually. I am sure it is not the main power connector. I can rule out the brake cutoff since that behaves differently (smooth cut in power.) That leave me with the LDC display control, the throttle cable or the hall cables/sensors.
    Given all this info, which of those is the most likely culprit? Which would be the most sensitive to inductive interference? This may be a tough nut to crack and I am hoping someone has seen this exact issue before.
    Many thanks,
    Robert
    Last edited by Robert62; 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      An intermittent problem which occurs at all speed/power levels could be a loose connection or short in throttle, brake cables, gearsensor cable or connectors between controller>motor. A problem that only happens at high load is more likely to be something getting hot. Which could be a high resistance connection or short in the power wiring, or an overheating controller, or an overheating battery.

It occurs randomly. Sometimes during deceleration. I doubt it is the throttle. I am suspecting the cable from the motor to controller or something inside the hub.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Robert

Comment

I need some extra length on my motor controller cables. Can anyone recommend a place to buy the connectors and cable? Is there any premade option?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know exactly which connector and cable you're referring to though. I'll need some more details.

Hello, I was wondering when the pedal kit for the Sur Ron Light Bee might be restocked, and what current shipping times look like? Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        The standalone kit? Maybe we'll have some in the next shipment in a month. Can't say for sure though. It was on order with factory.

What's the warranty in bbshd? Mine is starting to squeak, anything I can do to fix it?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you mean by squeak? Squeaking is usually due to movement of the motor casing within the bottom bracket shell or the cranks on the spindle coming loose. Not really something down to a defect in my experience, more down to installation and/or how it is used.

If you find it's the casing making a bit of movement in the bb shell you probably just want to tighten the lockring more, or use one of the alternate mounts to reinforce it.
        If it's the cranks you'll want to replace whichever crank it happens to be. The metal can deform from not being tightened to the specs printed on the crank bolt, just from using it and that crank hole banging against the tapered spindle.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...t-still-moving

Hi! I'm wondering how long the anniversary sale goes for? I don't get paid til like January 18th or 20th, and I really don't want to miss this deal!!!!!!! Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there. Hard to say, that's really up to Eric and Ashley. At least a week seems likely but I can't say whether everything you are looking at will actually be in stock that long, even without a sale we regularly sell out of all sorts of stuff..

Personally I would use the PayPal Credit option within cart instead of waiting. This extends a line of credit for that purchase with no interest for 6 months. Approval is basically instant and fairly easy from what I hear.

Do you sell the older 4 pin 13.5 amp shark pack cradle any more?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        We don't, sorry..

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        eBay is the only, and unfortunately expensive way I've come across, and the tray is not wired out to a connector (it does come with both sides of the connector, and the contact pins):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-bi...72.m2749.l2649

I think there's a market for these trays, enough to make some money maybe - I sent a note to the above (U.S.) vendor suggesting the possibility..
        Last edited by ncmired; 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM.

Setup:
      2 months old BBS02b With luna DPC18 display:

Has started to cut power intermittently. It runs for some minutes, then cuts again. Repeating. Funny thing is the watt/ampere gauge on the display keeps jumping up and down as long as it is running, but falls to zero when it cuts.

- Display is on and working as normal.
      - Voltage is steady (both on display and with voltmeter)
      - Tried running the bike directly on charger, the problem is still there.
      - Speedometer working as normal (did also check the speed sensor: working).
      - Cannot say it has something to do with bumps etc.
      - Tried disconnecting gear shift sensor and brake sensor. Stille there.

Controller?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        It is not the battery if bypassing the battery shows the issue remains. Might want to check the phase wires are not partially unplugged. See the troubleshooting page for a video

• oystlars
        oystlars commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok. If its the 3 wires from controller to motor, I disconnected them and then put them back. Problem remains.. Did not unplug the white broad connector, only the black and the 3 wires, except from one silicone tube being splitted, it was very clean inside, must say impressive build quality, but did not solve my problem.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        I would try bypassing the display, see that section of this page
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bbshd-or-bbs02

If that does not work you may need to try a new controller.

Also, given that it is winter it is highly advisable to waterproof the new controller if it needs replaced. Road salt is very destructive to electronics.
        http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...bshd-and-bbs02

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post

ok thx. if the charger drifted is that something you guys can do if i send it back? how long would turnaround be? i do not have an ammeter. so if the charger is out of spec would it still read 59.1 at completion of charge?
      i guess i'm missing something then. in the instructions for adjusting P3 i need to measure the current and readjust the pot. you never answered why the charger would read 59.1 after full charge.

Comment

• Tommycat
        Tommycat commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Fuzzy,
        If you haven't done so already you really have to read this great thread by Sebz on the Luna chargers!

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...i-and-advanced

In a perfect world with accurate meters, no battery sag or internal resistances, and with balanced cells. The charger should read 58.8 volts with the battery not connected. And 58.8 volts immediately after the charger shuts off when charging to 100%. But in the real world... Some batteries will need the little extra bit of voltage to top off. (My 52 volt mini works well with the disconnected reading at 59.3 volts) And the battery will start dropping soon after charging stops. Ether to balance or just normal sag. New batteries should always be charged to 100% for a few times to start with. Not doing so and only charging to 90% could be giving you an unbalanced cell condition.(cell balancing does not take place at less than 100% charge rate) By all means charge to 100%...let sit for a couple hours, then restart. The voltage should come up. Then don't leave it at 100% for any length of time, get riding to reduce charge back to 90%. Check the battery/charger Knowledge base sections for more information...

I've been following the instructions for BBSHD maintenance after my motor started sounding like a pepper grinder. (But would sound fine when I goosed the throttle.) I started with a new clutch, but that didn't resolve the issue. Cracked open the primary to get at the nylon gear and pinion, and found that the motor core tip end is fragmented and orange washer is long gone. Does this mean new motor core? If it does, and I decide to replace entire BBSHD, does Luna want the core?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, new core needed. But no need to send it back to Luna. I'd just keep it for spare parts.

Hello and happy Friday,

[1] Do you have a front axle version of the "DOUBLE GEAR / DOUBLE TORQUE MOTOR"? It's not showing up as an option on your website.
      [2] If so, I plan to mount it to a bike with a front wheel drop-out of 120mm. Is it OK to just put 5mm spacers (or nuts) on both sides to fit the 110mm spacing of the motor?
      [3] Can the controller operate at 36v?

Thank you!
      Providers of quality ebikes, electric bike batteries, motors and components at affordable pricing.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately there are no front axle options right now. They've ran out of stock for now from what I know. However I believe the unit is only compatible with 48v-52v batteries so a 36v will not work :(

• johnsmith
        johnsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks HIGHVOLTAGE. Do you know of a similar light front hub motor somewhere else for purchase?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing similar from what I know. You can try this link for a list of kit suppliers though: https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/wiki..._kit_suppliers

Hi Fuzzy,
      If you haven't done so already you really have to read this great thread by Sebz on the Luna chargers!

In a perfect world with accurate meters, no battery sag or internal resistances, and with balanced cells. The charger should read 58.8 volts with the battery not connected. And 58.8 volts immediately after the charger shuts off when charging to 100%. But in the real world... Some batteries will need the little extra bit of voltage to top off. (My 52 volt mini works well with the disconnected reading at 59.3 volts) And the battery will start dropping soon after charging stops. Ether to balance or just normal sag. New batteries should always be charged to 100% for a few times to start with. Not doing so and only charging to 90% could be giving you an unbalanced cell condition.(cell balancing does not take place at less than 100% charge rate) By all means charge to 100%...let sit for a couple hours, then restart. The voltage should come up. Then don't leave it at 100% for any length of time, get riding to reduce charge back to 90%. Check the battery/charger Knowledge base sections for more information...
      • thanks but i think i'm not making myself clear, sorry. i've read the article. my unloaded voltage is fine, between 58.9 and 59.1 volts. when i charge the pack to 100% it seems to cut out early and only charges to 58.1 volts. understand that the voltage stays at 59 +/- 0.1 volts but as the current diminishes i think it stops too soon. so i don't think i want to adjust P1, article says do not adjust P2 and i do not have an ammeter with 0.1 amp resolution or better. so i think i need to adjust P3 but don't know how. my question is can i return it to Luna to get it adjusted back to spec? if so long long will that take and if not what do i do next? can i rely on the current reading on the charger when it stops charging to adjust the P3? approx how many turns per amp change does the pot give? this is my last attempt at getting my answer here before i contact the support team which i am trying no to do. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
        Hi Fuzzy,

• thanks but i think i'm not making myself clear, sorry. i've read the article. my unloaded voltage is fine, between 58.9 and 59.1 volts. when i charge the pack to 100% it seems to cut out early and only charges to 58.1 volts. understand that the voltage stays at 59 +/- 0.1 volts but as the current diminishes i think it stops too soon. so i don't think i want to adjust P1, article says do not adjust P2 and i do not have an ammeter with 0.1 amp resolution or better. so i think i need to adjust P3 but don't know how. my question is can i return it to Luna to get it adjusted back to spec? if so long long will that take and if not what do i do next? can i rely on the current reading on the charger when it stops charging to adjust the P3? approx how many turns per amp change does the pot give? this is my last attempt at getting my answer here before i contact the support team which i am trying no to do. thanks
        oh and one last thing. if this voids the warranty wouldn't i be a fool to do it myself? that's all

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately Luna doesn't really the service these chargers as far as I know hence why the guide exists but I don't know how old the charger is, so you can try. If it's brand new or recently purchased, they might make an exception. However, you do not want to adjust the P3 switch. At this point, I'd say just email support@lunacycle.com. They might be able to offer you store credit or something.

To be honest, 59.1v is really not that huge of a deal for 52v batteries as long as they are not stored in that state for long periods of time. Most of the time you end up draining it below 58v within the first couple mins of riding.
          Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM.

• Tommycat
          Tommycat commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. If you've tried the balancing charging with no results... it's time to contact Luna support.

In the last few days, while I'm waiting on my Rohloff XL hub to be shipped, I have been getting more educated on which is the preferred model of hub I need for my bike, which has horizontal sliding dropouts. Quoting from Cycle Monkey's site: Rohloff has two models of the XL version, a CC version (cross country, quick release) and the other model is referred to as TS (threaded spindle). The TS model is the one I need, in my original post I was unsure of this requirement, now I know better. Anyone know which model it is?
        Last edited by CPG; 01-13-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• ncmired
          ncmired commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought it's the way you build the model number, something like 500/14 TS DB XL, and the external gear mech, disc rotor and probably OEM plate in your case are added on, optional components. Where/how you specify 32 or 36 spokes I dunno.

I've got a Rohloff, but didn't individually order it.

Do you mean they can be configured as needed, in either CC or TS version? Using the same base XL hub? Yes, the way you spelled it out is the way to order one if custom ordering one. Figuring out which one LUNA has is what I need to do. I am told I need the clamping pressure of TS for my sliding drop outs, but I also won't need a chain tensioner.

Comment

Working...
        X