Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Its really just the frame I was interested in. I don't mind investing in a cool project.

It has a 500W hub on there. Would upgrading the rear hub make much difference if I put a 48V/52V battery on it?
    Would you recommend the Double Gear/Double Torque? Can I lace that to the existing wheel?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The hub is not where the bottleneck is. It is probably the only part of the system that can handle significant overvolting. This is not like a gas motor where the bigger the motor the more the power. DC motors are just big electromagnets basically. It will produce torque from whatever power you give it until it burns out from excess heat. So the question is how do we send more power? You need a better battery and a better controller, and any needed accessories to make that work.

We don't make compatibility claims on stuff that is not from our company so I can't help you there, but generally the double torque requires stretching the dropouts considerably, which can be problematic depending on the frame. Measure first and check the specs on listing to see compatibility.

How much faster do you want to go over 20 MPH?

Comment

Right now, I'd be happy with 30mph. More interested in how it will do with the weight of two riders

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        For that speed combined with the torque needed for multiple riders, you probably would want a cyclone so you can gear it down when necessary.
        https://lunacycle.com/cyclone-mid-dr...planetary-kit/

And pair it with a big battery
        https://lunacycle.com/triangle-52v-p...er-long-range/

Fair warning that this would take some fabrication skills, for stuff like making a custom battery enclosure within the frame, and possibly mounting the motor. Should not be impossible though, as lithium cycles frame is essentially just a clone of the coast cycles ruckus that we build our Banana ebike off of, which we have sold with cyclone build option in the past.

On the original equipment including the hubmotor, controller and battery, probably would want to just remove this stuff and have the wheel laced into a regular non-electric hub to save weight. Or maybe lace it to a nice 3 speed IGH hub like a nexus 3 or sturmey archer if you wanted to get fancy
        https://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

Wondering if I could buy a cable and test the outputs somehow??? Or connect it to a display?

Comment

Hello, I am installing a BBSHD kit (order #70082) on a 68mm bottom bracket Fuji mountain bike. After seeing the quality of the provided crank arms I decided to invest in some Lekkie buzz bars. First I bought your 170mm left offset arms, not realizing that there were other options. The left offset made the left pedal stick out 18mm more than the right one (the originated flat crank arms were perfectly centered around the frame based on caliper measurements between the crank arm ends and the center tube). I just returned those to get the Lekkie flat crank arms. I tested the flat Lekkie crank arms today, which are centered nicely in the frame, but the left arm interferes with the motor casing by around 3mm. Do you have any suggestions for resolving this issue? I'd really like to keep the crank arms centered, and I think the cheap Chinese crank arms look terrible. I was wondering if you would suggest getting a 100mm bottom bracket rotor. I think that would lead to other problems though. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Before I buy another rotor can someone let me know why the gear on the rotor has snaped twice now. I just replaced the motor stator. Took it out and a half block and it snapped. And no it wasn't bogged down it was in an appropriate gear. I hear people say its built like a tank but I have had more than my share of problems with it since I bought it 9 months ago. The first time I probably had it for 3 or 4 months and then just a few hours ago.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          This is not really something anyone can answer for you here. If it was purchased recently from Luna, email support@lunacycle.com and they should be able to help you out. Personally I've rode mine hard for two years and never experienced this problem.

Originally posted by neverwas View Post
        Before I buy another rotor can someone let me know why the gear on the rotor has snaped twice now. I just replaced the motor stator. Took it out and a half block and it snapped. And no it wasn't bogged down it was in an appropriate gear. I hear people say its built like a tank but I have had more than my share of problems with it since I bought it 9 months ago. The first time I probably had it for 3 or 4 months and then just a few hours ago.
        A bad batch perhaps? See https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ent-bbshd-part
        BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Hello guys! I finally got a new rear derailleur, went out to ride and realized the pedal fails to engage from time to time, and sometimes slips as well. Thats the best way I could describe it. Im attaching a video so you can see what I mean. Also, when under more stress something seems to make a popping noise. Im hopig I can get some help in this and find a way to repair it. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/nRT62ece6JY

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            The slipping is coming from your chain skipping over the cassette/freewheel most likely. Common issue. Check your chainline and you might need to change your chainring out if you're using the default ring.

You can test for this by taking off the chain from the motor and running the motor to see if it makes any funny noises, but usually speaking it's the chain and the cassette that is having issues.

• ordnaj3la
            ordnaj3la commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotcha, thanks! As for the pedal? It seems its an internal problem, im thinking it could be the clutch?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            If you think it's the clutch, you can open it up and check on it. Should be easily replaceable

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-and-greasing
            Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM.

Does the 3kw emotor kit come with the chain tensioner as see in the picture, but I don't see it in the what comes in the box

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean the tensioner in this pic? Yes it should be there. If not email support.

Does the 3kw emotor kit come with the chain tensioner as see in the picture, but I don't see it in the what comes in the box

Comment

I do believe I need a new BMS for a Mighty Mini purchased May 2017. Does Luna have this BMS?
            BMS PN: L-963-14S/30A-1192 21703070017
            Pack PN 52-MINI-6-30Q

Symptom: Zero current (not a single mA) into the charge port with measured 59V at the charger
            Jump Started by charging through the discharge port. Current flows in and out of the discharge port. No change at charge port.
            Pulled the sensor wire plug, waited for 1 minute, reconnected: Same issue at charge port. Had to jump start to get current in and out of the discharge port.
            No signs of any burning or bad solder joints in pack.

Original problem with this pack wasn't no-charge. It lost about half its capacity, seemingly overnight.

It's possible the BMS doesn't like the low values at B1 and B5. I don't know what it will tolerate before shutting down the charge port. Pack charges fine through the discharge port, without any noticeable cell heating.

Cell Voltages:
            B- B1 3.99
            B1-B2 4.19
            B2-B3 4.19
            B3-B4 4.23
            B4-B5 4.08
            B5-B6 4.24
            B6-B7 4.24
            B7-B8 4.24
            B8-B9 4.24
            B9-B10 4.10
            B10-B11 4.22
            B11-B12 4.22
            B12-B13 4.23
            B13-B14 4.23

Comment

Does Luna offer an upgraded controller for the 1000w hub motor kits?

https://lunacycle.com/fat-ebike-kit-...of-connectors/

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, we do not :(

Looking for some hydraulic Disc Brake Sensors for my Rad Power Bike RadWagon, happen to know if Rad bikes uses either one of these connectors?

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-hydraul...-e-brake-pair/
            https://lunacycle.com/ebrake-sensors...kit-version-2/

thanks,

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              I would ask Rad Power instead. Don't have any experience with the Rad Power bikes. Looks like they use a Bafang Hub motor but hard to say on the connections they use.

I have a 20s battery pack that I'm using with an ASI BAC800. I'm looking for a good on/off switch or keyed ignition (preferred). Any ideas?

Comment

So this ebike has a (36V 11.6AH) Battery with a 500W Hub motor (I believe its a bafang), If I switch it out with your (52V 6AH) Mighty Mini. What difference can I expect? What controller should I purchase with it?

The controller on this looks just like your "Replacement Controller for Hub Motors" except the cable to the hub motor is different. Is there a wiring diagram I could use that might be compatible with whats already on the bike?
              Last edited by Sarmst1; 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
                HIGHVOLTAGE commented
                Editing a comment
                You'll see an increase in top speed heavily and a bit of a decrease in range

However for the controller question. you'll wanna check with the original manufacture of the Hub Motor. You can't really just swap controllers around from other kits though without some heavy knowledge of the motor and some advanced skillsets

You would be better off just starting over with a donor bike from Craigslist and a BBSHD/BBS02 kit than to try and upgrade a generic bike you already have.
            Working...
            X