Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is a Bafang Hub, would that controller work? What else do I need to know before purchasing those two items?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Bafang makes more ebike components than any other company in the world, with many variations on said products. We can provide no assurance that any controller made for bafang (or any other company for that matter except the one it is sold for) would be compatible, it just does not work like that. Also the controller you mentioned was not made by or for bafang, and it is sold out..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	82464Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	82465 Seller wont disclose hub manufacture.

Comment

Understood. Thanks

Is there a way to find a compatible controller for this motor? Or high probability?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        For plug and play? Not likely. You can rewire if of course, if you don't mind matching the dozens of wiring combinations.

There are various other things that would need done as well depending on how the original bike hardware is used. In other words it is unlikely that the throttle or pedal assist will be plug and play as well, same with battery connection and so on.

Thank You so much paxtana for your knowledge and patience.

Do you have a controller you can point in a possible direction? Or a way of sourcing the controller that is currently sold out? Is restocking likely? I am really determined to switch out this controller.

If I have to change the motor, What can you recommend? Double Gear/ Mac Motor? Is the Bafang 750W likely to restocked?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem man.

What controller I would point you to really depends how far you want to take this. I replied earlier in the week with a link to a full cyclone kit plus battery, this would be what I would do for the speed and torque you are looking for. We do sell the controller from that kit separately: https://lunacycle.com/motors-and-kit...ke-controller/

In theory you could wire this up to a hub as long as you have a battery that can provide that discharge rate, i.e. NOT the battery you currently have. As to the motor itself you have appears to be a fairly generic 500w geared hubmotor. You could probably push well over 1000w through it, but 2k or 3k (as this controller uses) may affect reliability so it may make more sense to just get rid of the hub and go with a whole kit as well as a battery powerful enough to support that.

Thanks. Would there be a way to limit it to maybe 1000w? Maybe the Storm Hot Rod 20amp controller with the Mighty Mini Battery?
      Last edited by Sarmst1; 1 week ago.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        We sometimes have a bluetooth version of that controller which can be programmed for whatever power level you want.

The storm controller would require kt-lcd3 display, you would need to google to find a source for it.

A mini battery is not going to be large enough to do what you want it to do. That provides six amp hours. Meaning you could pull six amps for an hour before running out. The 20A controller is peak but still, it's going to be pulling a decent bit continuously, especially if you have what appears to be a fatbike and want to go 30mph due to wind resistance. Assuming you are pulling ~18A on average, that's something like 20 minutes of ride time.

For high performance you need a big battery. If we are pulling 18A on average and we have an 18 amp hour battery, we can run that bike for one hour. That cyclone controller peaks at 30A but is a mid drive so you can downshift it and might only pull 15A continuously when it is geared properly. These are guesstimates of course, but hopefully it helps illustrate the idea. The battery you have on there right now is only usable because the stock controller is not high performance.

Anyone know if the Rohloff XL hub I bought a couple weeks ago comes with oil in it? The manual is iffy on this....it says something like "it should be filled with oil by your dealer". It not like it has a dipstick and I can just check it. I also don't want to drain it out, (kind of hard to do without a minor mess, especially if trying to save it all) measure it, and pour it back it, neither do I want to just order the Rohloff specific oil in and drain out perfectly good oil.

When I bought my first R hub, I had Cycle Monkey lace the wheel up, and was told when they shipped it me it was ready to ride, so didn't have this issue. It would make sense for the R factory to ship them overseas, with NO oil in them, trusting their retails to add the needed oil. If no one knows, I'll drain it out I guess and try and capture it all and put it back in. Or, maybe I'll just let a little drain out, and assume that means it has the proper amount/has been filled (and by filled, I mean the proper amount, not actually FILLED.) That makes sense, if bone dry, it will be obvious, if much at all comes out, I will consider it "filled." Comments?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        I think if there is even a possibility of it not having oil then it is not worth the risk to leave it unchecked.

I have a 24v ebike. Kind of an antique. Can't find a cost effective battery. I have a 48v battery that will fit. Any suggestions on howbto fix the voltage?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Chances are the controller is probably limited to 24v and you'd have to end up replacing that too which comes with it's own complications. Some other members in this thread are essentially having the same problem. It is much easier to just start over from scratch on a new build with a donor bike than to try modifying a previous existing e-build. Especially if it's an antique since the parts might be too worn down to be of any use.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        If the controller pulls less than 15a peak I can recommend a decent buck converter.

Any info on how I could possibly connect my Lishui Controller to the Parameter Adjuster? What Part do I need to source?

Comment

Looking for where to start.

I have a BBS02 that stopped working. Rode my bike into work the other day (13 miles) and the motor worked fine. After sitting for the day, I couldn't get the bike's motor to work on the way home. The display lit up properly, but the motor was unresponsive in both the throttle and pedal assist modes. No noise is coming from the motor at all. I was able to pedal the bike home, at which point I tried a second battery i had on hand - with the same results. The battery connections are good and I can find no evidence of any loose or damaged wiring. The motor has about 2,000 miles on the clock. I am looking for help to determine the best starting point for diagnosing the motor problem. Some notes: The outside temp that day was slightly below freezing. It was bone dry outside. The controller temp (as measured by my aquarium thermometer) did not exceed 70 degrees. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Check the bbsxx knowledge base on this forum for troubleshooting step by step

I have only had my cyclone for 6 months and the freewheel snapped. I have the replacement part, but I don’t know how to remove the original freewheel. I have grinded it to hell with vice grips and it won’t budge. I think the inner metal is threaded clockwise into the black/outer part. I turn the inner metal left and the black part right, but it won’t budge...any ideas?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably need to email support on this one.

• KNOWLEDGE.JUNKIE.369
          Editing a comment
          Figured it out, I needed a gear puller. When a motor shaft has a key and dimple, a gear puller is required to remove the freewheel/gear. I got the heavy duty 14t freewheel from sickbikeparts.com for $70 Canadian. Luna sells one for 30US, but “heavy duty” sounds more promising.

• AlanKilian
          AlanKilian commented
          Editing a comment
          I also blew up my freewheel and the heavy-duty freewheel died after about two weeks, so I replaced it with a non-freewheel.
          NOTE: I'm using a Kelly controller which can handle back EMF from the motor being driven by the drive wheel.

Hello,

Quick question; (I've posted my build under "Raised chainstay frame on budget Trail Bike" for the Nishiki Colorado Comp - Superfood Funguy), I swapped into the Eclipse 48T chain ring/sprocket and it helped quite a bit, but still have the issue of the chain rubbing the chain stay in the highest (smallest) gears. According to your documentation, Eclipse 48T has a 24.8MM offset with a 205MM diameter (currently installed). I noticed you have restocked the Eclipse 42T (24.8MM/180MM). Would you suggest the smaller diameter chain ring will help to clear the chain stay (180MM vs 205MM) even more? How about the Eclipse 40T chain ring? Do you know what the diameter will be (when you get them in stock and available) for the Eclipse 40T chain ring and will it be the same offset? Thanks for your help!

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking at the pics it is possible if you go with the 42t sprocket that should be better, as it's same offset but diameter is smaller.
          https://lunacycle.com/luna-eclipse-b...sprocket-only/

Though obviously we cannot guarantee it. That's a fairly nonstandard frame. Might be a good candidate for an IGH on the rear instead of a cassette. IDK why any frame maker would build something like that, seems problematic.

40t eclipse is already restocked it is on a separate listing. You don't want that one though, the offset is way different.

• Superfood Funguy
          Superfood Funguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool. Thanks!

[QUOTE=CPG;n82498]Anyone know if the Rohloff XL hub I bought a couple weeks ago comes with oil in it? The manual is iffy on this....it says something like "it should be filled with oil by your dealer". It not like it has a dipstick and I can just check it. I also don't want to drain it out, (kind of hard to do without a minor mess, especially if trying to save it all) measure it, and pour it back it, neither do I want to just order the Rohloff specific oil in and drain out perfectly good oil.

I found the quote in the manual "IF YOUR HUB CAME ON A COMPLETE BIKE IT WILL BE FILLED WITH OIL.". Fair enough, then I pulled the plug, no oil. Which makes sense as I got the hub by itself.Not that I was ever going to ride it without checking anyway. The great deal I got from LUNA on the hub makes buying a bit of oil no big deal. And it's not like I'm done with my build anyway!
        Last edited by CPG; 1 week ago.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Phew..I'm glad you checked. Crisis averted :)

One last note on the hub oil thing: in doing some research on the subject, I came across one Rohloff user who found that when he went to do his first annual oil changeout, nothing came out! It appears that he rode it dry for a year, thinking it was filled, I think he was TOLD it was filled, but wasn't. As far as he could tell, it didn't hurt a thing, it rode fine! The theory is that when they assemble it at the factory, they use some lube on each gear as they put it together, and that served to keep it lubed well enough. Just another amazing thing about them!

Comment

I just finished building my first ebike and I’m addicted. Now I want to put LUNA’s double gear hub motor on a BMX. There is 10.5cm of room on the rear fork. Will this hub motor fit a bmx? If so, how do I fit the bmx gear on this build? I don’t think a regular bmx gear will fit. If I can’t figure this out I will have to mount the motor on the front. Also, is this motor compatible as a front hub?

Comment

• BK Xray
            BK Xray commented
            Editing a comment
            The double geared hub takes 145 mm. No way would it fit in your BMX frame without major modifications.

• KNOWLEDGE.JUNKIE.369
            Editing a comment
            I thought that measurement included the threaded rod

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            145 is the minimum dropout width. Some folks say it's more like 150 even. I think BMX uses steel right? If so you can probably spread it, long as it's not something like aluminum. Maybe you can do the same with cromoly, not sure.

The front version of that hub is sold out.

TBH my biggest concern would not be the dropouts but how it is planned to be used. Using it as a trick bike, that sort of thing, probably not ideal with double torque. That clutch it uses to do what it does is fairly new tech and not as robust as something like BBSHD. Would be fine for a commuter as long as downshifting on hills, but taking it off of jumps or something would have me a bit worried.

Hi, new e-biker here with dumb question. I bought bbs02 kit with mighty-mini battery. I'm at the point of hooking up to battery. The kit came with Luna Cycle circuit board... which I assume is the BMS. I see the connector off the battery for it. Do you just plug it in and stick it to battery with padded sticky and put in bag and leave it? What info shows on display? Also, what is extra black/red yellow ended (other end is bare) cable for? Thanks a ton. John

Comment

Working...
          X