Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. I've been happily writing a custom build, when suddenly my battery does not seem to take a charge. It's a 58V volt. It was at 52.5v and I plugged it in and the fan revved up for not-even-a-second before it clicked off and LED 2 turned green again. There is a tiny tick sound and it actually charges but an impossibly slow rate. Every so often, the fan kicks on and off. I've seen ridden it down to 51.5v, but same results. Battery issue? Charger issue?

This is my primary way of moving my children and me around, so I am hopeful for a quick and actionable reply! Thanks,

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this a LunaCycle battery/charger? If so, Probably best to email support@lunacycle.com about this with your order #

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      You should have an extra charger anyway for this very reason. I have not found any charger to be very reliable.

Has anyone else had issues with the C961 display and freeze/thaw weather? I've got yet another dead ebike, under 100 miles, my third this winter. Total failure with no PA/throttle at all, and various errors on the display, I've had 42, 56 (not even possible according to any list I've seen) and most recently 30. I'm finding it hard to accept that I killed off two motors in just 28 and 82 miles, so I'm really thinking there has to be a better explanation...

Comment

• concrete
      concrete commented
      Editing a comment
      Considering that I've already had issues with two other displays, and have enough parts to confirm that the displays behave different kinds of incorrectly relative to each other (error 56 with one, error 30 with another, and won't even turn on with the last), I tried getting another of those first, a C965 this time. I'll know in 2-3 days whether that did anything.

• concrete
      concrete commented
      Editing a comment
      The weather warmed up in the last few days, and now I'm getting something new: error 63. I can't find any record of that error code ever having been achieved before... still thinking it's the controller, before I order a few new ones?

• kerrylaw7307
      kerrylaw7307 commented
      Editing a comment
      I built my wife an ebike with the C961 display last summer. She rode it all summer and fall. it then sat in the garage, in -10 degree weather, in iowa, for several months, then to Florida, on the beach for 2 weeks. All works well. Don think it is the display.

Hi, I am looking for 42T chain ring for BBS01 mid-drive with large offset. Stock chain ring 46t has about 9mm offset but it's not enough for reasonable chain line (from 10sp cassete 11/36 I am able to use currently only 8sp). I have seen 20mm offset chain ring for BBSHD but I guess it won't be compatible. What you would recommend to me ? I have tried smaller chain ring - 36t lekkie but as offset is zero (it's not around motor just next to him) = chain line is even worse.
    Last edited by martinw; 03-06-2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the BBS01 shares the same chainring pattern as the BBS02? I might be wrong on this though. We don't sell the BBS01 so I'm not super familiar with it.

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen a couple builds where they reworked the rear cassette eliminating a couple gears essentially creating an 8 or even a 5 speed but they kept the more important ones in the line up your bigges your smallest and a selection of mids. its not a perfect solution but it will get you going

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the BBS02 chain rings should fit the BBS01 just fine, and unfortunately that Italian vendor you already came across has the best offset - this one, at 14mm: http://www.ebikeclub.it/shop/en/acce...2t-bafang.html

Damned if I know where you can buy one now, I could use a pair of them too. When I tried purchasing the rings from the above site via Paypal, I get stuck with a, "can't ship to your address" message.

I wish Luna had made a two piece Eclipse style face for the BBS02 - maybe it wasn't possible or potentially profitable.
      Last edited by ncmired; 03-07-2019, 07:18 AM.

Can I take advantage of the Fourth Anniversary Special on the BBSHD when ordering the 100mm BB, or is the special limited to the 120mm version, as it appears on the order page ?
    Thanks.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      The 68mm and 100mm were previously part of the sale but have since run out of stock. The sale is over for those two sizes unfortunately :(
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM.

• MIKEinNC
      MIKEinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Bad timing. :(
      Last edited by MIKEinNC; 03-07-2019, 10:11 AM.

Hello,
    My bike frame doesn't have water bottle mounts and so I would drill 2 holes in the frame to mount the magnets for the wolf battery.
    The bike is a "Class 5" and the frame is declared as "Aluminium Light, Advanced Mechanical Forming, HPA" (complete info is on https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/mo...talnmint-2018/).

So, 3 questions:
    - Is it generally doable/safe to drill those holes?
    - If yes, do I drill just one side of the tube and expect that the screws will bite into the hole sufficiently (also held in place with ottolock), or I need to drill through the whole tube for easier mounting and prepare proper nuts that would accept screws on the magnets
    - Is there any difference if I choose to drill those holes on the diagonal tube (from BB to handlebar) or if I choose the underside of the horizontal tube (from handlebar to seat)

Thanks!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      I would recommend getting a local bike shop to do this for you if you explain it to them right. It's more than just drilling, you need to have a rivnut gun and install rivnuts into the holes.

Rivnuts - aluminum ones - here's some forum posts on the subject, and here's a Park Tool link. There are Youtube videos on the subject, too.

With that frame, are you thinking of mounting the battery on the bottom of the down tube? If so, I'd consider maybe three magnets for insurance, along with a velcro strap or two.

Or, maybe these would fit:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	687.6 KB ID:	83643

Last edited by ncmired; 03-08-2019, 08:31 AM.
    BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Hello,

I work for an ebike company and am still learning all of the different things that can go wrong and how to fix them. I have one customer who is using a Bafang BBS02 with a C961 display. Everything had been functioning perfectly on his bike, however now the Pedal Assist is acting goofy. He stated that it only kicks in on the downstroke of his drive side pedal. Has anyone heard of this issue or does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Thanks

Comment

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple other thoughts:

1.) Has the unit been reprogrammed - could the PAS timing been messed with?

2.) Maybe the PAS sensor connector (to the controller) needs to be re-seated (about the 2:55 point in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19tj9egnUbY)

Must be nice to be in the bike industry stronghold.

• RamboPat
        RamboPat commented
        Editing a comment
        The unit is roughly two years old. It was purchased from Rambo Bikes as an entire bike, not just a motor kit. I don't believe it has been reprogrammed as this started happening 3 miles into a ride, which is something else I should have noted. That is a good idea! I will have him reseat the cables in the controller and hope this solves it. If not, we can try a new controller.

It is pretty cool to be on this side of the industry and I am still learning from people's experiences with the different ebike components. These forums have taught me so much already. Thank you all for your information!

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Over here, we're kind of in the renegade, wild west side of the ebike world (as opposed to, say, the Riese & Müller (& Bosch) refined and sterile side)
        Last edited by ncmired; 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM.

What battery would you recommend for the Cyclone 3000 watt mid-drive? So far I was looking at the 72 volt 17.5 AH battery and the 52 volt 28 AH battery. Are these two good options?

Thanks,
      Vaughn

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you'll get a higher top speed with the 72v battery but less overall range. So either is fine but depends heavily on your preference over top speed or total range.

What is the weight capacity for 2 riders on the Luna Banana

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you'll be fine with someone who's around 200lbs + one 150-180 lb rider in the back. It mostly depends on what gear you're in when you're riding. So with more riders, you'll wanna stay in the low gears as much as possible.

Hi, I'm interested in the BBSHD you have on sale, but my bike is a Diamondback Overdrive ST medium frame that would not fit the battery pack where the bottle holder is. Is the cable for the the battery long enough to mount it in the back or do you have such rear mounting battery packs?

Can I pick it up locally to save on shipping since I live 20 min away?

Thanks

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends on the battery, some have longer cables than others. Specifically which battery? Also, just email support@lunacycle.com for local pickup instructions :)

52v Luna Wolf GA 13.5ah

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        The Wolf only has like a couple inches of lead on it since it was made to be put in frames. The motor will have like 10 inches or roughly. So it heavily depends on your bike. You can always get an XT90 leash extender.

https://lunacycle.com/custom-xt90-ba...able-extender/

• ntpphong@gmail.com
        ntpphong@gmail.com commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I didn't even noticed that there are only extra fat left. I guess I missed out.

Hi,

I bought a BBSHD controller and doesn't fit. Now I see there are tow versions: A and B. And I bought version A. Its possible to swap with version B? Do you have any dealers in UK? Thank you

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        No dealers in the U.K but you can return it for a full refund. Just email support@lunacycle.com with your order # and a description of the issue and they'll be able to help you out.

I bought a 52V Advanced 300W Ebike Charger from your site about 2 years ago for $79. Now the display doesn't 'work and the switch to change amps is broken. Do you sell these parts so that i can fix it? If not where can i buy them? In addition, I would like the best chainring for my BBSHD(purchased from Luna) so that my chain doesn't drop as much. I'm not too concerne\d with speed or torque i'm safisfied with that more about chain not falling.

Thanks,
      Maxp
      Last edited by Max-Ebike; 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, the parts to replace are not found individually. If you email support@lunacycle.com, they might be able to throw you a small discount code off a new charger.

If you're interested in choosing a different chainring with the BBSxx kit, you'll definitely want to take a look at our offset information guide on our forums. Since they all have different offsets, some are only best with proper spacing and a straight chainline. It's usually best to just go with the Default Stock Ring or 42T Luna Eclipse ring for the most reliable setup until you've judged what your chainline looks like first and what kind of potential spacing you can use for smaller or larger rings.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...inwheel-offset

Here's an example of a bad chainline using our Mighty Mini 30T improperly, This chainring is known to be the most problematic without proper spacing due to it's mostly flat design that doesn't offset the chain very much:

https://electricbike.com/forum/filed...2982&type=full

These types of issues can cause noise problems, chain wear, chainwheel rear which all lead to chain skipping/falling off and getting jammed up in the motor. Not good.

Does this American style eccentric BB to BSA adapter add any width to a 68mm bottom bracket ?

Comment

I purchased the following kit and have been in the process of installing it. My issue is that I cannot figure out how to mount the battery. Any suggestions? The pictures show a kit and I don't know if that is supposed to be purchased separately or if it is missing from what I ordered.

1 × Fourth Anniversary BBSHD Mid Drive Kit Special

OPTIONS

Choose Your Programming Level: Hot Rod Program (For Off Road Use Only)
      Bottom Bracket Size: 68mm-73mm (Standard)
      Display Options: Luna DPC18 Full Color Display $45.00
      Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle
      Optional Ebrake Cut Offs: Hydraulic and Disc Brake Sensors with Cut Off (Pair) $20.00
      Battery Options: 52v Luna Wolf GA 13.5ah $250.00 (Highly Recommended)
      Upgrade Your Included Charger: Luna Mini Variable Advanced Charger $45.00
      Install Spacers and Helpers (Highly Recommended): Luna Install Helper - Spacer and Adapter Kit $10.00
      Add Luna Tool for Installs for only $10.00: Luna Wrench $10.00
      Add
      aReccommended Gear Sensor: GearSensor for Derailers and Internal Geared Hubs $45.00

Comment

Working...
    X