Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received the cyclone 3000w 68 mm square taper kit and I have a couple of questions regarding hardware and installation.

In the installation videos the drive side bracket and tension bracket had tapered holes for use with flat head bolts. The holes in this kit are not tapered and the kit came with a 7 cm long round head and 10 cm long hex head bolt (as well as two additional 53 mm spacers). The 7 cm bolt is the correct length for use with the bracket but the 10 cm bolt configuration would not work without cutting down one of the longer spacers to make up the difference. Was the correct hardware supplied with this kit?

I also ordered the triple chainring. With the supplied parts, by installing the crank arm, the freewheel would be sandwiched between the bottom bracket and crank arm causing the freewheel to bind on the bb. It seems that there should be some sort of adapter to attach the threaded freewheel to the spindle/crank arm and keep it separated from the bottom bracket. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I feel I'm really missing something which should be obvious.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      IDK about the bolt (probably only ones in stock since this was just restocked would be my guess) but there is no adapter between the chainring and the bb shell. It does not bind because it does not go in that far, or at least it should not. I can take a picture of one mounted if it helps.

I’m traveling in our RV and am trying to charge my 52v mini battery with the Luna 52v Advanced charger. Every time I plug it in while using the 1000watt Pure Sine Inverter and solar or while using the 5000watt generator, it doesn’t appear to be charging. At first, the red led light and fan comes on with both readouts. Then the fan stops, the led turns to green and only the top readout is on which reads 58.6. I have turned the charger down to 3watts. Am I missing something?

Comment

• Lakejumper
      Lakejumper commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I decided to plug the battery on the bike and the Luna display read 100% charge! I must have been reading the voltage on the charger at 58.6. I’m curios why the percentage of charge didn’t read at 100%. N xt, I will charge the Wolf battery and see how it works.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      The 58.8 is not a % charge. It's the voltage reading of the battery at 58v which is the highest a 52v battery charges at. Also, the % gauge on your display is not accurate either. Do not rely on it. Only use voltage numbers & this chart guide to figure out your charge level.

https://electricbike.com/forum/filed...2&d=1521089057

• Lakejumper
      Lakejumper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HIGHVOLTAGE. I have the chart as a screenshot and will solely use it going forward. You guys are great with support!

Does the BBSHD Kit come with the brake levers with cut offs? I think they used to appear as an option but I don't see them listed anymore.

Comment

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      When I purchased my BBSHD last month from Luna they were an add on you would of had to add to your cart. They did used to include them as I recall but you still had to select the option. Probably a way to knock the price down for everyone as not everyone uses them.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Ebrakes are currently backordered. Should be restocked next week or so, as well as all motor sizes and lots of other goodies.

Hi trying to get my 6T Mac motor running with the supplied ASI controller. Motor is intermittent--sometimes OK. Other times, wheel starts to turn then stops abruptly. I'm starting to suspect it may be the two wire JST connector coming from the motor with white and black wires. The white wire appears to connect to an orange wire in the controller--which fell out of the female connector (bad crimp). The black wire appears not to connect to anything (see pic):

1-Could you please tell me: what is function of white wire coming from motor?
    2-What is supposed to connect to the orange wire coming from the controller (white wire, black wire, both?)
    3-Simple wiring diagrams if supplied with this product would make all this a lot easier...!

Thank you...pete

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1902.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	84028
    Attached Files

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't say off the top of my head what a particular wire does (email support) but if you are saying there is a bad connection I would agree that would be the likely cause. You could probably hardwire it if needed. If black was intentionally disconnected I would just leave it.

• Tommycat
      Tommycat commented
      Editing a comment
      All I could come up with...

http://accelerated-systems.com/files/BAC800-72-70.pdf

Perhaps you could check the pin-out... I'm thinking motor thermistor lead for temperature sensing?

• badrab
      badrab commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks both--I'll email support

My BBSHD has had mechanical failure at 5000 miles of hard riding. Trying to figure out which parts I need to replace. There is a lot of shaved metal in the gears, but not so obvious where it came from.

Here are some pictures:

Name:	B778F56B-934B-48D6-B6B8-82EA95DCA9E2.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	84042

Name:	C62C8569-BEEA-449A-949F-E2F36EF5FD1C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	84037Click image for larger version

Name:	7B1ED0AE-8159-4CA2-9785-C785D809CC21.jpeg
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	84038Click image for larger version

Name:	A4C194AE-3DA4-443E-A9C1-0E70CD7B333B.jpeg
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	84039Click image for larger version

Name:	A2A3E800-80EF-4C18-815E-45111A79B377.jpeg
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	84040
    Attached Files

Comment

Ah, I bet it's the motor part rather than gears. Probably the magnets and bearings. I'll open that part up as well.

Comment

Ok, I hooked up motor with gears removed and still it's grinding. Means that the core is bad. Now I just need to buy the right core and I should be good to go.
        Last edited by nswenson520; 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nswenson520 View Post
          Ok, I hooked up motor with gears removed and still it's grinding. Means that the core is bad. Now I just need to buy the right core and I should be good to go.
          Ok, it's more than just the core. The bearings and shaft failed on the core which stressed the steel gear and pinion. I will need core, steel gear, pinion, plus all the metal shavings put extra wear on all components. The shavings are actually from the steel gear that didn't completely fail, but the teeth are worn down due to continued riding with compromised core bearings and shaft. Probably better to just replace the entire motor, $500 at Luna.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I would just get a Bare Bones Motor though instead. That way you can at least use the damaged one for spare parts.

Didn't look you had greased this one at all though since you got it. Might wanna do that this time before you even ride the unit. Especially if you ride hard.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-and-greasing

Hello to everyone,
          I just got my Luna banana and the throttle and peddle power has stopped working everytime after about 2-5 min. after I start riding. I was only able to ride it maybe a mile before this issue started. I know issue happen but I'm hoping to fix the issue without having it take another week before I'm able to take another ride. Any ideas please. I have the Luna banana ludacris setup.
          Last edited by William Mann; 03-17-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            Are there any error codes on the display? Is your speed sensor reading the magnet on the back wheel?

No codes and the speed sensor is reading unless you run the magnet over it in reverse. The battery is charged as well.

Comment

I also unplugged the gear or shift sensor and went on a test ride and it did the same. Also everytime I restart all the settings are reset like a fresh start. Is that normal?
            Last edited by William Mann; 03-17-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              Check your connection between the battery & the motor. It's the Wolf Pack isn't it? Check the XT90 connector to make sure it isn't coming loose. Same with anything else.

Also, what is the charge level of your pack?

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you saying the display died or the motor simply stopped providing acceleration?

Were you pedaling while throttling, or just using one or the other? Typically you got to pick either throttling or pedaling otherwise it won't accelerate, though this should not cut display power

Yes I've done that as well. I even checked the pins to see if they some how got lose as well as moving wires around to see if a wire could possibly be broken in anyway. One thing I've noticed is that it acts the same way as if something is over heating and causing a loss of power. Also after letting it cool the power isn't as it was the first time I used it. When I lift the rear wheel off the ground the throttle comes and goes before it totally stops till I let it cool again.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              Well that wouldn't make much sense since there's no temperature sensor within the motor and most of the heat originates from the motor core side from the copper windings getting too hot and electric motors don't really need to "cool off" per say like a car engine does. Once something is hot enough to melt wire or plastic, that's all she blows. Until that happens, there should be no difference in your power levels. Also it shouldn't be overheating either, does it feel hot to the touch?

Take a picture of your XT90 connector for us. You're 100% sure there's no Error Codes? If there's no error codes, this should be more related to a power issue, where the battery isn't able to provide power to the motor. Usually cause of a connection issue between the battery & motor like a bad XT90 connector or a loose one.

What was the charge level of your battery? What is the voltage of the battery when it does this? You're sure the battery is fully charged?
              Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 03-17-2019, 06:37 PM.

I truly hope it's not the controller already. If so I'm going to ask Luna if they will let me get the warranty I didn't buy. I really wish I bought it now even though they cover the bike 30 days. But I'm really starting to think the controller is shot in some way in the few days I have had it. Really in the first few hours after I got it. I have no worry's with them fixing what needs fixed. They back the products they sell from what I've seen and read about. That's why I bought the bike I got from them.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              You're kinda not answering my questions here and making a bunch of assumptions. Does the XT90 connector look good? What was the battery charge level at? They're probably gonna ask you these same questions too so it's good to check on this stuff.

The XT90 looks fine and the battery is fully charged. I stated that in my previous post with the battery. I've also disconnected items to pinpoint the issue by process of elimination. I would check wiring more but I don't have a wiring diagram and I don't want to go too far because I just got the bike.
            Last edited by William Mann; 03-17-2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah but a picture of the connector would really help here. And what was the charge level of the battery? What voltage was it at? If you were at like 35-38v, you'll get constantly cut-offs and power level differences similar to how you're describing until it just shuts off.

You can follow this troubleshooting guide here btw

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02

It's at 56-57 volts.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm, that's really strange. I wonder if the display is failing? Did you try bypassing it? The link I gave you previously should have a guide for it .Or if you have a programming cable, you can just plug it in place of the display to see if the same thing happens.
          Working...
          X