Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, hope all is well. I have just bought a Kelly sine wave controller (KLS7218S) and am in the process of wiring it up and rebuilding the bike around the new hardware. My question is, has anyone had any experience in the wiring up process of these controllers? Because in the manual Kelly make the point (2 or 3 times) of stating that they highly recommend you wiring the controllers up with a suitable fuse and an appropriate Heavy Duty contactor, pre charge resistor and a diode to protect the controller from sparking and current flow back damage caused when turning the controller on and off. Has anyone set this up before? Did you use the suggested method with contactor etc or has anyone wired up these controllers without all the extras and without any dramas or circuitry damage? Hope that all makes sense and any suggestions/help would be muchly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Comment

• AlanKilian
      AlanKilian commented
      Editing a comment
      I wired up a Kelly KEB controller using the precharge resistor and recommend contactor
      The only problem I have is that the contactor draws almost 1 Amp from the battery whenever it's energized and gets fairly hot, so I'll look for a better contactor someday.

I do not have a fuse installed. I'm hoping the BMS in the LubaCycle battery is paying attention all the time. :-)

• Millsy32
      Millsy32 commented
      Editing a comment
      AlanKilian, thanx for the reply. Yeh I have noticed that the contactors are quite expensive (especially the 72volt ones), in comparison to the rest of the components. FYI I emailed Kelly LLC regarding this question and they basically told me that you wire up the kit excluding the contactors etc "at ur own risk" (so obviously voids any warranty) but it can be done. Dont think im willing to risk all the effort thats already gone into the bike.

Hi,
    I recently pulled apart my motor (Bbs02b 750w) to try to remedy a horrible grinding sound. I discovered there were the shattered remains of a lock ring between the nylon gear and the motor housing. I removed all the fragments and swapped out the gear just in case, but I am unable to locate the lock ring I would need to replace the shattered one. I have been directed towards you in this regard and was hoping you could advise me on this matter.
    Is it vital I replace this lock ring? If so, where can I get one? And finally, where is it meant to go?
    Thanks in advance
    Jacob

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that's the circlip. Pretty standard part you can find if you need another. If you check out the knowledge base rebuild docs you can find a lot of info on how to do the rebuild along with pics of each part in the process

I'm looking to purchase the 68-73mm BBSHD kit when it is once again in stock but am trying to figure out why the 48v Shark battery isn't one of the options on the web page?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      48 shark is out of stock so the option is autohidden. Standard bbshd should be restocked couple weeks.

My first middrive is done and very disappointed its a KHS 650 plus with a BBSHD from Luna I am running a 8 speed rear 11t smallest shifts fine with a Luna eclipse 36t front using the stock DPS -7 display Luna hot rod programmed its top speed in all gears is 15mph I was expecting more like 28 to 30 mph in high gear top speed . I am using Luna 52v wolf pack everything is brand new am I wrong to expect faster top speed???? thanks

Comment

• ncrkd
      ncrkd commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for the troubles - got to be frustrating, but hopefully a minor issue is holding things up.

How many watts are you drawing at 15MPH (in a high gear), according to the display? Does the bike feel like it loses power just as you reach the top speed - if so, I'd verify that the speed limit in the display advanced settings is set to 99.
      Last edited by ncrkd; 08-05-2019, 01:22 PM.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Check your speed limit in the display to make sure it's not set to 15.

Any date on 48v Shark inventory?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably a few weeks. We do have 52v wolf as an alternative if that works for you.

It probably would but there are no advanced chargers available for it. The basic charger just won't do it.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally I would just cut off the xlr on the basic and wire up xt60 but I get what you mean. If you did want to do that we sell solder sleeves and xt60 pigtails sets which make this easy

Has anyone experienced a Sur Ron MX with upgraded X controller speedometer turn on but not register a speed? Ive asked luna cycle but no response yet.
    I just bought this bike 2 days ago and is a blast, worth every penny but....... i want everythi g to work as intended. Lets see how they stand by their products.
    speedo comes on with the key but i get zero speed reading when riding. Anyone know how to fix?
    thanks,
    Newbie Uncle P.

Comment

• Uncle P
      Uncle P commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to but I'm down in san diego so its like a 4 hr round trip. Plus Ive got a pretty tight schedule so being able to get away just to pick up the bike was a pretty nice treat for me as it is. Would love to fix at home if i can just need a little guidance. I did test the wires and checked the connection using an ohm meter, all good there. Support finally got back to me and said its probably a speed sensor and asked me to wait till Seb got back in the office next week. Opened a new support ticket for him and am hoping they can give me some phone support. Maybe its as easy as a sensor swap. Ill let you know next week what it turns out to be.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay Seb just got back so I expect you should hear back from him next day or two.

• Uncle P
      Uncle P commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great cause my OCD will kick in soon and ill be itching to fix the speedo

Hi I just got my Sur Ron X today and have a couple questions

1. Was the blue wire supposed to have been cut already? Mine was cut.

2 are the axle nuts supposed to be clockwise to tighten on one side and counter clockwise on the other side? Mine are righty righty on both sides.

3. It’s maxing out with a 150lb person at 31mph in sport mode, is that correct?

I appreciate your your response to this!

thanks

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean the green/black wire? Some came cut and some did not since there were multiple versions that we had in stock.
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...4759#post74759

Basically if it arrived cut, then join it together. If it arrived with the wire intact, cut it.

Not too sure on the axle nuts, they might have changed that. May want to use some blue loctite on them, those things are like unobtainium

Generally speaking you should be able to go faster than that in sport mode when you have it properly hotrodded. It does depend to some extent on stuff like what size sprocket you are running etc, but if you mod that wire you will get it to go faster, or at least higher torque

The 850C display spec. lists a USB port, say to charge a cell phone. I don’t see one on mine. Is there some secret, hidden place? Thanks
    Tommy

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Only when the display is lit.

• tommyn
      tommyn commented
      Editing a comment
      Any way to extend the time of the display being lit when not riding? I set the time to tha max but this is only some minutes. Thanks
      Tommy

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a function for auto-off, whether you want it at ten minutes, fifteen etc. Set that to disabled.
      Keep in mind this does mean that anyone can just walk up to your bike and start riding, so not exactly ideal.

Hi can you recommend a hydraulic break replacement for the mechanical breaks on the Luna Folding bike? thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Any hydros should do. Shimano Slx is nice

Good Morning! I test rode two Luna Cycles at the factory yesterday and was very impressed with the overall build quality and performance. However, the PAS felt a little unnatural with a few instances where the motor kept powering after I had stopped pedaling, or while in mid turn as I adjusted my footing. Ideally, I'd like a more natural, intuitive feel for the power application. Maybe there's adjustments that can be made? What do you suggest? Is there an upgrade available to install a more sensitive torque sensor in addition to or replacing the cadence sensor? Is there a brake cutoff available as well?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately pedal assist cannot be upgraded in that manner for these bikes, you'll need to get a bike that has a dedicated torque sensor already. Brake cut-offs can be purchased off the website but it's probably best to just leave them unplugged as you can use your normal brakes just fine with the motor.

Hello Luna,

I'm interested in the Double Gear / Double Torque Motor. I am looking to build a no-pedal electric moto. I need to understand range though - what will be my approx range for different battery types? Also, what kind of speed am i looking at? I'm thinking I will lace this to a 20"x4" rim. I weigh 160lbs.

Are there places where I can read in depth experiences with this motor?

I like the fact that Luna has the kits, so if I understand what I need, I will probably order from you guys!

Thanks!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Range is practically impossible to estimate for each customer. It depends heavily on your riding style, terrain, wind conditions and how much accelerating/stopping you'll be doing on the ride. We give an average range rating for each of the packs on the website. Typically a 10ah battery will get you about 20miles under good conditions.

For top speed, it'll be about 25-30mph give or take depending on wind conditions

My new BBSHD Version B controller from Luna doesn't have the wires for the light that my old controller had. What's the best way to connect a light that gets turned on with the display night mode?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll need to find a seller who sells the controller with the light connector. Luna chooses to use the Gear Sensor instead since you can always just use a rechargeable portable light as an alternative to having it directly wired to the motor.

• peoe
      peoe commented
      Editing a comment
      My original controller has both gear sensor and light connector.

Afternoon,

I was cycling along fine and without warning my bbshd motor went "clunck" the pedals would no longer rotate in a clockwise direction. anticlockwise was fine but nothing clockwise. as if i was standing on a fully welded pedal!

I have stripped the motor down and it seems the only possible problem is that the rotor has too much play in its bearings, allowing itself to magnetize to the stater, is this possible? have you heard of this problem before?

Thanks,
    Ian

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems unlikely but some pics might help. Does throttle work?

I’m looking for a controller that used to be on your website but now I can’t find it. It might actually be the stock cyclone controller? 40 amp 48-72v Stock Controller. I had bookmarked it several weeks ago and just went back to it today to buy it but the link was broken. I’m looking for a controller that is 72v at 40 A for 3000 W total for a fat tire E bike that I’ve built. Thanks for any help or direction you may be able to point me in I had bookmarked it several weeks ago and just went back to it today to buy it but the link was broken. I think the cost was 49.99 or $59.99. Thanks for any help or direction you may be able to point me in.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I think shop removed it from the site for some reason, sorry. Might be available again at some point but I can't say for sure.
Working...
X