Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased saturday will it ship today? Im headed to the Mountains Saturday David Hibler Order #84064

Thx Dave

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sur-Ron shipments typically go out every Friday as noted in the support notes on the listing. It will not ship today, sorry.

I saw 3 to 5 days nothing about Fridays....... Im in reno only a few hours away

thanks Dave

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Best to be patient as it'll come eventually.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Friday shipping for Sur-Ron is directly on the Sur-Ron listing at the bottom.

But if you are saying you want to drive over and pick it up, that is certainly doable. We would need to know sooner rather than later if that is the case.

Just got my bike. So excited to ride.

How long does it take to charge the battery usually?
    Should I charge the bike outside?
    The charger has a dial with numbers 1-5. It came to me set to 5. Is that a charge speed setting? Is it safe to charge the battery for the first time on 5? The manual that came with the charger doesn't cover this dial in any detail as far as I could tell.
    When the charger manual talks about storing of batteries, is that long term storage or a few days between uses? Can I charge to 100% and use the bike in a few days? Or does that count as "storage"

Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard to say how long it will take to charge as I don't know what model you have.. if it is 12ah that is 12 amp hours. Which means if you could hypothetically charge or discharge a battery at 12 amps continuously, it would be full or empty as the case may be. At 5A you would be at 100% around 2.2hours.

But yes, that 1-5 is a speed setting. Generally you want to charge as slow as is acceptable for your purposes. Sure you can charge first time at 5.

For a more complete explanation on things like how charge speed and charge percentage affects cycle life as well as storage and other tips and tricks, I would recommend to start on the intro bike documentation page in the knowledge base and just read the linked articles. Lots of good stuff there explaining things.
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...n-introduction

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      The 1-5 numbers are amps.

What was recommended to me was to charge at the lowest amp that is convenient.

I believe Luna recommends charging the first few charges to 100% to balance the batteries.

You should wait an hour after charging to ride and and a hour after use to charge.

I think I read somewhere that storage would be if your battery is going to sit unused for a week or more.

Of course your battery will charge quicker on 5 than 1.

That's going to vary by the size of your battery.

My 12 ah takes an hour to 2 on 5 and can take almost 10 hours on 1.

If I know I'm going to use my bike tomorrow I put it on 1 and let it charge slowly.

Most important: Plug your Charger in First then Plug in your battery. You can charge while the battery is connected to the bike.

I always make sure the bike is Powered Off when charging and never turn it on while the battery is charging. Don't know if that's a thing or not.

It has been discussed here that your battery will last longer if you do not fully charge it each time. But you would still charge it periodically to 100% to balance your batteries.

I've also been told just charge it to 100% everytime and Ride it!

Do what works for you on that front. I find I'm using almost a full battery for 15 miles so I have been charging to 100%.

It's recommended not to discharge your battery below 20%. I try not to go below 25%. I needed more range so I bought a 2nd battery.

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      When the Fan shuts off your battery will be done charging. Even if you set your charger on 5 it will finish charging at a lower amperage. Dont be alarmed just wait for it to finish.

Anyone know the discharge lead wire length on the Wolf pup pack? I'd like to add this secondary pack to my Luna Alite Wolf 2018 bike. Just trying to figure out if I need to buy a "leash" or cut off the plug and splice in my own longer lead/plug. It'd be ideal if the existing plug would reach the motor connection but it looks too short in the pictures. Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It is very short, less than a couple inches but I do not have specifics at this time as it is a very new product.

bikeangeles, yes the 1-5 setting is the amperage or speed setting. I set mine on 2 or 3 and generally stay with the the 80% setting. If I'm going on a long ride immediately after taking off the charger I might go to 100%. I figure it's better to be conservative and get double the battery life since they are so expensive. Set yours on 2 or 3 and 80% and see what you get - I think you'll be pleased with the range and you'll be nurturing your battery. Keep your battery's voltage between 47.5V and 55.4V and it will last a lot longer. What model /combo did you get?

Comment

• bikeangeles
      bikeangeles commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks! I got the lone wolf 680+.

What is the thickness of the Wolf Pup? What is the angle on its ends? Apparently only length and height are given. This description really should be improved. Thanks
    Tom

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Not too sure, it is still such a new product. Will be a while before we get a proper dimensional drawing, sorry for the inconvenience.

Originally posted by garyinco View Post
    bikeangeles, yes the 1-5 setting is the amperage or speed setting. I set mine on 2 or 3 and generally stay with the the 80% setting. If I'm going on a long ride immediately after taking off the charger I might go to 100%. I figure it's better to be conservative and get double the battery life since they are so expensive. Set yours on 2 or 3 and 80% and see what you get - I think you'll be pleased with the range and you'll be nurturing your battery. Keep your battery's voltage between 47.5V and 55.4V and it will last a lot longer. What model /combo did you get?
    I got the Lone White Wolf 680+ with the ludicrous mod and 13.5ah battery. I live at the top of a long steep hill and hope to tow my kids in a trailer with the bike!

Comment

I see that the X Controllers are out of stock. Do you know when they will be back in stock? I'm interested in purchasing another Sur Ron MX and I noticed that your supply (red, green, blue, etc) changes daily. Are you getting new shipments that quickly? I'm interested in the grey color.

Also, I've heard there will be 3 different versions (all progressively faster) that will be coming out this year (2020 version). Can you verify this?
      Last edited by mtwill54; 08-20-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, don't have eta for that controller, might be a while.

Yes the colors available will continue to vary until all are sold out. Not many left in stock for any of the MX colors left but the shop is adding a few here and there after doing inventory cycle count. Like if someone cancels an order before it ships we would still have the bike so it ends up added back to inventory eventually. I doubt we will be getting more MX, probably more likely all the future models will be X but who knows.

I do not have info on unreleased products sorry.

• mtwill54
        mtwill54 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ideally I want an X version of the Sur Ron, but I don't want to purchase an MX and wait for an X Controller. Also the only color you have for the X version is black, which I'm not interested in. So I'm will to wait for a new X version, especially if they have different color selections.

• pure_mahem
        pure_mahem commented
        Editing a comment
        It should probably be noted in a few of the youtube videos Eric recently put out he talked a lot about Black...as Henry Ford said "You can have it in any color you like as long as it's black!"

Originally posted by tommyn View Post
      What is the thickness of the Wolf Pup? What is the angle on its ends? Apparently only length and height are given. This description really should be improved. Thanks
      Tom
      If you have the product in hand, just measure the overall length (from bottom corner horizontally to point under top right corner):and the thickness and I would be glad to send you a sketch.

Best,

Tommy

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not have the product in hand, I work remote about a thousand miles from the shop.
        If it helps the cells are 70mm. So the width is probably a little over 3 inches when wired up and potted.

I'm figuring out a daily commuter e-bike solution and here is what my current plan is -- buy a new Cannondale Trail 6 with 29's and install a BBSHD kit.

My questions:
      1) My 1 way commute will be approx 16 miles (going from Fremont, CA to Menlo Park/Palo Alto across the Dumbarton Bridge). For best battery health, would it be best to try to recharge once a day at night = approx 32 miles daily round trip. Or should I recharge when I get to work after ~ 16 miles = charge 2x a day.
      2) Is the 52V Luna Liquid Wolf V2 a good option - and do you think I could do the ~ 32 mile roundtrip on a single charge?
      3) Is the 52v 3amp Luna Mini Charger a good option if I don't care about fast charging? I'm fine waiting several hours to fully recharge.

I've never ridden an e-bike so I'm not sure how much will be my pedal power. I'd like to get a moderate workout in when it's not super hot out. Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        If you get it with the 13.5ah option then yes I think that should work for that range, though you might want to dial down the current or try a more efficient config profile. Kind of depends how much you are pedaling and what gear you have it in, what speed you are going etc.

For best battery life you want to not have a high depth of discharge. See this page for what I mean
        https://www.electricbike.com/how-to-...-battery-last/

Yes the mini would be a good option.

• eric_ric
        eric_ric commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it, thanks. Sounds like ideal plan would be to charge to 80% after morning 16 miles, and then back to 80% at night after my ride home 16 miles.

In that case, I think I'll get two mini chargers so I can leave one at work.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Ideally yes that would be the way to go.

If you ride with some good knowledge under your belt then sure, you may double or even triple your cycle life. It really comes down to how you use it to a certain extent. Like with hybrids or electric cars they call it 'hypermiling', same basic concept of optimizing usage to get every last bit of performance out of your lithium. Not strictly necessary of course, but given the right level of attentiveness all sorts of things are possible, or at least hypothetically.

I have a Cannondale MT1000 tandem in excellent condition and I'm looking to make it electric. Done a ton of looking - mid-drive seems attractive, but complicated on a tandem. Rear drive looks OK, but not sure what will give me necessary power and torque. Looks like it would be easy to mount 2 batteries for range, if necessary. Kinda wish there was a 12T rear Mac motor. Is mid-drive BBSHD under captains crank possible without the stokers pedals turning? Can any of the rear drive/hub options be used in throttle only? Please give me your recommendation or suggestions. Thank you!

Comment

Hello there, I just received my order (83902) It is a Mini charger 48v. I wired up a xlr connector and plugged charger into one of my shark packs and it works great! My problem is when I plug it into my triangle pack the charger is cycling on and off. What should I do?

Comment

• R3NEGADE exe
        R3NEGADE exe commented
        Editing a comment
        It did not come with an adapter.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay I have made a work order for one to be shipped to you, you should see tracking emailed to you within few business days. It just plugs on the end of the xt60 between that and any additional adapters you may be using for your particular battery.

• R3NEGADE exe
        R3NEGADE exe commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much!

How the hell do you order a part when nobody answers the phone and the chat just leaves you hanging because I dont have an order number . Did I do wrong when I didn't buy it from you ? It's not like I'm asking you to replace anything I just want to buy a type B controller and get it by Monday so I can go on vacation . Its a simple part and I need it yesterday , which I tried , but no answer just a prerecorded message that not understandable . Yeah , I know this is in the wrong spot but where the hell is the right spot ?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Orders typically have a 3-5 business day processing time before they go out. We can't really rush orders to make deadlines unfortunately since it causes problems with the shop and creates more delays for other customers. However nothing should be stopping you from ordering this part off the website. I don't think you need chat or phone to do that.

Hi! I recently purchased the Luna Charger 48V Advanced 300W to charge the 48v battery on my Mate X 750, which I (unfortunately) backed on IGG in Sept 2018 (still waiting on delivery of the bike, but wanted to be prepared beforehand for my first charge). I purchased the Luna charger after other backers of the Mate X reported the generic charger supplied with the bike was overheating, smoking, and/or burning out after a few minutes.

The Mate battery requires a RCA connector, which is the reason for my post. Does anyone know where I can source a quality RCA connector that I can splice into the Luna Charger? (the XT60 supplied with the Luna will not work) Apparently when the RCA connector supplied with the bikes touches the battery, it throws off a huge spark, which scares the crap out of me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version  Name:	MateSmokingCharger.jpg Views:	2 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	92141Click image for larger version  Name:	MateBatteryBurn.jpg Views:	2 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	92142Click image for larger version  Name:	MateRCA.jpg Views:	2 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	92143

Attached Files
      Last edited by MikeyP; 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• ncrkd
        ncrkd commented
        Editing a comment
        Does it arc this bad with the charger unplugged from the wall? Other than adding an additional inline, spark-arresting connector pair (like the XT90) and using this new pair when charging, I don't know offhand what you could do.

What do the self-promoting, really cool Christian Adel Michael and Julie Kronstrøm Carton say about the issues (failing chargers and arcing RCA AUDIO connectors)?
        Last edited by ncrkd; 08-22-2019, 12:39 PM.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Just cut off the RCA connector from the generic charger. Then using that connector, form an XT60 to RCA adaptor out of some wiring

Then whenever you're going to charge the battery, plug the RCA adaptor side in first and then connect the XT60 leads together (which will spark but no big deal since they can be replaced)

Or do that but instead use XT90-S instead of XT60's and you won't get any sparking at all.

I have a Tern Vektron D8 with a Bafang Max M400 (G330.250) that I would like to get more performance from. Do you have any drop-in replacements for the G330.250? I understand that your Max-Ultra won't fit. If I buy a DPC-18 display to replace the stock display, can i use the default PIN to change to speed limit from 20mph to 30mph? Also, using your programming cable, can I bump up the current limit to get a few more Watts from the motor?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Not too sure. I work remotely so would need to ask shop and get back to you. Probably mid range components. You can see the shifter a bit more in the video on the listing. Might be worth noting that the video was made when we were building with 6ah rather than the 12ah now. So currently the range is actually double what was in that video ;)

• billd
        billd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I watched the video but couldn't see what the components are. Two more questions. Is the BBS02 on this the upgraded Luna model with the beefy 3077 MOSFETs, and unlocked to allow full power? Also, what is the chainring? Is it 52T? With those 20" tires it would be nice to have a larger chainring.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is the latest controller and it has 25 amps peak current. Not too sure of which chain ring size is being used but probably one of the larger sized ones since you are correct it would be ideal. Presumably you can look at the picture and count the teeth on it.
    Working...
    X