Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding my bike tonight, nearly full charged, when the battery percent on the display flatlined and lost power. As I was pedaling when this happened, it went up to 32% and then back to 0%. At this point I power cycled, and it showed the correct battery remaining, and lifting up the seat, it still powered via throttle and pedal. However I leaned down next to the mid drive and it has a burnt smell. What happened?

Luna Lone Wolf, 52v shark pack, 2500w ludicrous motor

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Check that you fully plugged in the battery. If not, you may have burned out the resistor and would want to use the other xt90 for future use. An explanation of how the connector can get damaged is shown in more detail here

Just ordered a BBSHD to put on a 2015 Salsa Mukluk. How many spacers do I need to make the chainring clear the chain stays. Anything other parts you'd recommend?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      We don't have info specific to particular frames sorry, you will need to take measurements.

A gearsensor can be a good addition if you have not purchased that with the kit

I have one of the first Luna Wolf 52v packs its about a year and half old, and has been amazing. I have charged it exclusively with the Advanced Luna 300W Ebike Charger.

In the last month, I first noticed that when set to 100% charge and 1Amp the charge was stopping in the 55v range instead of it's normal 58v full 100% charge. A few charges later, the charge cycle would not even begin at all, then I attempted raising the Amp setting and it has been working. So the only way to get the charger to start charging now is to set it to 4 or 5 Amps. (I understand that charging with this high Amp setting can hurt the lifetime of the pack)

Does this sound like my Charger is going bad? Or is the Pack just getting old? and requires a higher amp setting to take a charge now?

In any event how will I know my battery is just done?

Comment

Are you expecting a shipment of 170mm Lekkie Buzz Bars anytime soon?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      They are on order but Lekkie takes forever to do production runs. Could be months.

In preparation for the arrival of my new Direwolf battery I just ordered, I want to be able to rivnut some more threaded battery attachment points to my aluminum alloy frame.

Is there a recommended rivnut gun for that, that will work well on bikes? I ask because some of the ones I see on Amazon look like they would be too bulky to fit in a bike triangle to get a flush angled rivnut on the inside of the downtube.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      There are Right Angle Rivet Guns you can find, just Google :)

With your new magnetic mount batteries, how do I secure it against theft? With the rails, you can lock it with a key but with a magnetic rail anyone can tilt it and steal it.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      This thing:

https://lunacycle.com/ottolock-kevlar-strap-lock/

Although I would just bring a backpack and keep it with me tbh. If a thief wants your bike, even the lock design won't prevent him/her from just breaking it off the frame by tilting it sideways with enough force.

Originally posted by spacemanmatt View Post
    Riding my bike tonight, nearly full charged, when the battery percent on the display flatlined and lost power. As I was pedaling when this happened, it went up to 32% and then back to 0%. At this point I power cycled, and it showed the correct battery remaining, and lifting up the seat, it still powered via throttle and pedal. However I leaned down next to the mid drive and it has a burnt smell. What happened?
    Luna Lone Wolf, 52v shark pack, 2500w ludicrous motor
    paxtana I looked again at the battery and the connector in daylight. The male end is blackened slightly on one metal terminal, and its female counterpart on the battery has burnt plastic. However it's important to note that both halves of this connector AND the middrive motor smell burnt. Also, you mentioned using another connector. My bike did not come with a backup. I only have fuses for the Umini charger. I purchased warranty on parts last month when I bought this bike. Would this cover taking it to a local ebike shop to have it serviced professionally? Can the bike be ridden either with assist or manual pedaling (system powered off) in the mean time?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      All the Wolf batteries come with a backup, for both charge and discharge. By default the unused ports have 3d printed caps on them. See this picture to see the back where the wires are. Those darker parts are capped off. Just pull the cap off to expose the other connectors

You probably should replace the xt90 on the controller side as well before using it though, if it's blackened or otherwise damaged.

As to the motor smelling burnt it is likely you are just smelling the grease or maybe the smell from the xt90 is too overpowering to smell the connector, I can't say. Unlikely the motor burnt up though. If that resistor burns up it just cuts power, it does not short out the motor.

Which Lone Wolf did you buy? Pretty sure most of the listings link directly to the intro manual that explains you need to fully plug in the battery..physical damage is not really a warranty issue. I would highly advise to fully read the intro guide as there are lots of other important pieces of info about how to use this bike https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...n-introduction

Yes the bike can be ridden manually in the meantime.

Re: BBSHD install on a Cannondale Trail 6 - I added 2 of the 5 bolt spacers between the motor and chainring to get the chain lined up. My concern now is that even though the Luna faceplate came with longer stainless steel allen bolts, they don't have as much threaded length gripping the motor as I'd like. Does Luna sell longer stainless steel bolts for the securing chainring to the motor? If not, can I please find out the specs so I can order from a place like Bolt Depot. I looked at Home Depot and they didn't have the right thread pitch.

Another question - I ordered 2 Luna 52V mini chargers (to go with my Wolf 52V) and I only have the manual for 1 in front of me and am I crazy or is this chart wrong? I thought the other copy of the paper manual listed the correct chart showing 100% = 58.8V ?

That chart has me stumped -- this says for a 48V that 100% is 54.6V, so I don't know what that chart could be accurate for?
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ging-batteries
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eric_ric; 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not seen a bolt in that position shear ever but sure you can get other bolts. Take your calipers and measure the diameter of the bolt you want, it is metric. So if it is 5mm in diameter that is an m5 bolt. Now measure the length, or the length you want, excluding the head. So if you need 20mm length (of the threaded section) that would be m5 x 20mm bolt.

Yes the chart is wrong, it was copied over from one of the other voltages that the charger was built for.

I purchased a used bike with the bafang 1000 watt motor and 52 volt 13.5 amp battery everything works great, except It will not show miles to go. Do you have any ideas how fix this problem?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure what you mean by miles to go?

can u call please 2 week old bike battery wont hold charge dave 775- 830-0730 order#84064

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure we'll give you a call.

Hello!
    just got a DJ folding bike. Want to increase speed a bit. Should I replace the controller? Any other hardware upgrades to juice it up a bit? (I carry a lot of luggage, lol!)
    Bafang hub motor, 750 watt 48 V.

https://dj-ebikes.com/collections/be...=7065583648822
    Last edited by Yourpaldan; 09-05-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If you want more speed you will probably need a different bike, modding factory built ebikes for better performance is typically not practical as the limiting factor is both the controller and the battery.

OK - new to everything here so up front sorry if I'm not following the rules - just let me know how to properly proceed...

I have 5 successful charges on my Luna Wolf pack using the Luna mini charger connected to my Cyclone and I love the setup.

Unfortunately I was late to work today and ran the battery down a bit too far I guess because the pack shut down :0(

I connected the charger and I can hear the relay in the charger instantly clicking and both LEDs turn off. A few moments later the lights come back on, the relay clicks and both LEDs turn off - this process cycles continuously.

I did some quick forum searches about jumpstarting the battery for a few seconds but the posts I found were for the Shark pack, not the Wolf pack. I really don't want to kill my $500 purchase after 5 charges as that would not be a good $ :: fun ratio.

My plan is to try jumpstarting the pack for a few seconds through the XT-90 connector via the xt-60 on the charger through some wires - is this the recommended approach? What can I expect?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The clicking is slow charging. Leave it plugged into the charger and it will do this for several hours, then it will get past the threshold and start charging at normal speed. Or if you were given the adapter that's like a black barrel with xt60 on both ends, plug this into the end of the charger.

I need chain wheel with 1/2 inch deeper dish to fit a trike.

Comment

Eric kind of mentioned in some past videos that the shop only uses one type of chain for durability because it seems to last. My 10 speed bike came with a KMC X10SL SILVER and I carry the same chain as a spare. But I would like to know which chain Luna actually recommends running with their BBSHD units.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If you want durability the best chain is always going to be the biggest, i.e. the chains built for lower speed. I find 9spd to be the sweet spot between having a thick chain and having access to good derailers and shifters, since seems like the lower you go in chain speed the lower the quality in compatible shifting components.

12 hours on the charger still 33 % pls help was going out this weekend checked with a meter omn all connectors 0 volts where ami suppose to check? Thx Dave

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not know the details of what you discussed with our phone agent but if you need further assistance email us at support@lunacycle.com
Working...
X