Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm upgrading my Trek Marlin 5 into electric and was hoping to get the Cyclone 3000w but unfortunately they are out of stock and was told 2-3 weeks before they might be in stock or maybe not even that. I'm not sure I can wait that much longer on my current Electric Bike that sounds like it's about to fall apart. Is there any alternative to the Cyclone 3000w? I can't use the 7500w because it needs to be a fat bike. The mini cyclones wont work because it used max of 52v batteries and I was looking at a 60v or 72v battery. =/

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      no not really... honestly the 3000w cyclone is in a class of its own... the good news is luna has them back in stock and after assembling all the drives will add them back to inventory.

Originally posted by Valmek View Post
    I'm upgrading my Trek Marlin 5 into electric and was hoping to get the Cyclone 3000w but unfortunately they are out of stock and was told 2-3 weeks before they might be in stock or maybe not even that. I'm not sure I can wait that much longer on my current Electric Bike that sounds like it's about to fall apart. Is there any alternative to the Cyclone 3000w? I can't use the 7500w because it needs to be a fat bike. The mini cyclones wont work because it used max of 52v batteries and I was looking at a 60v or 72v battery. =/
    I am not aware of an alternative.

If it were me, I would wait for it on a back order situation (pay the vendor and get on the list). I do this a lot with ebike parts. I have waited up to four months for the parts or labor that I wanted. I wait up to 3-4 months for frames, 2-4 months for motors, 1-2 months for rims, 1-4 months for powder coating, 1-2 months for electrical work; this is par for the course, at least for me.

Design the ebike that you want, with no compromises, and then make it work somehow (e.g. going over budget, waiting on parts or labor, solving seemingly impossible mechanical or electrical problems). Just my opinion.

It sucks waiting, though; I feel for ya.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Dumb question, but I cannot seem to find the answer. I ordered a Luna Alite Hardtail with the BBSHD motor. Will that come programmed at 1500W, 750W, or something else? Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        1500 but you can request either.

Thanks much!

Comment

I am having trouble removing my Shark Pack battery from the cradle. I can see the dead bolt lock is unlocked but it will not seem to disconnect. I have tried tapping it with a rubber mallet and hitting it with my hand but it will not seem to budge. I fear it may have melted my connector since the controller will not power up. The battery charges fine and shows a complete charge on the indicator.

If I let the system sit for a while the control will start to boot up but shuts down nearly immediately. I have opened a ticket 34346462

Any advice?

Comment

• ykick
          ykick commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can see the "deadbolt" pin retracted from the cradle then you'll need to add more force to slide it apart. If it seems that harder tapping might break something I would use a plank or 2x4 of wood or similar and try leveraging it against the bike frame.

Yes, the power connector female contacts probably loosened up - causing arcing and heating which melted some of the plastic housing and somewhat welded the pack to the cradle.

• Zippy
          Zippy commented
          Editing a comment
          I did manage to easily solve my own cradle problem yesterday by gently adjusting one of the tabs. Now I've got good connection again, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I knew it had to be something in the cradle was amiss since my batteries worked fine with my other cradles. It looked perfectly fine and I was just about to order a replacement cradle, figured I'd play around with it a little and it worked.

• GlennMc
          GlennMc commented
          Editing a comment
          Great tip about levering it out with a 2X4. Worked like a charm. It was melted contacts. Thank you!

So I guess while I wait for the Cyclone 3000w to come back in stock I'm going to go ahead and order the battery and anything else I need because apparently some batteries out of stock now (wasn't couple days ago) and I don't want my 60v battery to go out either which some already have.. My question is for the dashboards that are offered, will any one of them work for the Cyclone or should I get a specific one? Ones says for BBDHD and BBSO2 so I wasn't sure if they'd work. Also when getting the battery, I saw pictures/videos of people having like a bag or something hooking onto the frame of the bike attaching the battery into place with looks like Velcro straps or something. I didn't see any in the shop anywhere, are they out or do I need to find them somewhere else?

Comment

The battery bags are out of stock but will be restocked soon as we get them, they are already in production. Some people build a custom box for their battery or use various bicycle bags that might fit, or put it in a backpack using an XT 90 leash.

Displays that say they are for Bafang mid drives will not work for cyclone mid drives. Unlike other mid drives, the cyclone doesn't have dedicated display options. There are specific throttles which have a voltage readout which you can use to estimate remaining capacity on the pack but this is not a full-featured display as such. Most of the time for a display we would recommend the Batt-man for power readout, and a dedicated bicycle speedometer for speed readout. Between these 2 dedicated displays this solution is actually more full-featured than any display built for Bafang mid drives. The Batt-man can accurately tell you how much remaining aH you have left which is a nice advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
            The battery bags are out of stock but will be restocked soon as we get them, they are already in production. Some people build a custom box for their battery or use various bicycle bags that might fit, or put it in a backpack using an XT 90 leash.

Displays that say they are for Bafang mid drives will not work for cyclone mid drives. Unlike other mid drives, the cyclone doesn't have dedicated display options. There are specific throttles which have a voltage readout which you can use to estimate remaining capacity on the pack but this is not a full-featured display as such. Most of the time for a display we would recommend the Batt-man for power readout, and a dedicated bicycle speedometer for speed readout. Between these 2 dedicated displays this solution is actually more full-featured than any display built for Bafang mid drives. The Batt-man can accurately tell you how much remaining aH you have left which is a nice advantage.
            Thank you so much, if the dimensions are correct I found a bag on Amazon that will hold it.
            Last edited by Valmek; 09-09-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Hello all,

I posted about the problem with the charge port and I am attempting to fix it. As stated, I bought my bike used on Craigslist with a Luna BBS02 and 48V 11.5 AH Dolphin back. The pack is connected to the cradle and the whole thing is carried in a frame bag (as opposed to mounted on the frame).

I am trying to take apart the battery to fix the charge port but the problem I have ran into is that I don't have the key to unlock the battery from the cradle and I can't figure out how to open up the battery without taking it off the cradle.

I'll do some more searching, but any tips would be helpful.

Thanks,

- Lazerath

Comment

• commuter ebikes
                commuter ebikes commented
                Editing a comment
                A locksmith can open it, install a new core and give you a bunch of new keys.

• lazerath
                lazerath commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for the response Commuter ebikes. As luck would have it, I have a buddy who is pretty handy and was able to get the cradle off. So now, it's just a matter of trying to get it open safely. I unscrewed all the screws I could see, but there is still some resistance somewhere and I don't want to force it. I am thinking it might have to do with the pull handle. I am having trouble finding any information on safe disassembly of the dolphin case. Now that I have the battery serial number, I am going to email Luna support to see if they can help me somehow.

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                lazerath most hardcase packs besides shark need a spudger (pry tool) to unlatch the edges where it latches together. If you've got all the screws this is what you probably have left to do.

Hey Lunatics, I bought your Luna Ludicrous Fusion Full S Fat (with 50 amp BBSHD) with the Luna 750c Full Color Display for BBDHD and BBS02. I love this bike but the display has some features that are not working, clock etc., are there going to be any updates to fix this? is the new Luna Full Color Display DPC-18 For the BBS02 and BBBSHD are all the features working and if I upgrade to this display, do I have to reprogram for PAS 9 levels (DPC-18) 5 levels (Luna 750c) ? Can I just Plug and Play? Which display is better? Thanks

Dave

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                There are indeed several features on both 750c and dpc18 that are not functional. The supported featureset on 750c is covered on this page
                https://lunacycle.com/luna-750c-full...dhd-and-bbs02/ (https://lunacycle.com/luna-750c-full-color-display-for-bbdhd-and-bbs02/) This covers the basics of the 750C display. 3.2 inch High-contrast IPS colorful dot screen. UART Communication Protocol. Password control Speed display: RT SPEED,MAX SPEED,AVG SPEED KM / Mile:

Both displays have their pros and cons. Many prefer how 750c presents info on the gauges and improved brackets as well as horizontal display of info, while others prefer that the dpc series has a usb port and working clock. Yes both are plug and play.

Does 36T Lekkie BBS02 Bling Ring enjoy similar offset as 42T Bling Ring?

Comment

• OptimusPrime
                OptimusPrime commented
                Editing a comment
                No, it does not. I know this from personal experience with both. The 36 has almost no offset.

• ykick
                ykick commented
                Editing a comment
                Like a doofis I totally missed info brother Pax pointed out with following post #348....

Personally, I feel if the main product description claims: "...for a better chainline: stock chainring offset is 5mm, the BBS02 Lekkie is 9mm" it should probably mention ONLY the 42T being capable of 9mm offset. Or, mention the sizing table found at the bottom of the page?

There's a picture at the bottom of each bling ring offset on the relevant Luna page depending on the model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lekkie-bbs02-offset.png?t=1485985486.png
Views:	345
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	44993
              Click image for larger version

Name:	lekkie-bbshd-offset-2.png?t=1485985298.png
Views:	334
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	44994

Comment

I've ordered a bbs02 for my 1951 schwinn cruiser with American bracket. Will it fit as is from kit sent or is it necessary to to get adapter kit. I read somewhere it can fit with a bit of modification.

Comment

I posted this in the troubleshooting area and got one opinion that the controller may indeed be dead. Please let me know your opinion and if there are any other troubleshooting techniques I should try:
                What I know is I get Err 30 on the display (C961) connecting to my Luna BBS02 with upgraded controller. I had added an extension cable for the display. That extension cable is a high suspect since I had altered it by adding 3 inches in the middle. I took that extension out of the system (perhaps too late) and got the same error. I tested with an extra main harness that is brand new and got the same error. Also, I can't connect with the programming cable using either harness. So no contact with the controler. The bike had run properly for four short rides 1 - 2 miles each with the suspect cable.

I am a newbie so I don't know how tough the BBS02 is but I don't think it was being abused. Running only 20 amps I was going up a gentle incline (3-5 degree) in a high gear but only after ascending through the lower gears and we were going over 20mph. I felt the motor housing right after and I figure it was about 120 - 130. It was hot but not so much I couldn't keep touching. The battery was not warm at all. I checked the voltage on the battery when I got home 52.6 * 20 = 1052 watts

Also it had rained light and brief early in the ride but was dry when it cut out.

Since I can't get through to the controller, I am afraid it's dead.

My ideas on how this happened:

1. My soldered extended cable might have shorted out the controler
                2. I cooked the controller riding uphill with 1052 watts
                3. Got rain water in a critical joint and shorted
                4. I don't know what I'm talking about and there is some other reason I don't know about and have not tested for.

One further piece of info is my chainring is 46t.

Comment

Originally posted by Carkie View Post
                Cmeilan 5x Rear Bicycle Light. Plug in to charge and all the light settings flash rapidly simultaneously instead of a slow steady flash. Don't know if it's charging.
                I have/had the same problem. I removed the 2 small Philips screws located on the bottom plate to get at the battery. This runs on one 18650 laptop battery. I measured the voltage and it was very low so I figured it needed a new battery. Several weeks ago I was ordering some Shimano crank arms and the site offered single cells so I bought one. The battery came in and I couldn't find the light because we have been moving things around in the house and it is lost in a box somewhere. Well I found the box a couple of hours ago. I installed the new battery and everything is working properly now.

Comment

Working...
                X