Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question I peanut butter my reduction gear an received them from some how I tried to tighten up the lockring that holds the gear and snapped it,UGH. Do you know where can I get a few others just in case I have the Grin phaserunner running a ton of power thru the BBSHD and I need to dial it a bit down due to the environment I ride (beach fat bike plus big guy way too much torque) sure I will do it a few more times till I get it perfect. any way need the lockrings not on site and or the size so I can get proper one thx appreciate help love the motor and your service.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      What lockring did you snap, the grey one? The black one? A picture might help. If that's what broke you might want to use bsb-1 or bsbf-1 in it's place

• zmarkjam
      zmarkjam commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a feeling he meant the snap ring on top of the nylon gear. Not sure though.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If that's the case easy solution, google for snap ring variety pack.

Hi all. Hope I'm posting properly. I just installed a brand new BBSHD today. Testing the unit out, throttle worked, all PAS worked. I then connected my laptop to save the preprogramed .el file for future use. From that point forward, the throttle has ceased to work. I also swapped the throttle... No change. Both PAS '0' boxes are set to '1'. So... Where do I go from here?? Many thanks for any help. Ron Waclawik.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried loading one of the other profiles to see if there's any difference

I'm checking out the Stealth bike. It says that there is no throttle installed - can one be installed after?

I ask, because I built a commuter based on the BBS-02 2 years ago, and it's been awesome. I either need to do some major maintenance or get a new bike (it was a 20 year old commuter already!)

didn't think I would use the throttle ever, but it's been the BEST part of the bike to take off from stoplights trying to avoid getting squished by cars. I've long thought that a lighter, smaller-battery bike with the option to just "floor it" for 10-30 seconds would be awesome for commuters. Waiting the 1-3 seconds for pedal assist to kick in just isn't that useful in a traffic situation.

Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, throttle can not be installed on the fixed stealth..

It was designed for no throttle because the battery size is limited in order to look as stealth as possible. In order to ensure that battery provides decent range a throttle was not a viable option.

Hi I purchased 2 kits (bbs02)

one of the kits I also bought the Luna narrow wide chain ring.

the stock chain ring offsets chain in towards the frame making it align with the rear hub. The red narrow wide does not offset at all and with the adapter it offsets out causing the chain to bend to much and bike shop told me it would not work as it bending to much is this normal? I need a narrow wide because live in bumpy terrain and chain Pops out when hitting bumps.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Wamedrano
      Wamedrano commented
      Editing a comment
      As it sits now with the stock chain ring it goes through all gears nicely it’s the issue when installing the Luna narrow wide chain link because it offsets outward similar to the initial picture on the forum you suggested.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Well yeah, it has less inbound offset than stock because it can not wrap around the secondary reduction housing. Whether it is workable depends on the bike frame, or if you just want to use the low limit derailer screw to keep the bike out of any gears where the chainline is bad.

The link I provided shows how to make it work for your situation.

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe the BBS02 Lekkie 40 or 42 tooth chain ring would work.

I’m having problems logging in to lunacycle I was hoping to check on ,y order #87688
    Last edited by Jetchew75; 10-07-2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks on track to me. It has been one business day, typically orders for this needs 3-5 business days before shipping. We will email tracking to the email address you specified once shipped. BTW the address you specified was improperly formed, with the street field filled out twice on the same line. I went ahead and fixed that for you.

Hi your counter is open today 11-3 right?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Every weekday EXCEPT mondays

Will the luna bbhd controller work in a non luna bbhd motor

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never seen a report that it did not work, assuming you get the right version to match the motor.

I was riding the other day and the voltage on the display went from around 50v to 33v and power cut out all of the sudden. I unplugged the battery, plugged it back in and it worked again for about thirty minutes when the same thing happened. I repeated this process a few more times, and each time it worked for less time than the last before it failed. Eventually it wouldn't turn on any more. When I finally made it home I switched batteries and it worked for about an hour before the same process happened again (unplug it, plug it back in, it works but for less and less time until it won't even turn on.)

I replaced the display but that didn't work. I would just replace things one by one but the problem is intermittent which just makes it more difficult to diagnose.Do you have any other thoughts before I tear the whole thing apart?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Which battery is this?

• EasyBreezy
      EasyBreezy commented
      Editing a comment
      both are batteryspace prismatic cell lifepo4 48v 20ah. Both are fairly old but I would be surprised if both of them went bad the same way on the same day.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Check the connectors from the motor. They made need replacing.

Hi guys. I am very interested in the Fixed Stealth bike. Traditionally, a Fixed or Fixie bike has no freewheel. I get the sense from the product description that it does actually have a freewheel (albeit silent, without internal prawls). I just wanted to make sure, because I am not interested in a fixed gear bike with no freewheel.

My other question is about the width in the rear stays and fork. What is the biggest width tire that you could fit in there? Could you fit a common 700 x 40c gravel / cyclocross tire on there? (https://www.gravelbike.com/700x40-tire-roundup/) . Can you setup the rim tubeless?

Thanks!
    Mike

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it has a freewheel.

You can't go much wider on tires. Maybe a few millimeters.

I don't think tubeless is an option on that rim.

Originally posted by rmwac View Post
    Hi all. Hope I'm posting properly. I just installed a brand new BBSHD today. Testing the unit out, throttle worked, all PAS worked. I then connected my laptop to save the preprogramed .el file for future use. From that point forward, the throttle has ceased to work. I also swapped the throttle... No change. Both PAS '0' boxes are set to '1'. So... Where do I go from here?? Many thanks for any help. Ron Waclawik.
    Here's one of the better articles for programming that may help you -
    https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...ing-the-bbs02/

...and here are some downloads of different profiles -
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4b36xhxe8...gneOs94oa?dl=0

...and of course Penoff's page for the programming software. (You do remember you can mess things up badly and void your warranty with improper settings) -
    https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-...sion-software/

I hope these links are acceptable paxtana

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Helping people is always okay :)

My RST Killah Fork and the handlebar are uneven. How do I fix?

Comment

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      Attach your handle bars. Then on the stem there are 2 bolts going in opposite directions they may already be loose if not just loosen them. Stand in front of your bike with the front wheel between your feet. Use your handle bar to line up your fork and bars. You may want to snug up those opposing bolts until they are just barely putting a bit of friction on the forks stem. Take your time and adjust until you feel comfortable you have the alignment just right. Then snug up the bolts. You may want to use a torque wrench but it is not necessary. your looking for 5 nm (Neuton Meters) if you use a hex wrench/ allen key put the short end in the head of the bolt and 5 nm is about the amount of pressure you can get on the bolt with your index finger on the longer L handle of the wrench. But this is also dependent on your strength if your not that strong then use the amount of pressure you would get from using your index finger and your middle finger. Make sure both the opposing bolts are tightened equally you can go back and forth a couple times and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Loosen the headset, straighten it, then tighten the headset.

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      You should check all the bolts on your bike before riding to make sure they are torqued correctly. Stem Cap, Stem Clamping Bolts, Handle Bar Clamping Bolts, Seat Clamp, Brake Calipers where they mount to your bike, Front & Rear Axles, Pedal bolts, Crank Arm Bolts, and Chain Ring Bolts. Its a good idea to put a light coating of axle grease on you pedal bolts so you can remove them later if you need to. It's a good idea to routinely check these bolts. Before every ride would be a good idea. Enjoy your new bike!

Want to purchase the BBSHD Middrive kit. New at the E build thing.
    1-Is the DPC-7 display to basic? Is it worth going to the DCP-10 ?
    2-If I already have hydraulic breaks do I want the optional ebrake cut offs mechanical ebrake levers with cut- off ?
    3-would like battery to mount to bike rack. Is the 48v Dolphin Panasonic GA 13.5 5 ah the correct one ?
    4- Is the Gear sensor the best way to go what is it functions?
    5- I would like the most torque and power for climbing hills. Do I want to go with the Luna mighty mini 30T chain ring ?
    6- Do I need to add a Luna eclipse face if going with mighty mini
    7- 30T is the number of teeth on a sprocket correct?
    8- Anything else needed when ordering this kit ?
    Thank you for any help you can give....Jason

hopefully this post is in the correct location

Comment

• joost
      joost commented
      Editing a comment
      1-not a huge deal, I like smaller low profile displays
      2 you will need the magnets not the levers
      3 I like the wolf packs. 52 v will get you a little extra kick
      4- gear sensor is nice but definitely not mandatory.
      5- chain line is really important,
      6-nothing is needed for mighty mini
      7-yes, 30 tooth is good for a fat bike. Too small for most other use case, I run 42 on my mountain bike, 36 on my fatbike, 48 on my cargo bike.
      8-spacers, Luna wrench, blue loctite, zip ties, check out electricbike-blog.com

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      1. Both of those displays are old. I think the latest displays are the 500C and 850C and would be the most recommended.

2. Just leave them unplugged. Your default brakes will be fine and it's not worth increasing wire clutter.

3. There is no real correct battery. They're all suited for whatever situation you can fit them in. The hardcase packs like the Dolphin and Shark are good for mounting but don't hold up well to long term use like sun exposure and heavy vibrations. The Wolf Pack would be a better choice for your situation if you're looking for something durable and long lasting.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-wolf-v2-52v-battery-pack/

4. The Gear Sensor is not a requirement and completely optional. You cannot shift the bike while the motor is active because the immense torque puts too much strain on the chain and rear derailleur, so the gear sensor when installed will automatically cut the motor power for a brief second as soon as you hit the shifting lever and the residual energy from the motor being cut off is enough to switch the gears over gently, which will allow a smooth seamless shift. Of course this can also be done manually by just letting go out of the throttle and shifting hence why it's an option and not a requirement, but the Gear Sensor does bring a lot of convenience to it.

5. If you're interested in choosing a different chainring with the BBSxx kit, you'll definitely want to take a look at our offset information guide on our forums. Since they all have different offsets, some are only best with proper spacing and a straight chainline. It's usually best to just go with the Default Stock Ring or 42T Luna Eclipse ring for the most reliable setup until you've judged what your chainline looks like first and what kind of potential spacing you can use for smaller or larger rings.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...inwheel-offset

Here's an example of a bad chainline using our Mighty Mini 30T improperly, This chainring is known to be the most problematic without proper spacing due to it's mostly flat design that doesn't offset the chain very much:

https://electricbike.com/forum/filed...2982&type=full

These types of issues can cause noise problems, chain wear, chainwheel rear which all lead to chain skipping/falling off and getting jammed up in the motor. Not good.

6. The Mighty Mini 30T is just a single piece, it cannot be combined with the Eclipse pieces

7. Yes

8. Just be sure to read up on all the documentation, watch installation videos and make sure you have a clear idea of what you're going to be doing before you buy the kit. These links are super important:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ight-bbsxx-kit
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...mid-drive-kits
      https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/wiki/bbs_faq (comprehensive list of tools needed here, very helpful)

I need a BB to BSA eccentric adapter that will work with a TSDZ2 mid-motor. This is old school Electra which has internal BB size of 2" or approx 50.8mm. Outside measurement is about 56.8mm. I believe the standard BB to BSA adapters used for BBS01, BBS02, BBSHD etc. won't work because the TSDZ2 has less clearance. I estimate that the nearest edge needs to be 3.7mm. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by guajardojobob; 10-10-2019, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I've been riding my X-1 (order #80254) for a week since I got it, and everything has been running fine until yesterday when the throttle didn't work when I started riding. I noticed the connector was unplugged in front of the bike, but after reconnecting it still didn't work. On closer inspection of the connector, the metal pins in the cable coming from the bike look bent and the plastic ring is cracked. I'm guessing since the pins are bent, they aren't making a proper connection with the receiving side in the throttle cable. What are my options for fixing the connector to get the throttle working again? I'll update with pictures when I get home from work. Thanks

Comment

I think you found a niche with a huge market demand with the Luna Fixed Stealth bike. However I have some suggestions for improvements for a future 2.0 version:

1. Longer range. 20 miles is enough for most commutes. However, after a couple of years of battery degradation and the effects of cold weather could easily cut this by half. Also I think most people will be in a hurry and use maximum assistance. A solution could be a pair of batteries shaped as 1 liter bike bottles.

2. Ability to easily bring only the battery in to charge. Many people live in houses where it is impractical to carry the entire bike up the stairs for charging. Also charging the bike outdoors is bad when it is cold. My suggestion is to have two "water bottles" with built in batteries that can be taken in for charging or just stay on. But the wires have to be hidden so no thieves grab the batteries.

3. Water resistance. It should be enough to ride in heavy rain and park the bike outside for extended periods.

4. More power for going up hills at a decent speed. My least important point, but a little more power is always welcome. 15 mph up a 20% gradient without breaking a sweat would be ideal.

5. Long term durability. I don't know how the current bike will fare, but having a bike and components that last for 5+ years would be very nice.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the feedback.
Working...
X