Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I've been riding my new e bike (the babe) for about a week now and I'm noticing that my commute is pretty hard on the battery. I'm thinking that I'll need either a second battery or a replacement with better range to accommodate this ride. Any suggestions?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      We probably have spare batteries if you want to email support so we can have them look around the shop

What makes the difference between bikes that both have Bafang Ultra motors and one is advertised as 1000w and the other as a 750w. Is it as simple as the current max setting in the controller?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Which bikes are you referring to? You mean the different options on the Apex? Those are just programming levels that you can choose if you prefer to run at a street legal setting (750w) or full power (2500w)

Hello! I just got my bike! Super stoked. I just pulled the battery to charge it and to start building BUT I have a quick question before the weekend. I watched the video you guys posted on how to make the bike not-street legal and faster but the wires on the bike I just got are different then the ones in the video. I want to make this thing NOT street legal. How do I do that? Hopefully you can answer before the weekend! Photo attached of what the connectors I have look like. THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

OK, thinking of adding Bafang e-assist to my rover. Was over on Bafang site. Is the BBSHD the same as the Bafang 1000 watt motor? That (the 1000W) is what Bafang suggested I go with. I live in hill country and will be pushing (pedaling) a 50 lb rover trike, (with all its gear) and a 300+ lb rider up some hills, a few of which can be steep, (those near the river valley edge). These will be roads or sidewalks, no dirt trail riding or in grass, or Dirt bike type trails.

Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Bbshd is most likely what you want

Click image for larger version  Name:	5943CA12-A698-43D4-9402-47A8D13C5839.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	102116
    I just finished putting together this bad boy with your Luna parts Dire wolf and ludicrous controller. It doesn't feel any faster than my hot rod 1500w bike. And display shows a max wattage of about 1200w while hammering it. This is the first ride with a new Dire wolf 52v 90% charged. any ideas why I’m not getting full power?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      actual wattage is double what the controller tells the display because that's how we get the controller to double the wattage, It is a hardware hack allowing the controller to utilize the same firmware. If you hook up a watt meter to it you can see this.

Speed is mostly determined by voltage and gearing, not current. It should have more torque, but ludicrous does not generally cause more speed. It looks like you have this bike geared for single speed, might want to change that.

Ok that explains it, I see so it’s using like 2400w.
    I shouldn’t have used the word “faster” . It doesn’t really seem much more “powerful” than my 1500 watt bbshd.
    (actually that’s an Alfine 8-speed rear hub)

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Wildstar View Post
      OK, thinking of adding Bafang e-assist to my rover. Was over on Bafang site. Is the BBSHD the same as the Bafang 1000 watt motor? That (the 1000W) is what Bafang suggested I go with. I live in hill country and will be pushing (pedaling) a 50 lb rover trike, (with all its gear) and a 300+ lb rider up some hills, a few of which can be steep, (those near the river valley edge). These will be roads or sidewalks, no dirt trail riding or in grass, or Dirt bike type trails.

Thanks.
      Was told it might not be able to get me up some of the steeper hills, that is why bafang suggested I go with the 1000 watt unit.

Comment

• pure_mahem
        pure_mahem commented
        Editing a comment
        Hold My Beer! JK I go 380 lbs at the moment and started riding my ebike when I was around 450 lbs maybe more than that. I have a BBSHD w/ off road programing, a 30T Mighty Mini front cog, 11-36 10 speed stock in the rear, 26 x 4.75 Fat Tires, 30q Wolfpacks. My bike will climb anything I put in front of it carrying me, any gear I put on the bike like water bottles, a basket, a bag carrying my breakdown kit, My Yorkie riding in the front basket....and towing a Aosom II Cargo Trailer loaded with 90+lbs of Groceries...and it will do it throttle only. I aint gonna win no speed awards climbing fully loaded But fer dang sure we aint pushing we riding! That's what you want my Friend!

Put it in Low and it will Go!

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Well technically speaking 1000watt unit is a pretty vague term. It could be anything. 1000 watt could also refer to the same BBSHD that you're comparing it too so it's hard to know exactly what they were referring to or if they were just referring to the BBSHD. The BBSHD is capable of up to 1500watts or 2500watts with some special mods but also has been rated for 1000watts nominal so the ratings are kind of all over the place

If I had to suggest, just go with a BBSHD and you won't be disappointed :)
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 02-22-2020, 07:53 PM.

• Mac Wildstar
        Mac Wildstar commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I am not going for speed, I am going for getting up these blasted hills. Im pushing 320, plus the weight of the Rover, with the panniers, side bags, and camera gear up front. I currently handle some hills without any assistance (as I have none) but on these longer rides of more than 5 miles 1 way, I will need it on the way back. Just going "around the block" here, which is a 1 mile loop, I have hills which means 2 sides are going up, and 2 sides going down. If I ride the loop around the mall across the main street, its a 4 mile loop, 2 of which are up some steep hills.

LUNA FIXED STEALTH EBIKE

Soo, when do you think the Medium frames will be available? Any chance on preordering one and doing a couple of prepayments? Last, what is the range of one of these?

Comment

Hello Luna!

My Stromer ST2 e-bike died and it's out of warranty. Mechanically it's in great shape.

I'm thinking I want to buy a controller (60 AMP 36-72V EBIKE BLUETOOTH PROGRAMMABLE CONTROLLER) and a thumb throttle (THUMB THROTTLE FOR CYCLONE DRIVE WITH LED AND POWER SWITCH) and wire all that to the hub motor on the back wheel. No sensors, nothing, maybe I'll wire brake lever switches to the controller for safety.

Questions:

Is it going to work?

Will those throttle and controller fit together?

Do I really need to research this "hall sensors" before I buy?

Comment

Can I use this Cyclone controller on a daymak em2 D 60 amp

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably not without a lot of work. I would contact the original manufacture/seller if you need a controller replacement if I were you.

Any idea on a time frame for the 52v 300W $99 charger to be back in stock?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Likely soon. This is definitely a popular seller so I can't imagine it will stay out of stock for very long.

Hi. Iʻm doing an epic XC ride this Saturday that is 42 miles. It has lots of rolling hills and a few short steep hills. My main concern is battery range. I have a Luna Wolf 52 volt 625wh battery that was paired with my Ludicrous drive. I also will be packing a Luna Pup. The route is pretty much equal of descent to the ascent hills, however the last 12 miles is all downhill. :) Thus Iʻd say my range needed is about 30 miles of up and down hills. I recently acquired the Luna Black Box programmer, thus able to reprogram at will. My questions is which program would be best to get the best range on my batteries? Iʻm not worried about the short steep hills as Iʻm sure in Hot Rod version it will be able to clear it.
        Thank you very much.
        Delbert

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I would recommend one of the Limitless profiles for best range, as the pedal assist works best in that profile. Then tweak it further for any additional range needed by dialing down the max current until it reaches whatever range you need. You can best determine that by going on shorter trips and seeing how much power you are left with, for example if you do 10 miles and unloaded voltage shows you used about 25% of the battery, then that would be good

• Evil Toad
          Evil Toad commented
          Editing a comment
          Paxtana, I forgot to ask, which of the advanced preset programs in the Black Box is a Limitless program?
          Thanks, Delbert

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          You would need to get the limitless profiles from the config software it is not in the black box
          This is an introductory guide to using the programming cable and the Bafang Config Tool to change the options of the controller for your Bafang mid-drive motor, so we won't be going in-depth about any other tab but the Basic tab. If you own a Bafang mid-drive motor you may want to change a thing or two in the controller

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention I never use throttle, only PAS, and will definitely will be pedaling a lot. Iʻve done this ride many times sans eMotor so i know what it takes and what to expect as far as the terrain. My goal is to see if I can do the whole ride with the set up I have. I guess my question was which program would be best to stretch battery range but able to climb short steep hills. I think that was answered. Again thank you. Iʻll def get back on the ride and do a write up, inclduing my build which Iʻve been extensively testing in different terrains I have here.

Comment

• Cavi
          Cavi commented
          Editing a comment
          If it was me I would go out and figure out what power output you really need on certain trail sections based on terrain types and inclinations, and I would figure out how much power you could use and still make the full 42 miles. With both of those things you can download the limitless program, and then set two things: first max amps (remember the Ludicrious is doubling what is showing in the program) to the number you figured. This way you make sure you will have enough in the worst cast. Then go in and set the PAS levels so you have like level 5 set for the main PAS setting you want , and 6 and 7 slightly higher, and 8 and 9 with almost max for the steep hills. then set 3 and 4 for less PAS than you think you need so you have a safe mode. Then test it and go back and adjust to need..

So when is this new 72V battery and kit for the Sur Ron going to be available? I saw some stuff on FaceButt about them. Can you put me on a list to be emailed as soon as they drop? Thank you!!

Comment

My email is brett@thebrandingagency.com if you can, thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X