Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soo my mtb is equipped with a BBSHD. It is working great however when I pedal under slight load I get a creaking noise. I have checked the cranks are tight as are the pedals. I am running the Lekkie Buzz bars for cranks. ideas?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Since the Bafang is it's own BB it may creak a bit in your frame, the crank arms may also make creaking noises. Lock up both brakes and load up one of the pedals to get the bike to flex under your weight. Keep tightening the inner lockring and crank arms depending on where the noise is coming from until it's creak free.

If you still have issue you may want to go with alternate mount bracket like bsb-1 or bsbf-1.

• DB60
      DB60 commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure you very lightly grease the threads of the pedals, BB etc. also..

• Cavi
      Cavi commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, finally fixed it last night, and i will say I was a bit shocked. It turned out that my BB needed tightening again. I am a bit shocked as I own the socket to tighten the BB, and when I put this together I used it and tightened down to over 80Ft/lbs. either way, I retightened and really leaned in to it. I will check it in a couple more rides!!!

I dropped my battery and started having issues. The BBS02 motor would run but the power was inconsistent and the motor would cut out.

I bought a new Direwolf and plugged it in and this time the throttle or PAS wouldn’t work at all. Then all of a sudden there was a small “pop” and a burning smell so I unplugged the battery. I figure the controller is now “blown” and I’m not sure what to do next.

https://youtu.be/tMPE26qB-0M

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F677AFD-B8FC-4286-8355-3764AF29523F.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	102439
    Last edited by Redro; 02-29-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      The battery is probably still good so you're most likely looking at a controller replacement only.

Thanks for your response The motor is 500W Bafang rear hub . . .Battery is 48V 14 ah . . . My concern is that although the mileage was good, the battery shut off completely. And when tested with my volt meter it shows 46V. As I said the motor was not getting any of that 46V and my LCD showed the very lowest bar remaining . . .

I'm new to this whole eBike adventure and perhaps I don't understand battery percentage : Watts vs. Volts. vs Ah . . . The charger red light stays on up to 54.6 v and stays there for awhile slowly counting down (What I assume to be) the charging rate. It then turns green . . . So, voltage on the Luna Charger reads 54.6V. . . I go for a ride . . .then the battery stops working still measuring 46V, (nowhere close to the LVC 40V) @ 84% of the 54.6v voltage remaining on the meter . . . but the bike won't go . . . HELP!!

Thanks

Luke

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Ehhh At 46v, you can hit a complete shut off if there's too much load being applied to the battery. Not sure what the actual wattage of the Bafang Hub pulls. The LVC is 40v but the battery can sag down that low from 46v as you're using it in hard conditions. It's usually best to call it quits around 47v as that gives you a bit of emergency juice left in-case it starts to rain or something, but from that point I usually try to conserve as much as possible.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 02-29-2020, 02:24 PM.

What size spoke wrench do I need to get for the Sur Run Luna X edition? I just got the bike a week ago if that helps. Thank you!

Comment

hello everyone I am entering this blog with my problem with my fat bike teo 500s bafang wheel motor. for 3 days I have an error message 30h as soon as I press the power and I release the whole system s extinguished when I let press the message dereeur appears with the engine flashing. nothing works anymore i checked all the connections nothing works. and problem no bike shop wants to fix it! I was advised this blog to solve my problem. I speak French more than English but I am able to thank you for helping me I can no longer ride

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, sorry, this thread is mainly for Luna products. I would contact the original seller/manufacture though and request for a replacement controller or explain to them the error code. Although usually 30H means the controller is fried and needs to be replaced. In some cases it could also be the display or main harness though too.

Originally posted by Jidie View Post
    hello everyone I am entering this blog with my problem with my fat bike teo 500s bafang wheel motor. for 3 days I have an error message 30h as soon as I press the power and I release the whole system s extinguished when I let press the message dereeur appears with the engine flashing. nothing works anymore i checked all the connections nothing works. and problem no bike shop wants to fix it! I was advised this blog to solve my problem. I speak French more than English but I am able to thank you for helping me I can no longer ride
    Have you tried contacting Teo Velo in Montreal - if so, did they respond? They may be able to diagnose the motor controller, which I suspect may be the issue (or maybe a damaged harness wire).

Comment

Thank you i will give ypu some news this week

Comment

Hello — my Bafang BBSHD is not powering on the display and I’ve run through the entire troubleshooting guide. Using the programming cable and disconnecting the brake sensors, the motor still does not turn, no sounds whatsoever, dead quiet. I’ve got power entering into the controller module but no power coming out on the display cable. Can I confidently say it’s the controller that’s bad? I took the controller off and there’s no sign of burnout. (I didn’t own the bike for the past two years, it retook ownership, so I don’t know how it was ridden or what happened when it stopped working.)

My problem is, I live overseas so it’ll be a bummer to buy/ship it and then discover it’s something else, maybe something simple.

Thanks for any help/advise.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          It is probably the controller if you're sure you're getting power to it but no power out to the display.

My wife wants an X1 Enduro.... will a size small become available ? She’s 5’3”. The medium geo looks to large

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it will be restocked. Small always seems to sell out fastest for some reason. Might be a month or more before we get them. Lemme know if you want me to hit you up when available

Yes please let me know. Thanks !

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay will do!

Continuing battery problem.
        Hi. So continuing from my previous post on my battery, Luna Wolf.
        This weekend I charged it to 100% as I was doing an epic ride of 45 miles on a dirt road with rolling hills. It died out at 47.8 volts, at mile 26. I had packed my Luna Pup as a back up so i was able to complete the ride. i only needed to get to mile 32 as itʻs all downhill form there. :)
        When I got home, I checked voltage with a volt meter and it read 47.8 volts. I put it on the charger and charged it to 50 volts, and went for a ride to test it out. Again it died at 47.8 volts. Did it one more time just to make sure, and same thing, died at 47.9 volts.
        What can be done, as I feel I did not get the product as it was intended to be sold.
        Iʻve followed battery maintenance protocols, charging to 80% when not in use, not starting in hard gears, etc.
        I am in touch with support, have not heard back form them yet, however Iʻd like an opinion here also on advice.
        Thank You

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          The 30 mile range rating is mainly for ideal conditions like flat ground, pedaling, minimal weight etc etc. It's different for every person and different for every track or route you ride on.
          Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 03-02-2020, 03:16 PM.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          It may also be worth noting here that you could probably improve your range as well as decrease the sag on the battery by fine-tuning the controller programming. Whether that would be using an aftermarket profile like limitless, or dialing down max current a bit

• Evil Toad
          Evil Toad commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for all the tips. Will def look into Limitless and fine tuning. Iʻm new to this but am ambitious to learn and know there will be trial and errors. Iʻm super happy with how the system, motor, etc works. itʻs been great so far.

My apologies aforehand for a possibly ill-informed or misstated question, but here goes.... what is a reasonable (but aggressive) 0-20 mph acceleration time for a higher-end e-bike? I've seen numbers on the order of 5 seconds....but this seems to be painfully slow. My hypothetical objective is to be able to comfortably out-accelerate automotive traffic on city streets, where the driving-speed likely never exceeds 25 mph, but where explosive, on-demand acceleration is key.

Playing around with some numbers, I arrive at a wattage value (assuming ideal gearing) that I think meets my desires. But that number is far, far out of the range of what's normal for e-bikes.

Comment

• Holmes
          Holmes commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Paxtana.

Is it at all reasonable to try to hit 20 mph by say 1.5 seconds? This is assuming that the rider is leaning over the handlebars, with suitable suspension squat and full weight transfer to the rear tire.

With a 100 pound bike and 200 pound rider with full safety gear etc., I'd like to get a power-to-weight ratio, in hp to pounds, of around 1:12. This is comparable to that of a modern sedan, of good (but not outstanding) performance: 350 hp in a 3800 pound car (plus 200 pound driver). Well, 300 pounds of bike+rider at 1:12 ratio puts us at 25 hp, or around 19 KW... which seems to be really high (ridiculously high!) compared to a Sur Ron.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          This recent video may help. If you look at the timestamps for this Luna Banana with Ludicrous controller he appears to be hitting 20mph in about 2 seconds. That's at about 2500W peak.

As far as high performance ebikes it is higher than you will see in most typical production ebikes, outside of the sort of thing marketed as dirtbikes, electric motorcycles and so on. This performance would be roughly applicable to any bike with BBSHD/Ludicrous, with the exception of fatbikes. Probably would also apply to bikes with Cyclone 3000. You would not see this performance on most typical ebikes with hubmotors.

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          "You would not see this performance on most typical ebikes with hubmotors." If this comment refers to bargain eBay hub motors I can agree with you. However I have a decent hubmotor installation on both a 2 and 3 wheeled bike that will do in excess of 45 mph and more. Unfortunately at 70 I don't have the guts to find out especially after the broken arm a couple of years ago. 8000 watts is really cool.

I ride some pretty technical single track with rock sections on a hardtail and the bike does get bounced around a bit. My BBHSD has a tendency to come loose in the bottom bracket over time. I tighten it back up routinely, every 20 rides or so. Is there something else you would recommend to address the issue? Is there any long term issues with it coming loose (i.e. a reason to proactively re-tighten it more often)? Thanks!

Comment

ok Ive got a luna 2017 4 season 500 fat tire ebike khs with 17" medium frame .
        will the LUNA WOLF V2 52V BATTERY PACK fit in the frame ?
        with the pdf cutout it fits but is that taking into account the magnetic mount frame ?
        thanks

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          You're good I think. As long as it clears the metal rails on the bottom of the pack, the magnets won't add any height to the pack

What's the proper way to raise the entire seatpost dropper on the Luna Apollo? I'm 6'3 so currently its max height is several inches too short for my legs.
        I tried following this guide and video (https://www.tredz.co.uk/how-to/adjus...er-post-height) by unscrewing the bolt holding the seatpost and raising it while trying to feed in more of the cable into the frame from the handle bars, but it doesn't move up any further than about 2 inches, while also causing the seatpost dropper button to lock up and no longer work until I put it back down to its original position.

How do I go about raising it correctly in this instance? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X