Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double post from 6 days ago that I believe the community needs a solution to. Or just ignore it and I will solve it myself and spend extra time and money. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-ebike-battery
    Last edited by pho; 05-18-2020, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The question was already answered with multiple suggestions, I am sorry if you did not like the answers but this is DIY equipment and sometimes you might need to come up with your own solutions to specific concerns you may have. That battery was not designed for security, it was designed for durability. If you want to figure a way to make it work for your security concerns. Regarding your other question no I am sorry we can not send you a free battery.

Sorry to ask this question as its probably been asked and answered before, but I just got a new-to-me downhill bike and the bottom bracket is 83mm. I have installed a BBS02 motor before on another 68mm bottom bracket bike (so I have some minimal experience), but now understand that I need a BBSHD for the new DH bike because the BBS02 doesn't (easily without retrofitting) support the larger bottom brackets. I have read that the BBSHD 100mm width version can support down to 73mm (some places say 86mm). I am a little concerned about purchasing a 100mm motor and having to put tons of spacers on the drive side (pushing out the chainline) in order to have enough threads to tighten the motor on the non-drive side. For this particular bike, I imagine I will definitely need about 3-4mm of spacers so the motor isn't touching anything on the drive side (regardless of the motor bottom bracket version's width ), so at 86-87mm in overall bottom bracket width (which includes the 3-4mm of needed spacers), will there be enough threads on the non-drive side for securing the motor correctly at that point, or will it require more drive side spacers, and how much (in mm)?

If there needs to be more spacers for 86-87mm of overall bottom bracket width, is it possible/recommended to add spacers between the axle retaining nut and the motor fixing plate on the non-drive side instead of adding more spacers to the drive side?

What are your thoughts/recommendations/etc?

Thank you so much!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TaylorN; 05-19-2020, 06:39 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

• TaylorN
      TaylorN commented
      Editing a comment
      hey paxtana, I am still confused. If you don't space out the motor fixing plate away from the bottom bracket (or if you don't space out the stabilizer mount from the bottom bracket), then the fixing-plate/stabilizer mounting tabs/holes/etc would run into the motor's bolt mount since those stick out to 100mm , which is further than the 83mm bottom bracket. What am I missing? You are totally trying to share with me your vast experience, but I can't put it together in my head. How could any stabilizer bar (either one) sit flush with the bottom bracket if there is almost no spacers added to the drive side (I don't want to mess up the chainline on the drive side by adding a lot of spacers there)? Note, I added another photo to the post above with some annotations

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right, maybe I was thinking of another size. I don't see why your annotated picture wouldn't work with bsbf-1.

• TaylorN
      TaylorN commented
      Editing a comment
      gotcha. thanks for the support!

@Swamp...........Maybe a Stabilizer Bar needed?
    https://lunacycle.com/bsbf-1-stabili...s02-and-bbshd/
    https://lunacycle.com/bsb-1-stabiliz...s02-and-bbshd/
    They are not plug and play, you will need to modify one to work for your frame. No experience with these, as my BBSHD is "inside" the frame and can not move.

Comment

...deleting the contents of this post. I meant to reply to paxtana in post #3722 above: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...063#post106063
      Last edited by TaylorN; 05-18-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

what is a bsb 1?

Comment

paxtana, Any chance you guys sell the end cap screws to your cnc pedals separately? I seem to have lost one on a recent ride.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I got one from a right hand blue pedal. Seems like it should work but no promises. $6 shipped, pm me if you want it

I need some suggestions on installing a regenerative system to my trike to 750 watt 36 volt
        Presently was set thinking about a DC motor and a voltage regulator going back to the system direct as 36 volts but I'm not sure.
        was wanting to mount it to the shaft for the rear wheels to the bottom Deck with a battery box is in some type of framework up for a drive belt and some way to engage the genbrake
        Please help GM

Comment

I have a bafang bbshd with a shark pack 52v about two years old and bafang color display, setup has about 40 charge cycles .
          last two times out, I experienced full shut down: blank display no response from power button, about 1/2 way through normal battery range. Motor and battery barely warm to the touch. Got home an hour later, as soon as I put it on the charger, it powers up. I charged it for 1 minute, took it out it lasted about 3 minutes then full shut down again, plugged it into charger and it powered up .

this has happened twice in a row, no sign of low voltage cut outs or any warning at all, and as I said probably 1/2 spent battery.

i have three of these setups have never had this issue before.

whats happening?

thx
          MA

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like voltage sag is causing the battery to hit low voltage cutoff. The older the battery, the more the sag. Other factors also affect how much sag you see, such as what voltage it was long term stored at over the winters, what temp it was when using it etc. we have more in depth info on sag and how to best care for a battery on the battery documentation master repository https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ter-repository

• pho
            pho commented
            Editing a comment
            It is likely the BBSHD controller is programmed to cut power when battery sags below a certain voltage. If you have a programming cable you can easily lower this setting (check the hackers guide to BBSxx programming article). Myself, I experienced this when my 48v battery goes below 41 volts. I can easily set this to 38 or 39 or 40 volts, but that will put more stress on the battery and shorten its life. Also the battery BMS in the battery itself might be programmed to not alIow voltage to sag below a certain level, as well, but that shouldnt cut power, only limit power as the battery gets close to empty. I have the 860c display, but there are at least half a dozen other display models that may behave differently. what display are you using?

I’m very familiar with your recommended battery care, I store it over the winter with 80% or less, charge at 3 or 4 amp setting, and don’t charge when hot. A similar build I did(48v shark) at the same time 2-3 years ago, has like 300+ abusive charges by a teenager and never had this issue, the battery has about half its capacity but it never did a total shutdown.

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Fair enough.

Other considerations would be even physical damage could cause voltage sag, like if the battery was dropped or maybe the bike fell over at some point over the years, or got into an accident etc and caused a dented cell... that imbalance would show itself in sag.

Keep a close eye on voltage next time you use it and see if you see a voltage drop prior to cutout. That's an easy test to do though by no means definitive, it's a start. If you want to get technical open the pack and test the cell banks.

• MAsGarage
            MAsGarage commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok I’ll try to get it to die again and I’ll keep an eye on the voltage ( but it happens suddenly so I might miss it)

My Bafang BBSHD crank arm pedal threads got stripped today. My left pedal fell off at the very end of my ride (cool). I ordered Luna's upgraded crank arms when I got home. I think there are 4 possible explanations for this.
          1) I over tightened the pedal
          2) I under tightened the pedal
          3) the crank arm was defective
          4) the default crank arms from bafang are not durable enough.
          (Note to Luna: I got the kit from em3ev, not Luna. As it is one of the most highly recommended sellers when Luna is out of stock, which is often)
          I have not really done any hardcore trails or taken many roots or rocks yet, and the build itself only has about 166 miles of mostly road, easy single track and fire road riding.
          So, note to everyone who DOES want to hit the trails hard, catch some air, and live through a crash. You might need to get better crank arms than bafang will provide you.
          I am hoping Lunas upgrade will prevent this from being a problem in the future, given I don't do stupid things or crash hard.

So, my question is, Which problem do you think is the most likely cause (1-4)?

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably a combination of factors, or maybe it was cross threaded. But yes the stock cranks use relatively soft metal.

• MAsGarage
            MAsGarage commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the stock bafang and crank arms in my Full Off-road 2500 watt Full suspension monster. I jump all the time and thrash it! Never had any issue with the crank arms!

why does the luna wolf battery pack have multiple inputs and outputs?

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            So you have backups in case anything ever happens to the original connectors

• pho
            pho commented
            Editing a comment
            you can also use the 2nd discharge port for a light or other high voltage DC accessory.

Originally posted by pho View Post
          My Bafang BBSHD crank arm pedal threads got stripped today. My left pedal fell off at the very end of my ride (cool). I ordered Luna's upgraded crank arms when I got home. I think there are 4 possible explanations for this.
          1) I over tightened the pedal
          2) I under tightened the pedal
          3) the crank arm was defective
          4) the default crank arms from bafang are not durable enough.
          (Note to Luna: I got the kit from em3ev, not Luna. As it is one of the most highly recommended sellers when Luna is out of stock, which is often)
          I have not really done any hardcore trails or taken many roots or rocks yet, and the build itself only has about 166 miles of mostly road, easy single track and fire road riding.
          So, note to everyone who DOES want to hit the trails hard, catch some air, and live through a crash. You might need to get better crank arms than bafang will provide you.
          I am hoping Lunas upgrade will prevent this from being a problem in the future, given I don't do stupid things or crash hard.

So, my question is, Which problem do you think is the most likely cause (1-4)?
          under tightened

Comment

For the BBSHD 100mm motor, what is the width between the part of the motor (secondary reduction gear housing?) that touches the drive side bottom bracket, and the outside surface of the motor on the drive side where the chainring is mounted? The chainring offset guide shows the width as 33.85mm for the 68mm version of the BBSHD. Is it the same width for the 100mm version of the BBSHD?

Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              If you are asking if the secondary reduction gear housing itself is the same width on all motors, yes it is. If that is not what you are asking could you clarify?

• TaylorN
              TaylorN commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, that is exactly what I was asking and hoping for. Thanks!

I have an error popping up.

H21

and it shows a picture of a transmission in the bottom right corner of the display.

sometimes bike turns off.

error goes away sometimes.

what is it?

Comment

I just bought a 73-100mm BBSHD kit to convert my 2020 Kona big Honzo with Powerspline 73mm BB. Should I have gotten the 68-73mm kit?

Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Kind of depends on your chainstay. You can definitely make a 100 work on a 73 with spacers and special mount brackets etc, and you might even have to on a 73 if your chainstay flares out in such a way that it prevents fully inserting the motor into the bottom bracket shell.
          Working...
          X