Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I purchased the HD mid drive a couple years ago. No complaints. But I believe I got the hot rod edition (?) How does that affect the system overall, versus a "normal" hd motor? I was curious since my first battery didn't work very long and I'm looking to buy a new battery for my cargo bike (350-400lbs total for rider, bike and cargo).

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Should be fine with the Hot Rod. The motor can definitely handle it and more :) Your battery longevity is a whole other subject though and usually doesn't have much to do with the motor. There's a really good guide written up on how to store and use lithium batteries properly on our knowledge base. I recommend taking a look at it for sure

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ging-batteries

Comment

I am having one issue I'm running a 2 kilowatt system my speed controller does not have a heads-up display or a programming chip but it does however have a factory soft start is there any way to reset the controller or bypass the soft start so I can have all the power in the throttle response at once and if so how

Comment

Hi,
        I just greased the main steel gear on one of my BBSHDs and there was no gasket. Is there supposed to be one of these? https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-p...el-gear-bbshd/
        Or are the machined surfaces flat enough to keep a good seal?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Bbshd usually has a paper gasket there. if you have had the motor for a while I suppose it might be possible that the gasket degraded over time, or it just ripped apart when you removed the cover. They tend to do that.

You could probably use gasket compound around the edges if you had to

I just finished my first ebike build, a 2020 Salsa Timberjack, Shimano SLX 1x12, 27.5+, with a BBSHD Luna hot rod. I love it!

Two noobie questions:
        1. I’m running 27.5 wheels with 2.8” tires. What setting in the display will give me the most accurate speed / distance readings?
        2. Is the stock thumb throttle strictly an on/off deal, or can it be programmed to be variable speed?

Thanks in advance!
        AchyLegs in New Mexico

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I would probably try different settings and check it against any speedo app on your cellphone. There may also be different settings available depending on what display you are using.

The throttle response can be fine tuned using a program cable and loading one of the other profiles. I recommend Limitless. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives

I ride on a BBSHD and 48V battery, but I'm going to change it to 52V. I also have a C18 display. Will it become useless - possibly for which it should be replaced.

With BBSHD I got useless brake handles with engine switches, I have a question if the sensors can be used somehow with hydraulic brakes. After removing them from the brake housing, for example, with the help of an additional button, one could use a very low-functioning gear shift sensor.
        Last edited by Cezar; 06-16-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          You'll be fine with a 52v. Nothing will be useless.

For the second part, you could probably do that but not sure if it's worth the effort vs just buying a pair of hydraulic sensors...

I finally got my 5.Spot running yesterday, the Bafang BBSHD from Luna, with I'm guessing the stock controller? I have the EggRider and it displays 61.5v with my fully charged 15s battery. Forgive me if this topic has been done to death, but believe me I've searched, here, YouTube, other places, and have not found much info on using 15s batteries with the BBSHD. I read somewhere that the capacitors should be rated for 63volts? I read somewhere that I would have to "trick" the controller by installing a resistor or preferably a diode to make it think the voltage was below some magic number? So far it runs just fine without doing anything like that. The EggRider displays the correct voltage, but in the settings you can set it for a 48v, or 52v battery, I really wish the ebike world would just follow RC standard of calling a pack by it's cells in series, I'm running a 15s battery, most of the packs available are 14s, can anyone she'd she'd any light on problems I may run into with this setup? Thank you, and I'll try to get some better pictures to put in the new build thread, thanks again.

Comment

• kkantner
          kkantner commented
          Editing a comment
          The voltage on the DeWalt 60V pack should drop pretty fast after just a few seconds of use. You could check the voltage after charging, running the mower for a bit, and letting it rest for a bit. Likely it will be below 60V or even 58.8V. I have already fried a few items rated at 60V trying to use them on a 52V system that often sees 58.8V. There are transients and the 60V or 63V capacitors don't always immediately fail at the rated voltage. I would be nervous connecting a 15s pack to the controller without getting the voltage below 60V or 58.8V

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          There isn't any controller right now that will handle 60v batteries unless it's custom made. I'd recommend downgrading to a 14S battery unless you're okay with the risks of damaging your motor.

• Delve
          Delve commented
          Editing a comment
          HIGHVOLTAGE, the name says it all

Hi, just got my X1 thanks. I plugged in the charger and after a half hour checked it and it seems REALLY hot and is giving off a smell. Is this normal for a new charger? Does the charger that comes with the X1 have a fan? I can hear a very slight noise inside so wondering if maybe the fan is broken and that's why it's getting so hot. I have a 52v 3A charger that came with my FREY Ultra bike with the same battery plug so decided to finish charging with that as I'm concerned about the heat and smell.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I would be a lot more concerned about charging that 48v battery with the 52v charger compared to the original charger getting hot, that's bad for the battery and could cause a fire.

If you let me know the order# we can send you a new charger

Just realized this thread is for technical questions. Disregard the below - I'll try and find the info elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------

For the Luna Fixed Stealth:

1) Do you have geometry/measurements for the 3 sizes? I'm in between and it would figure out which would work best.
        2) On the product page, in some places the motor is listed as 400W. In other places it says 500W. Can you clarify the discrepancies?
        3) Who makes the motor? This will help me decide whether to opt for the warranty.

Thank you.
        Last edited by Kipa; 06-18-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          There is standover height on the listing in the sizing section
          The power stated was a typo, it has been fixed
          We do not say who makes the motor

I have the Luna Cycle model that used the KHS500 Four Season with the BBSHD motor and Ludi controller. It has the big 52V battery. One of the XT60 connectors failed between the charger and connector to the battery and would not charge (of course). Upon inspection, the wire from the charger to the controller was also failing (few strands of the wire were still connected to the solder).

After soldering the charger cable, I noticed there are 2 XT60 connectors/adapters in line between the charging connection and the battery. One is a male to female and the other one is male to male.

While reconnecting the charger, I noticed that I could remove the 2 adapters to connect the charging cable to the XT60 connector for the battery. However, when I did that the charger kept cycling on and off. I had another make to female connector that I put in line and the charger seemed to work. However, when I turned on the display, the voltage was bouncing between 22 and 35. When I got off the bike yesterday, the voltage was at 44v.

My question is, why are there adapters in line between the charging cable and the battery? Is this to provide a load or resistance?

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          We can ship you one. What was your order# and are you still at the same address as that order

• Patman
          Patman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for offering to send the adapter. I don't have the order number for the original bike. However, I just ordered a new KHS500 bike for my wife, because she liked mine so much. The order number for that one is 124996. If that bike is going to be shipped right away, feel free to throw it in the same shipment. I have the big blue charger and XT60 plugs. I'm not sure if the new ones are different. Thank you so much!

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          That's fine I got the address from that order#, we will ship it separate though just a heads up

Can I use an Eclipse chainring on KHS-500?

I purchased a KHS-500 and it came with a 40T one piece ring that has 9mm offset ( I believe). I want to go to a larger ring and it seems my only option is the Eclipse which has a 22mm offset. Any advice on what to do here other than adding 5 or 6 2mm spacers?

Comment

• Patman
          Patman commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the KHS500 with a 36 and wanted to go bigger. I purchased the 48 Eclipse and wasn't even lose to fitting, even with spacers. It's good to know the 40 fits
          Last edited by Patman; 06-20-2020, 07:36 AM.

• Patman
          Patman commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, Which 40T do you have? I want to check it out.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          If you need to use multiple chainring spacers just use longer chainring bolts. This is described here

https://streamable.com/cieoq

Can I use this Bafang Thumb Throttle on my BBS02 48V 750W motor?

I am using a Luna 48v Panasonic 13.5ah Shark Pack that I installed and have had no trouble with. I recently put this Thumb Throttle on, and it works really poorly:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s00?pldnSite=1

It sort of turns the motor on, but it isn't reliable and is very hurky-jerky. Is this a problem with this Thumb Throttle? I'm happy to buy a Luna one instead, but most of yours seem to be out of stock and slow to ship -- this one was available and arrived very quickly!

Thank you!

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Try changing the program settings in the controller, that may help

• zberke
          zberke commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply! I don't have a programming cable, nor a Windows computer... so I'm not sure I'm equipped to do that, at least for the moment.

Will any the throttles available to purchase from Luna be setup to "just work" with my setup, or will they all require me to reprogram my controller?

Thanks!

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Who knows, throttle response is a very subjective experience. What I do know is that if you use the bafang programmer with the program cable, which only costs 20 bucks, you can adjust it to suit your tastes. There is a throttle tab. I would lower start current % to 1, and maybe change the start and end voltage.

I just got my Luna 860c display, I had a DPC-18 from Bafang Direct. With the DPC-18 I had 9 assist levels, with the Luna 850c I only have 5... I can't find where to change that to 9 levels. Love it that I'm not limited to where I put the display, which is the sole reason I bought the 850c, however it does me no good with only 5 levels for how I ride. (Fat Trike) Any suggestions? Thanks!
        Last edited by DSM-Dave; 06-19-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I think latest only goes up to 5.

I have a 52V Advanced 300W Charger with a dead display.

There IS current when I plug it in to the AC, I can hear the arc. But I did not amp clamp it for a current flow figure. There is no DC current flow.

The internal input fuse is NOT open. Verified with a continuity test and visual.

The cooling fan does NOT operate.

I do not see any burned components and there is no trace of the smell of electrical death internal to the case.

This unit is three years old and the bike has just over 1000 miles on it.

What are my options?

Thanks!
        Jeff

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          It probably needs to be replaced. When they die like that there is no repairing them

• jcurtis4082
          jcurtis4082 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks paxtana. The smaller version was ordered after I posted last night. (-;

Regards, J

Originally posted by lg22woo View Post
        Hi all,

I recently had my ebike suddenly stop working while motoring along at a normal speed. I took a quick look and found a green wire from the throttle had come loose from its connector. Easy fix, right? Nope.

I put the wire back together - no luck. I replaced all throttle connectors with new ones - no luck. I got a slight twitch from the motor a few times when I twisted the throttle, but nothing more. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen before: the ASI controller is blinking with a red light. Not sure what it means and couldn't find anything relevant in the product manual.

I have:
        Cyclone 3000 W
        ASI BAC 800 controller
        60V 24.5 Ah luna triangle battery
        Luna throttle

What's going on here that I'm missing?

EDIT: controller is blinking a red LED in this pattern:
        1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 2, 5, 6,
        1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 2, 5, 6
        1, 6….
        Found this troubleshooting guide
        http://www.accelerated-systems.com/KB/?p=731
        but still don't know what the problem is. The battery reads 65.2 volts with a multimeter, which is over the 60 volt rating, but that's been the case every time the battery has been fully charged (I've had several months of this exact setup with no issues).
        I also have the ASI BAC 800 controller. I use a 72 volt battery and when I fully charge it to 84 volts, the red light flashes. The throttle doesn't work but the display turns on and the gear sensor turns on. What is going on? When the battery voltage is below 80 volts, everything works. The red light doesn't flash and stays solid.

Comment

Working...
      X