Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Can I use the usb programming cable for BBSHD ?
    Last edited by john123; 10-16-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Diggs Ut
      Diggs Ut commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure which is what is great about the BBHSD from Luna. Mine is programmed as a cruise control. My preferred cadence is about 15 mph and I've programmed it so that it brings on power if I drop below that and tapers off the power if I go above that. Love this setting for the long-hauls I like to do.

An alternative would be a charger that you can lock into a fixed voltage. Check my build thread for my Canondale SuperV. The charger I assembled holds voltage, so I can leave my battery plugged in all day safely. I have watched it hold voltage as my battery balances, then I bumped it up 0.2V at a time. Each time it stopped increasing voltage and held right where I wanted it to. With my charger, each of your packs would be within .01V every charge, at whatever voltage you want.

Jose

Comment

Yuba Mundo questions:

1. What is the length of the BBS02 harness cable -- as measured from the motor to the connector on the other end? I'm building a Yuba Mundo and am trying to decide if I should get an 8" or 15" harness extension cable. I don't want to have an extra 7" to have to tidy up with the 15" if an 8" will suffice.

2. Does anyone know if the 8" speedo extension cable will suffice for use on a Yuba mundo? That is the only extension length that Luna has in stock, so it's this or nothing (for now with the Port of LA all jammed up =(

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Standard harness is about 30"

just unboxed and charged the x1 enduro. no power. any suggestions?
      i did open a support ticket.

Comment

What are the corresponding voltages for charger shut down on the 80/90/100% charger?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Not really specific, as they are set with potentiometers which have at least a little drift. But you can see charts showing estimates on this page https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ries-basic-faq

Just keep in mind they are estimates, a guarantee you will get that specific number right down to a tenth of a volt. Many of those chargers can also be adjusted as noted in the documentation.

• Mike_V
        Mike_V commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ! To both:
        Informative Q & A
        Mike

Please give me a refresher on the best grease(s) to use in a BBSHD.
      I recently thoroughly cleaned one of mine, and regreased both the primary and secondary with Mobil 28, which I’d seen recommended.
      Now I’ve seen SCH100 recommended as a better choice, due to Mobil 28’s incompatibility with lithium lube.
      That leads me to two questions:
      1) I have a peek gear on order from Luna, and the description mentions that it’s been pre-lubed. Will that be with lithium lube, that I should remove, if I want to use my Mobil 28 in the primary of another BBSHD, in which I’m installing the peek gear?
      2)On the same order I have another BBSHD, for a third bike, and I’d like to open, and possibly add grease, to the secondary reduction gear, before installing the drive.
      Am I correct in thinking that’s lubricated with molly grease, so I shouldn’t have any issues with just adding Mobil 28 to whatever is already there?
      I have a tube of the SCH100 on order, so I could just wait for that to arrive, if it’s a better choice.
      Thanks
      Last edited by MIKEinNC; 10-12-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe they are using mobil28 prelubed.

I can't speak to whether sch100 is better, but I have added mobil28 to motors that I have used since 2016, never bothered to clean off anything, at most just wiped off any excess preapplied grease. Never had a problem, though that is not a guarantee.

Thanks, Paxtana.

Comment

Hi, Eric. I bought a 48v 3amp Mini Charger 9/10/20. Looking at the plug, the brown wire goes to (+) the blue to (-) but the manual says if I need to change the plug (I do) "be sure the blue goes to (+) and the brown goes to (-)." Which is correct?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          The correct polarity should be printed directly on the sticker affixed to the charger. You can also see the polarity right on the xt60, each side is stamped + or -. You can also double check with any multimeter

• Andy Salmon
          Andy Salmon commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, then the instructions are WRONG!

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, basically. It was written for a previous revision

i have a new luna x1 enduro and when i try to torque the front wheel axle to spec it makes the wheel too tight and won't spin freely as it should. it's not the disc brake, it is tight without the brake attached. i must of missed putting in a spacer between the fork and the wheel (or something). if you could let me know what's up i'd appreciate it. as well i have two plastic light gray barrels for the rockshox but don't know what they are for. clue me in please.
        Last edited by eastSideGreg; 10-14-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are attempting to use it without the spacers for the front wheel then I would say that is probably the cause of the issue. See the pic on this page and check if you added those. Last I checked they would usually be ziptied to the bike

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bike#post93790

Hello all,
        I am looking for a way - how to discharge the battery safely at home, not by bike - at least a few volts ..

Comment

Cezar Here is a graphic I made for a testing video which goes over some options. This was on a video using a brake resistor as the discharger.

Last edited by paxtana; 10-15-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Cezar
            Cezar commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the answer.
            I have an ordinary old electric heater (not digital) and a toaster - I will try to discharge the battery with them.
            Last edited by Cezar; 10-16-2020, 01:00 AM.

A light bulb if you can still find one would be the easiest way I can think of for most people. Everything else can be a lot harder to understand what sort of load it will be and how to safely mount it and such. At least a light bulb you know is rated for 120v and isn't hard to come up with a mount and connect. A 60w won't get that hot but will take some time to really make a dent in the charge. If you want to discharge it fairly quickly try and find one of those old school 500w halogen work lights. You know the kind that use the long narrow bulb and were good at creating a lot of heat and starting anything they touched on fire. Wait did you want safe?

Comment

Just happened to be online looking at Home Depot and this is still a stock item at my local store. $10 and you are almost done. Cut the regular plug off the end and splice on the pigtails for your battery and you should be set. Quick math in my head (which could be wrong) is you would be getting around 60 watt load at 48v so not gonna suck the juice as fast as a nice pedal assist on flat ground but will still get the job done. I'm sure they have a $10 volt meter you could buy too and splice in with your pigtail so you can see whats going on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-250-...5669/300453898

Comment

• Cezar
              Cezar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the answer.
              I live in Europe - we have 230V voltage here.
              I tried to connect a soldering iron about 30W - normally working on 230V AC. After an hour, it was barely warm, but low power and the voltage drop was very slow. I need discharging in order to properly store the battery in winter - I wanted to charge it and discharge it once a month. And what would happen if I connected a small electric heater to heat the air about 1kW - without a fan?
              Last edited by Cezar; 10-16-2020, 01:01 AM.

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              A restive load (something that is basically a heater) is different than most other loads. Most loads as the voltage goes up the amps or watts needed goes down. Resistors work the other way, more voltage means more amps or watts. That is why your soldering iron that was rated 30watts and 230 didn't do much if you were running it at only around 1/4 of its voltage. I don't know if the heater would be a good idea without the fan. You won't be running it at full power but it may still need the fan to be happy. Can you still buy halogen lamps there? Maybe on the used market? I'm sure just like here they used to be very common as portable work lights and for outdoor use. Made lots of heat and used lots of power so most people are now using LED's but that is what we want in this case.

• Cezar
              Cezar commented
              Editing a comment
              Electric room heater - analog - passes the exam perfectly when discharging a bicycle battery. A good way to keep the battery in good condition in winter - 800 W - in half an hour and we have a voltage drop of 1V ..

I recently purchased a 52v basic charger, as part of a BBSHD kit.
            Unfortunately, it has a 3 prong barrel connector, rather than the XT60 connector I need to charge my Mighty Mini, or Wolf battery.
            Do you have an adapter or, if I cut the barrel connector off, will I be able to splice two of the wires to an XT60 pigtail ?

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes if you cut off the end you can put XT60 on it

Thanks, Paxtana .
            Just out of curiosity, what is the function of the yellow wire in the basic charger cord ?
            Is it feeding back some sort of state of charge info from the battery, that my Luna smart chargers calculate without a third wire ?
            When I use it, do I need to be more careful to unplug the charger immediately, once the battery is charged ?

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              I doubt it goes to anything but I suppose I could be wrong. Just make sure you use a multimeter to get the polarity right for positive and negative and it should operate the same as when it had the other plug on it. You can't really get a three-pin mini XLR plug with only two wires in the cable so it probably just came like that.
              Last edited by paxtana; 10-17-2020, 12:59 PM.
          Working...
          X