Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again, paxtana.
    The other two wires were red and black, and they tested out as + and - as expected.

Comment

Luna - I'm hoping you can help me troubleshoot the capacity on my Wolf battery.

I've had this battery 18 months and put about 500 miles on it with a BBSHD on a fat bike running a mighty-mini ring. Most of my rides are only 3-4 miles round trip but 3-500 feet of climbing so I keep the battery in the 20-80% range. I've always felt I had to charge too frequently so I but a watt meter on it.

I have the following battery.
      52-WOLF-GA-13.5-BLK LUNA FUSION: WOLF 52v 13.5AH GA - STEALTH BLACK

Battery charges to 58.7V
      I had the Watt Meter on it for a longer ride where I used pedal assist and kept the load below 1000w.
      I have a 47.89V reading on the Watt Meter which I calculate to be 35% capacity remaining or 65% used.
      The Watt Meter shows me at .15KWH which I translate to 150 Watt Hours
      I calculate the battery pack capacity at 52V X 13.5A = 702 Watt Hours
      The 150/702 = 21.3%
      The meter shows 3.42 AH consumed which I have as 25% of capacity consumed so not too far off the Watt Hours.

Based on the Watt Hours, these calculations would tell me that I should have used roughly 2x the watt hours to get to this level of discharge.

I know these numbers are not exactly precise but this seems like the capacity is too low. I know from experience that from what the display is showing if I run this much more it will hit the LVC and kick off. At this point I'd normally charge the battery back up to 80%.

If I'm mis-reading the gauge or wrong with some calculations I hope you can point that out or help me determine how to resolve if there is a capacity issue.

Thank you for the assistance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201020_040440369.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	116370

Name:	PXL_20201020_040509407.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	116368

Name:	PXL_20201020_040444848.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	116369

Attached Files

Comment

Only had sur ron x for 2 weeks, yesterday the s'morning the battery was at 30% rode till 28% everything was fine and throttle worked. Then charged to 100%, took it off charger, then tightened front brake and turned on bike, then tried to ride bike and the throttle had no response like it's dead or something.

Comment

it powers on fine and everything lights up, and I even loosened the front brake back to where it was and still no response from the throttle. what else should I do with the ebrakes.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are still having issue please email support, but the step by step guide is fairly straightforward

Hey need some help with a controller. I changed settings and now can’t seem to get pedal assist back

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Try putting it back to stock config. If it is bbsxx and you are using our config software, it has stock config preloaded

None of the supplied bolts in my Luna kit will fit to the 2 bolt bracket on the motor. The big ones are too big and the small ones are too small. How did this not ship with the correct size bolts that fit into the motor?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Would need to know what kit, what order# and a picture of what you got (showing the bolts you received) in order to properly respond.

Thanks, after a little digging, I found a post that helped me resolve the issue. My post jumped the gun.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear it's all worked out.

Sur-ron at the speed of 8 km/h and more makes a beep signal (https://youtu.be/0Z7zY3yin-0). How can I fix this?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Given your location you did not get this from Luna so it would make sense to contact the dealer you bought it from. Maybe it just needs to be hotrodded, who knows.

my Sur ron makes noise when I move it, should I spray wd-40 on chain not sure where noise is coming from, or can it be one of the axle's are to tight.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably want to identify where it is coming from and what kind of sound it is rather than just spraying wd40 everywhere.

my Sur ron makes noise, 1 month old, 250 miles, do not know where its coming from

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Try adjusting the tension on that belt. If it sounds more like grinding at higher speed it might be the jackshaft.

Hello,

I purchased and installed a BBSHD on my folding bike about two weeks ago. A few days ago when on a ride, the screen and motor cut out, and I could not power back on (blank screen despite holding the power button). The BBSHD has about 60 miles on it. I was not running the motor hard when it cut out; it was probably at around 700-800W. I also didn't smell any burning, like from smoked FETs. I programmed the controller right when I got the BBSHD (using "Karl's special sauce" values), but followed the guide and was very careful not to set anything to an unsafe value. I rode it for about a week with these programmed values with no issues.

When I got the bike home, I did the following to troubleshoot:
      • Read Karl's troubleshooting guide.
      • Waited a bit and tried powering on again.
      • Dielectric greased and re-seated all connectors, including battery and signal wiring harness.
      • Checked voltage on battery (Wolf Pack) with multimeter, which shows a good charge. I can charge it OK with my Cycle Satiator.
      • Plugged in my battery, then my Bafang serial cable to the motor via the wiring harness, and attempted to connect to the COM port in the programming application. I could not get any response from the controller when clicking "Connect".
      Given this behavior, I'm thinking it could be the following:
      • Issue with the controller: burned FETs? But it didn't have many miles and wasn't going hard when it cut out, and it doesn't have the "backward resistance" described in the troubleshooting guide.
      • Issue with main 8-pin cable. Was thinking this was the most likely culprit. Maybe the folding of my bike created a pinch point that damaged one of the internal wires? There was a point that seemed slightly pinched, so I cut and inspected it, and didn't see any damage. Soldered all 8 internal wires back up and still same issue.
      • Issue with the power cable. I checked continuity on the Anderson-to-XT60 adapter for the Wolf Pack, and it was good. So it would have to be along the power cable between the adapter and the motor. Didn't see any visible damage to this cable.
      Next steps:
      • Was thinking I would open up the side panel on BBSHD to access controller. Inspect FETs to see if any visible damage. Want to try changing cabling that goes into the BBSHD. Is this possible to do without replacing the entire controller? Would something like this be under warranty from Luna?

Thank you.
      Last edited by dunnjh; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Check the XT90 anti-spark resistor did not get damaged by plugging into the backup

• dunnjh
        dunnjh commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. Checked and same issue using both XT90 connectors of the Wolf Pack.Will open up the controller per 73Eldo's recommendation and see what I find. Hopefully something simple like a loose connection.

I would open up the controller section for a look. You may be able to see a problem like something burnt but may also get lucky and see a loose connector or pulled out wire that is easily fixed. I don't think you can easily access the wiring harness at the board so I don't think you will easily be able to test or replace the harness.

As you likely saw with your inspection of the wires these are pretty small and low quality wires so damage is certainly possible especially if you think something may have got pinched or stretched related to the folding. I had a minor crash that spun my bars around and broke the water bottle cage that normally stops things. I didn't think it pulled that hard but it must have because I lost everything which I assume was just damage to a common power or ground wire. It looked fine but I grabbed the harness off another bike and all was fine.

Comment

• dunnjh
        dunnjh commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. Will open up the controller and see what I find.

My brother bought bought a Bafang BBS02 with an EggRider v2 display, but he told me that the app keeps crashing so I tried it out. When opening the app on my phone it says 'Error: please update the application'. There's no newer version available though (I downloaded it through the Google Play Store, version 2.4.18).

I also read the reviews on the Play Store and saw that two people posted a review about the same issue on October 15th (yesterday).

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Contact eggrider support

Hello all,

I wonder if the more universal definition of the quality, usefulness and condition of the battery should not be the term "how many Volts do I need for 10 km - (or miles)" .. It is known that with different nominal voltages, capacities and driving style, these will be different values, but it is known that, for example, for a 52V battery we have a real use of about 58 - 44 = 14V. We will also measure how many km we can drive on these 14V, so how much will the value of V / 10km be. It is known that energy consumption is not linear, that it depends on the driving style, but still gives a better picture of the battery condition than the term Wh / km.14V is a finite number, and Wh is an enigmatic value - we never discharge the battery to zero, so what if we have 550 Wh or 910 Wh, these are nominal values ​​- hypothetical, and the amount of V is measurable, at the beginning after charging and finally after the battery is depleted ..
      Seeing the current battery voltage and Trip on the display - I know exactly how much Volt I have used. And regardless of the capacity or nominal voltage, I know on an ongoing basis how much V I need per unit of distance.
      I know that on flat terrain, when using 200-300W and speeds of up to 30 km / h, I need about 1V / 10km for a voltage of 57-50V, below about 1V / 8km .. and the distance decreases as the voltage drops to 1V / 7km

What do you think about it?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Then you have to get into whether you are talking unloaded or loaded voltage.

• Cezar
        Cezar commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't quite understand what you mean. I can see the current voltage on the display and it is actually slightly lower than the battery voltage after charging it on the desk - this difference is about 0.4V and it has no significant influence on the measurement of "energy consumption". I use 58V as the start of the measurement, and 14V as the end (for batteries with a nominal value other than 52V, the data will be correspondingly different, of course). Knowing the voltage drop and the distance traveled - we know the voltage demand per unit of distance - and this is regardless of the nominal value of the battery, its capacity, and the need for assistance, i.e. whether we are driving on flat or mountainous terrain. It is known that this indicator will be different for all individual cases, but it will give us a general picture of the battery condition under given conditions .. It will also be an ideal and natural indicator of our range, and not what Bosch engines or other show absurdly on the displays.

Regarding my earlier post: opened up the controller, and none of the phase or data wires or connectors look broken or out-of-place. FETs are potted which prevents direct inspection, but there was no discoloration on the potting that would indicate a burnout.

Will contact Luna support to request a replacement.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X